Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 9,278 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I have a difficult decision to make and am I'm curious to hear your thoughts...

I am an international student graduating with a PhD at Columbia and I always wanted to stay in NYC afterwards. I even chose to attend school in NYC in order to make it easier to stay here. However, I was just offered a job in Paris (two years contract) and now I feel conflicted. I am tempted but if I leave it might be difficult to come back later. I just don't know.

I have lived in NYC for 5 years but I can't get enough of it and I miss NYC every time I am away. Also, it was very difficult to enjoy the city on a student budget and I was really looking to having a real job and a better lifestyle. I don't speak French so the job in Paris is also a great opportunity. If I had US citizenship and could come back in two years I would take the offer in a heartbeat.

What would you choose if you had to make this decision?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Take the Paris job. New York will always be here. At this juncture you need experience in your field and an income. Paris offers you both. Do well there and perhaps you can come back here wit a higher salary than you would have if you took a job here right away. I don't know your field but that's possible, no?

And let's face it. Living in Paris is not like living in some dump. It IS Paris, after all.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,931 times
In a NY minute!

I've always dreamed of living there. Eventually I'll go there.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,676 times
If you want to be jobless and poor, stay

Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
do you have a job in NYC? if not, might as well go to Paris. You are young and NYC will always be here.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
I wouldn't because I don't like Parisians.Don't know how to advise you.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairdelune007 View Post
Hi everybody!

I am an international student graduating with a PhD at Columbia and I always wanted to stay in NYC afterwards. I even chose to attend school in NYC in order to make it easier to stay here. However, I was just offered a job in Paris (two years contract) and now I feel conflicted. I am tempted but if I leave it might be difficult to come back later. I just don't know.

I have lived in NYC for 5 years but I can't get enough of it and I miss NYC every time I am away. Also, it was very difficult to enjoy the city on a student budget and I was really looking to having a real job and a better lifestyle. I don't speak French so the job in Paris is also a great opportunity. If I had US citizenship and could come back in two years I would take the offer in a heartbeat.

Thanks!!!
If you are an "international student" you are ineligible to work in the U.S. unless you are sponsored by an employer via an H1-B Visa. Surely, you are aware of this...

Anyhow, I'm sure you will enjoy Paris, it's a great city.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
If you want to be jobless and poor, stay
And illegal/undocumented...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Paris is great especially if you have a job to support your expenses. Take the offer and see where else it leads to. If the job does not require you to speak French then no problem.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairdelune007 View Post
Hi everybody!

Thanks!!!
It's hard to answer without knowing what your other offers are and where they are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City