Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM

402 posts, read 811,929 times

Advertisements

Even in those days though, Archie didn't dislike people so to speak for their nationlities, he just was open about his stereotypes, and more of breaking balls type of stuff white guys do amongst each other. Even in those days, WASPS were fewand far between in New York...Archie never was hateful..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM

929 posts, read 1,660,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Even in those days though, Archie didn't dislike people so to speak for their nationlities, he just was open about his stereotypes, and more of breaking balls type of stuff white guys do amongst each other. Even in those days, WASPS were fewand far between in New York...Archie never was hateful..
I loved AITF (at least the seasons before the show jumped the shark and the kids moved to California), but Archie definitely was apprehensive towards blacks, Jews, and Catholics, and felt superior to them. I wouldn't say he was hateful or wanted anything bad to happen to them, but still.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually found Archie Bunker a more typical stereotypical old school New York guy. However IIRC he was a working class WASP.

Knew plenty of those on SI growing up as well. OH they were nice to "blacks" and other minorities to their faces, but once out of ear shot you heard a different story. It was the old "you can invite your black friend from school over only if we don't have company" sort of thing. *LOL*
Didn't realize they were out there. I assume the show creators made Archie a WASP because they didn't care about accuracy.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Oh I don't know about how "hateful" Archie Bunker was, he certainly didn't hold back on comments that would start a beat down today.

There is much controversy over the harm Archie Bunker did with his comments. Some feel the guy should be given a pass because he was a naïf and was just what he was. He didn't mean to insult persons of color or whatever, he just felt his opinion was correct.

OTOH many feel AB did a great amount of harm calling persons, blacks, Spics, Pollacks, Kites, Jews, ****, Lez, etc... Many waited but Caroll O'Connor never apologized for how he portrayed AB. I mean just because a bigot is "loveable" does that make them any less of one?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't realize they were out there. I assume the show creators made Archie a WASP because they didn't care about accuracy.
What? You only though Italian or Sicilian Americans were the only European white "bigots" in NYC. Not by a long shot. They came in the entire white European descent gamut from English, Irish, Germans, and so forth.

It took lots of fighting (sometimes almost literally) for African Americans to break into various working class trades such as longshoreman, construction and so forth; then there was the various New York City jobs including the top tier, fire, police, and sanitation departments.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
What? You only though Italian or Sicilian Americans were the only European white "bigots" in NYC. Not by a long shot. They came in the entire white European descent gamut from English, Irish, Germans, and so forth.
No, I meant I was surprised there were white working-class WASPs in NYC.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
As the song says,
Those were the days...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I loved AITF (at least the seasons before the show jumped the shark and the kids moved to California), but Archie definitely was apprehensive towards blacks, Jews, and Catholics, and felt superior to them. I wouldn't say he was hateful or wanted anything bad to happen to them, but still.
Never said he wanted anything bad to happen to such persons, just that he often had words to say. Remember in the beginning Archie Bunker joined his neighbors in a petition to keep a "colored" family (the Jeffersons) from purchasing a home on the block.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
WASP to most usually means wealthy white Protestants, but can also be expanded to the following:

"The term WASP has many meanings. In sociology it reflects that segment of the U.S. population that founded the nation and traced their heritages to...Northwestern Europe. The term...has become more inclusive. To many people, WASP now includes most 'white' people who are not ... members of any minority group."

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bunker is an old Anglo-Saxon name (as in Bunker Hill located in Boston), so we know Archie is of that descent but certainly is not rich. We know his religion is Protestant so the rest fits in my book.

Thee are working class whites of English, British, Scots-Irish and so forth all over the USA in particular the Eastern seaboard from Maine right on through to Virginia.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 11-14-2013 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: corrected content

Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Never said he wanted anything bad to happen to such persons, just that he often had words to say. Remember in the beginning Archie Bunker joined his neighbors in a petition to keep a "colored" family (the Jeffersons) from purchasing a home on the block.
Right. But then he voted for George after he found out he was a Republican.

I think Archie Bunker's beliefs were a gray area, which made them far more realistic than the black-and-white way people usually try to frame things. He was a segregationist, but not a hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City