Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM

81 posts, read 100,768 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there are some people lived in NYC and cities in CA.I'm just doing a research here. This is not about which place is the best. I just wanna see some difference bewteen NYC and cities in CA.

Since NYC is crowd and people use more publics transportaions, so it is normal for people to being around strangers on their daily lives. Many people say Newyorkers are always busy and in a rush, but that's only one aspect about people in NYC. In general, Do you like the distance between people in NYC? Do you think people are friendly? Do you think people are stressful and don't wanna bothered by others?

I think the distance between people should be closer in NYC and it can be easiler for people to have a social life there.

Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
lol

Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Nyc is very dense and highly populated compared to any city in CA. The only city that comes close to NYC in style, culture, densitty, economics is probably SF. LA is sprawlish and significantly bigger than NYC in size. LA is not so dense.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
The stress of taking the subway in New York is nothing compared with the stress of driving in LA. Social patterns are very different as well. New Yorkers think nothing of meeting a friend for a drink or a bite to eat after work—because it’s so easy and affordable with the subway. We stay out later because we don’t have to worry about drinking and driving. In LA meeting friends for coffee can be a huge and comparatively expensive production when you factor in travel time plus gas, parking, and general aggravation. My friends who have moved to LA say the thing they miss most the ease of social interaction.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
If anyone got any closer to me on a crowded #6 train they would need to revise Einstein's theories of space and time.
When I have a purse in my gut, an elbow in my back, and something suspicious pressing against my ass, that's more than close enough.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The stress of taking the subway in New York is nothing compared with the stress of driving in LA. Social patterns are very different as well. New Yorkers think nothing of meeting a friend for a drink or a bite to eat after work—because it’s so easy and affordable with the subway. We stay out later because we don’t have to worry about drinking and driving. In LA meeting friends for coffee can be a huge and comparatively expensive production when you factor in travel time plus gas, parking, and general aggravation. My friends who have moved to LA say the thing they miss most the ease of social interaction.
Definitely depends on the individual. I've been in NY all 31 years of my life & I can't take the lack of personal space anymore. On platforms, trains and sidewalks. Can't wait to have my bubble not invaded. I actually loved driving around LA on my visits and can't to expeience it as a resident. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 AM

"LA is a great big highway,
Put a dollar down and buy a car.
In a week maybe two they'll make you a star.
Weeks turn into years
and all the stars that never were
are parking cars and pumping gas."

.....Hal David

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
NYC is on its way of being the next Hong Kong

Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
NYC is on its way of being the next Hong Kong

Until the federal stimulus stops. Then it will play catch up with the rest of the country...FAST.

Remember 25 years ago when Japan was king and downtown Tokyo real estate was quoted by the square INCH? And then the bubble burst, and stayed burst for decades.
New York City is on federal life support.

Tying together dependence on a stock market bubble, a real estate bubble, and a student loan bubble is not good economics becasue we have seen what happens when a bubble does what bubbles MUST do...burst.
How long federal support will continue for the city's few industries is anyone's guess but it seems the Fed is too frightened to find out.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-21-2013 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: