Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

163 posts, read 484,775 times

Advertisements

no updates! hope this is over with a happy ending that he is well and home..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Believe you. I work in LIC. The posters are all over my building and we have monitors in the elevator banks which still run the Missing Person poster.
The posters are up in Nassau County, Long Island.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think it is 50/50 that he is alive and if so he probably went off with someone he knew like a family member or friend. The parents don't seem to be as panicked as you might expect, with the father talking in a dispassionate manner about the search. I can't see a stranger abducting an autistic boy who can't speak who just happened to leave school on his own.
Maybe a family member or friend has the kid in hiding and this is a scheme to extort money from the City via a big lawsuit. Stranger things have happened. Look at the people/accomplices who have been recently caught and prosecuted faking their own deaths to get money from insurance or to get out of going to jail.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You don't have to go very far to read that in most stories about parents valiantly striving to care for an autistic child, almost everything in the household has been subordinated to that.

I know that everyone likes to be sympathetic to sad or lurid stories, but I wonder how many people would hold to that if everyone had to sign agreements that you'd have to give up all kinds of things in order that the city could afford to chase after every lost child who wanders off, every lost dog jumping onto the freeway. So, 11CAP, I think that's exactly what everyone would be worrying about - whether there would be a 5% jump in income tax, if sales tax would be raised to 15%, if food programs to poor children would be cut, if there were less garbage collection, if coop owners would lose their abatement. People rarely seem to remember that resources aren't unlimited.

That doesn't answer my question you quoted. How has your life personally been wrecked by an autistic child living at home instead of living in an institution for you to be so strongly in favor of them not living with their own families? Even more mixed up is how all your people have to choose between what "raises taxes and diverts resources talk" in THIS POST totally negates your strong "AUTISTIC CHILDREN SHOULD BE INSTITUTIONALIZED AND NOT LIVE AT HOME WITH THEIR FAMILIES" opinion because they "wreck people's lives." Obviously, if they are all institutionalized instead of living at home, that will cost quite a lot of taxpayer money and resources!

PS: I am not 11CAP.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
. Then it caught my attention when there was something on the news about some major amount of police manpower being allocated in the search - 50 cops, day after day.

So, I'm wondering. I'm okay with it being so prominent in the news, even though these are television stations that don't bother to carry the news we actually need, like issues of the mayoral election. But if you think of how much taxpayer money is being spent on this - does anyone else think that if this boy was so helpless, it was the parents' responsibility to snap something like a GPS gadget on him to keep tabs on him?
A GPS could be removed if the boy fell into harms way. Which at this point I suspect. We have a very large child sex trafficking industry, much more than people will want to admit.

The tremendous manpower is Bloomberg's attempt to minimize adverse publicity and to prepare for a major law suit. If the school promised that the boy would have been taken care of, and it didnt, then this is gross negligence.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I cannot see any school liability. A school is not a jail and anyone who does not want to be there is free to leave.

If the parents want the kid forcefully detained, they need a mental institution or a prison instead of a school.

Obviously you do NOT have kids. Parents send their kids to school in the hopes that they will be safe, this being especially true for very young kids, or those with challenges. If the school fails in this then this is a breach of contract, and they should be sued.

Parents cant be every where all the time and entrust adults in the school to assume responsibility. The same goes for childcare entities which have been vetted.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM

163 posts, read 484,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe a family member or friend has the kid in hiding and this is a scheme to extort money from the City via a big lawsuit. Stranger things have happened. Look at the people/accomplices who have been recently caught and prosecuted faking their own deaths to get money from insurance or to get out of going to jail.
you know this has crossed my mind.. because where is this kid, but then I think if their caught with this scheme they will go to jail putting the world to this sorrow into finding this kid..

Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The posters are up in Nassau County, Long Island.
What does that have to do with me agreeing about the posters in Long Island City? I was concurring with KK about the amount of posters that are out there.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What does that have to do with me agreeing about the posters in Long Island City? I was concurring with KK about the amount of posters that are out there.
I am just adding that the posters have made it out in force to Nassau County, Long Island too ...

Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I hope the kid's okay....but it's like 3 weeks now and he can't speak. How is he eating??

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City