Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Was that a typo?

You GOTTA be kidding me. Does it overlook the Metropolitan Museum or tower over Columbus Avenue? If not, stay on as a renter.
I think you get at least 3 years, not certain, infinity if over 62 years old, as long as you wish if rent stabilized.

But really at $2K/square foot, you really should walk away. You probably have 3 years to decide on something suitable?

gi,
Your numbers are mixed up. I presume you mean a sales price of $279K rather than 279M. At a cost of 2K/square foot, you are describing a 140 square foot apartment.
For price to rent at 46, the calculation shows a $6,065 rent or $500/month. And that implies rent stabilization or else you really DO live in 140 square feet.
Straighten me out.
No Typo. $279M is the total cost of all 177 units in the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Are you a rent-stabilized tenant or a market rate tenant?

If RS, then you can stay on in a non-eviction conversion. If market rate tenant, the developer can refuse to renew your lease.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Are you a rent-stabilized tenant or a market rate tenant?

If RS, then you can stay on in a non-eviction conversion. If market rate tenant, the developer can refuse to renew your lease.
Market rate. I figured they can refuse renewal. What Im unsure is the likelihood that they will refuse when my contract is up next June, as only the Red Herring has been submitted.

Im starting to look around anyways at places to at least measure out my options.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 PM

There nothing writ in stone. They can refuse to renew your lease in June. But it is likely they will do it only of they are looking at the likelihood of the red-herring's acceptance, a suitable black book, a likelihood of 15% buy-in..all fast.

I will guess that they will extend your lease another year. These conversions are never quick. Sometimes they wither on the vine.

C'mon, tell us what they will sell your apartment to you for...pretty please?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Market rate. I figured they can refuse renewal. What Im unsure is the likelihood that they will refuse when my contract is up next June, as only the Red Herring has been submitted.

Im starting to look around anyways at places to at least measure out my options.
IIRC all leases have a minimum amount of days before ending for renewal or not notices must be sent. Check your copy of the original lease.

If the building does vote to convert and you do not choose to purchase there is always the chance yours and similar units will be offered for sale to investors. Then you would have a new "landlord" and have to work things out with him or her.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Then you would have a new "landlord" and have to work things out with him or
her
I think that would likely be the case only with a stabilized tenancy, and Mr. GI is market rate, aka disposable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City