Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 15,763 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently got layed off of my job, and my midtown manhattan apartment is going to soon become unaffordable to me. So i've been searching for cheap apartments near midtown manhatan and here is what i've come up with. What i would like to know is, are these neighboorhoods safe? Would you walk around these neighboorhoods at night? Would I become a target/stick out in these neighboorhoods if i were to commute in a very expensive suit/shoes?
I'd really appreciate it. I would just walk around these myself, but im searching for a job and i don't really have the time.
Manhattan:

Harlem (110ST-126ST)

East 103ST (Manhattan)

Washinton Heights

Also, these apts aren't in manhattan but the rent in these neighbourhoods is so low im considing choosing one of these and saving some money, so how safe are these areas?

Mott Haven Houses (Bronx)
Castle Hill Houses (Bronx)
East Tremont Area (Bronx)
Any Answers Would be much Appriciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 15,763 times
can someone please give me some real advice on these neighbourhoods? This isn't a troll post ! Im not sure why people think it is ethier.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianf View Post
can someone please give me some real advice on these neighbourhoods? This isn't a troll post ! Im not sure why people think it is ethier.
All those areas are pretty bad, but if I had to recommend one, it would be Washington Heights,

Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
You can't afford midtown Manhattan, so you immediately start looking at projects in the Bronx.

??????????

Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times
If you can get into Mott Haven Houses jump on it, I hear the amenities are superlative

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
If you can get into Mott Haven Houses jump on it, I hear the amenities are superlative
Yeah. Webster houses are top of the line too. The locals will love you!!

Seriously OP, the bronx locations are nowhere near midtown manhattan. -_-

Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I think Washington Heights isn't too bad.

What is your budget going to be and are you willing to consider other neighborhoods outside of Manhattan (outside of your list)?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 3,534 times
I just moved to Sunnyside. 7 train gets you to TS in 10 minutes. or take the Q32 to Lexington and 58th street in about 15 minutes.

Lots of cool restaurants, shops and conveniences. I live at Bliss St. (46th) subway stop on Skillman Avenue and everyone that is here is young and upwardly mobile or older and settled. More dogs per capita than I've seen anywhere. Sunnyside feels more like New York than New York to me.

Just saying... You could also look into Long Island City (A couple of stops closer to Manhattan than where I am). LIC is definately young and hip. Maybe more hip than Williamsburg (except LICers actually have jobs (so you may not fit in!).

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Harlem (110ST-126ST) - Which side of Harlem? If it's west, then sure, if it's east then HELL TO THE NO

East 103ST (Manhattan) - It's ok

Washinton Heights - Depends on the street but otherwise okay

Also, these apts aren't in manhattan but the rent in these neighbourhoods is so low im considing choosing one of these and saving some money, so how safe are these areas?

Mott Haven Houses (Bronx) = NO
Castle Hill Houses (Bronx) NO
East Tremont Area (Bronx) NO
Any Answers Would be much Appriciated. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Harlem (110ST-126ST) - Which side of Harlem? If it's west, then sure, if it's east then HELL TO THE NO
"West" meaning west of St. Nicholas Park, and consider the Terrace with great caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City