Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Since they sold those apts "as is" in a couple of buildings a few years ago on Hamilton Place things changed a lot.
Your probably right, I still feel uneasy there due to previous experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM

120 posts, read 203,278 times
The thing is that the same reasons mentioned above that make the area isolated - will in turn make the area more desirable as it continues to "improve".

Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
The thing is that the same reasons mentioned above that make the area isolated - will in turn make the area more desirable as it continues to "improve".
It is already desirable because it is west of the Park, closer to Manhattanville than Central Harlem.
There are a few retail spaces that have stood empty forever, one had a cat they threw out on the streets when they were evicted - awful bodega.

In any case, I have said many times, anyone who opens a better business there will make a fortune. The Maison Harlem guys realized that. The place is packed every night because it is the only venue for anything decent. "Think Coffee" or similar would be smart to consider that, or better, a local person - but nobody has. Currently, yet another "Harlem Deli !!!" is (illegally) under construction, great. More bodega energy.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Since they sold those apts "as is" in a couple of buildings a few years ago on Hamilton Place things changed a lot.
Has it really changed that much ? I know someone who was considering a place there, just an acquaintance so I don't know if they did.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

120 posts, read 203,278 times
Construction will resume shortly on the partially completed shell in the middle of the block on 126th between Morningside and St. Nicholas. It will be high end rentals.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
Construction will resume shortly on the partially completed shell in the middle of the block on 126th between Morningside and St. Nicholas. It will be high end rentals.
The basement was repeatedly flooding, if you mean the one to the east. It is actually completed more or less, one of them told me - not a shell. I think there were c of o issues.
The other next door is finished I believe. The originals lost funding and sold.
I would not live within five blocks of a Singer building myself.
Could be a hard sell if they show in the summer.

They are not nearly "high end" ... junky-looking buildings and the western one went up in a matter of weeks after the sale.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Has it really changed that much ? I know someone who was considering a place there, just an acquaintance so I don't know if they did.
Yes it has. 144th is a loud block especially on weekends, so it is best to start from 143rd on on the south side of the Block.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
i'm not a fan st nicholas terrace either. very, very seedy stretch. in the summer, forget about it. you see all kinds of suspect people sitting on the benches in front of the park, near the basketball court, loitering, smoking, drinking, til the wee hours of the morning.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
How long do you guys reckon it'll remain this way? It's alongside the park, close to two major universities, and in an area that's generally been changing quickly. It seems strange that it's able to stay so sketchy. Do you think opening up the ground floor of some of the city college buildings that currently have a gate and some sad strip of grass would improve things since it'd help keep more eyes on the street?

I know Los Angeles did some trials of having constant small events, farmer's markets, food stands, etc. in or along some of the small parks in what were usually more crime-prone neighborhoods and the parks and the areas around them saw an immense drop off in crime and violence.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How long do you guys reckon it'll remain this way? It's alongside the park, close to two major universities, and in an area that's generally been changing quickly. It seems strange that it's able to stay so sketchy. Do you think opening up the ground floor of some of the city college buildings that currently have a gate and some sad strip of grass would improve things since it'd help keep more eyes on the street?

I know Los Angeles did some trials of having constant small events, farmer's markets, food stands, etc. in or along some of the small parks in what were usually more crime-prone neighborhoods and the parks and the areas around them saw an immense drop off in crime and violence.
St Nick Terrace overlooks St Nick park, topographically it is a bluff as most streets with the word terrace are. Once you are on the terrace you are trapped on it until you come to the next westbound St or take the stairs going east down to St Nick park. Any activity that could be scheduled there would have to end at some point. I can't picture a farmer's market in that isolated area. The park itself is not used right below the terrace except for sledding in the winter in some spots, it is very steep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City