Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

I like the Halal stand at 96th and Third. Enough lamb over rice with salad for two big eaters PLUS a can of soda: $6 even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I like the Halal stand at 96th and Third. Enough lamb over rice with salad for two big eaters PLUS a can of soda: $6 even.
That's the one I patronize, usually in the summer. I've posted about it on this forum before. It's great. I usually get chicken over rice.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
It's a fact of current life...we are in an inflationary period.
lol, I love when people make up things out their rear end. We're actually near a 40-year low on inflation

http://www.multpl.com/inflation/
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com...flation-rates/

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Stay away from whole foods if you are looking to save. Left the place yesterday with two bags of good healthy groceries. Set me back $100. Two bags.
Whole Foods isn't that expensive if you know how to shop there. Only buy things on sale or their 365 brand. When your favorite item you use a lot our on sale stock up. What kills you there is those impulse buys.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Whole Foods isn't that expensive if you know how to shop there. Only buy things on sale or their 365 brand. When your favorite item you use a lot our on sale stock up. What kills you there is those impulse buys.
Yeah right, Whole Foods is a massive ripoff. Of course it can't beat the king of ripoffs, Food Emporium, but it's right up there. If you want good, affordable groceries in Manhattan, it's all about Trader Joe's. Fresh Direct is also a good option

Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
A lot of the produce in the Union Square farmer's market is cheaper and better than Whole Foods.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
A lot of the produce in the Union Square farmer's market is cheaper and better than Whole Foods.
At whole foods you're paying for halogen lighting over rows of produce & products that have been dusted individually and meticulously aligned several times a day by a team of people

Old 10-25-2013, 01:07 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
lol, I love when people make up things out their rear end. We're actually near a 40-year low on inflation

US Inflation Rate
Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2013, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator
Ah, so you posted the last chart stating the make-believe inflation rates that the government has cooked up.
How about some terrific employment numbers showing unemployment at record low numbers. Happy Happy, Hope and Change..."YES WE CAN" type of Bush-Obama bulllschitt.

And given all this horseschitt, then explain why the fed need to keep pumping steam into a dead but inflating economy. "We are doing SO well but we cannot stop treating the economy as if it were dead in the water!" This makes SENSE to you??????

If you want honest inflation numbers, keep track of prices. Parroting government released numbers that are just promulgated to make the current people in power seem reasonably competent is as stupid as stupid gets.
Open your EYES...learn to COUNT. Learn from History...just OBSERVE. Even parrots can do that. Don't be a doofus...think for yourself.

I've got a word for you to look up: STAGFLATION. I must assume you have never heard of it before and obviously never lived through it.

Blake Jones...try not to be a fool and check prices since 1990 and then realize how stupid that chart is. (Hint with 1% inflation it takes 72 years for prices to double.) Check food, gasoline, dental car, the DOLLAR store (now the $1.49 store) Honda Accords Salami, pastrami, rye bread, shoes, suits, electricity, weather stripping, roach spray, restaurant meals, beer...ANYTHING.
Anything the same or close to the same price as it was in 1990 or 2000 or even 2010?

Use your eyes and your head and ignore the government charts...they have an axe and a well paid job to grind.

Topic at hand is FOOD INFLATION:
Anyone who has any idea of the prices of foods over the last 10 years knows that food is inflating at far faster than 10% a year. I have seen it clearly. Those that want to look at government charts to see different results are free to do so. Perhaps there might be a chart showing that food is 10, 20, or 30% cheaper now. Who knows?

But those of us who have budgeted for food, clothing, housing, and transportation know the truth and dimwits who know only what they make believe they believe from partisan charts really know nothing and should be ignored.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-25-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Topic at hand is FOOD INFLATION:
Anyone who has any idea of the prices of foods over the last 10 years knows that food is inflating at far faster than 10% a year. I have seen it clearly.
Again you are pulling numbers from your ***. You couldn't be more wrong.

For those truly interested in facts, here they are:
Debunking the Food Inflation Myth in Two Charts - Wall Street Journal

I guess if you're addicted to peppers your world is collapsing as we speak lol

Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Those charts don't look right to me unless I'm reading them wrong. Are they saying that the price of chicken legs has gone down 35% since 1982? If so, that's completely wrong. Back in the '80's you could get chicken legs for 19 cents a pound when on sale. Most times they were 49 cents a pound. Nowadays I'm spending $1.99 a pound for legs unless they're on sale. Even in the '90's they were under $1 a pound. I'm talking whole legs--not the cut drums and thighs.

All produce has gone up significantly, especially peppers lol...but seriously, I've seen green bell peppers at almost $3 per pound when they used to be dirt cheap.

I don't think the increase in groceries has to do with the economy itself directly. Increases were mostly due to the price of gas.

You know what's really sad? The '80's weren't that long ago...feels like only 20 years but it's actually 30 years. Makes us sound so old!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City