Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
they don't like to see a brother not making
money and hate to see a brother trying to
make some money, and hate even more to
see a brother make any money.
Oh really. Who is "they"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
Not entrepreneurship at all, but more like a 3rd word rebel check point where they harass you for money, items and make threats. All that is missing are the rusty Ak's.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Oh really. Who is "they"?
They know who they are lol.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
What are they going to try to do to me if I take a picture of it anyway (without paying)? I'll give them money out of pity.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What are they going to try to do to me if I take a picture of it anyway (without paying)? I'll give them money out of pity.

For art they did not create or brainstorm and on a piece of property they don't even own.

Coordinates here - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+...29.63,,0,-3.33

On another note. How did these artist or 'transplants' manage to remove the parking sign, chop it up and use it as an art piece just a few feet away without being fined.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereotypical Black Man View Post
A few people paid me the $20, and a lot just were scared or disgusted and left. The funny thing about this was anyone intelligent would have taken a picture of me and my setup blocking the exhibit which was our own statement on consumerism, art appreciation, and HYPE, and it was a fleeting moment as I didn't have all day to stand around eating pizza with my peoples.

We were not trying to harass these people, I was just making a statement showing how hypocritical and simple most of society is. You would have spent 20-40 to go the museum to view the exhibit (making the rich richer) but you want to step foot on peoples block and not even chip in $5 each to see the exhibit -- even though you spent $60-$100 to get here in a cab.. each way.

I respect the dude who edited this particular video though because he cut out parts where I spoke really crazy, so that shows where his heart was at. That was all a work of art in itself people, save your applause and move along.
Agree this is way over-hyped. I don't see what so special about Banksy's artwork. But the people not
paying you is not because of $5-$20, they probably don't think you deserve the money. It's about not
rewarding bums who hold other people's work hostage for personal gain. These streets are public
space, that building is owned by a landlord, it's not YOUR block, you don't deserve a penny. It would've
been better if you just ask $20 for fixing your teeth.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Banksy probably set this up himself.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 AM

60 posts, read 80,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Uh, when you drop $20 at a museum [$40????? When was the last time you went to an art museum? And $100 by cab? Where do you think they're coming from, Albany?] that entrance doesn't entitle you to see just one work of art.
Do some research on the artist in question. Put just one of his pieces in a museum or gallery, sit back with your popcorn and watch what people in the United States of America would be willing to pay to get in.

Quote:
Demanding $20 to see just one piece, in a public venue, on a public canvas no less, is...well, ridiculous. In addition any kind of artist who chooses a venue like a sidewalk or a wall knows that--they choose it knowing they won't get any money for it.
Ridiculous to you is all good with me, but was it ridiculous to the people that came to see the work was the $20 question.

Quote:
This is just silly opportunism. Please don't try to make this out to be some kind of grand statement of principle. You just wanted to make a quick buck.
Please don't feel bad because I forced you think beyond what was presented to you visually and think of the situation from a different perspective. Sometimes that happens in life. By the way no wallets were harmed in the making of this video, everyone -- except for one person who scurried off -- got their $ back after their photos.

Anyone wanting to know more about Banksy and similar artist, should check out the excellent documentary from maybe two years ago titled "Exit Through The Gift Ship". Watch that and then revisit this thread and video. You might see things in yet another perspective.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, I'm at a loss for this whole hoopla, someone please inform me on what this whole "Banksy" thing is all about? Why are they charging people? Who or what is Banksy? I really don't know anything and I'm getting annoyed about this whole thing. What are they trying to protect?
Banksy is an anonymous street artist. He started his work in Bristol and London and he is here in NYC for a month putting up art. He is probably the most well-known street artist around so when his work is put up there's a lot of hoopla surrounding it.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
How do you know banksy didn't hire them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City