Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Unless you don't count the millions of poor residents as New Yorker's, most NY'ers are certainly not well-traveled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 AM

296 posts, read 469,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I would think that most New Yorkers are well travelled. Because you disagree does not make their opinions less valid.

While New York has plenty of problems and may not be the nicest city, but it's the greatest city I've been to and I'd consider myself well-traveled. I wouldn't say I'm lucky to be a New Yorker since It's not the most livable and one has to commit to a more grueling lifestyle, but still it's the city that makes me feel most alive and that anything is possible. Also the variety of neighborhoods and characters within them are incomparable.

I could see how others could disagree.So to each their own and enjoy your London.

Entitlement to opinion =/= veracity

NY is clearly in contention for greatest city in the world, but to claim it is the greatest as some categorical truth, without the slightest hint of doubt, reeks of ignorance. Check the US vs Europe thread in the world forums to see plenty of examples of how embarrassing this blinkered, insular 'Murikan mentality can be.

Last edited by BennyBucks; 03-10-2014 at 04:38 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
This is a question I've been asked so many times or been told so much how lucky I am growing up in NYC. "Do you feel lucky to be in NYC?" "Do you feel blessed?" At first, I used to be annoyed by that question. I ALWAYS loved NYC but I did (and still very much do) appreciate other cities and rural areas. I love mountains, oceans, big open farm land, deserts and simply love nature. I even love small, quaint historic towns. I was one of the New Yorkers who never freaked out when being out my element, I was always able to adapt to different climates.

I also grew up in the ghettos of NYC so I never really felt "lucky". However, about a year and a half ago, I came to the realization that I do feel blessed and lucky to live in NYC. NYC isn't the end-all-be-all of cities and places in the world. There's so much to see and do, many places to visit and that are equally unique and not everyone wants to live or be in NYC, its not for everyone. I'm also not one of those New Yorkers that act like somethings wrong with you if you don't want to live in NYC. One night, sometime during November of 2012 I realized how much I love NYC and how I don't think there's any other city I want to live in right now.

I was walking from the Bronx to Manhattan to Queens to Brooklyn then back into the L.E.S of Manhattan. As I did all that, it amazed me how awesome this city is. This city has almost anything that you want. I never get bored walking around seeing all the diversity of people, all the activity that goes on and I never get bored of going from the hustle and bustle then going home to a super quiet area in Forest Hills.

There's always something going on in this city and if you're bored, then I don't know what you're doing. I can find almost anything I want in this city. Restaurants, bars, lounges, clubs, and so much more activities and entertainment can be found with relative ease in this city. And one of my FAVORITE things about NYC is that its extremely walkable and as much slack that the MTA gets; you can pay 2.50 and take a train ride to any of the boroughs and a FREE boat ride to Staten Island.

I used to take this city for granted and not fully appreciate it. Now, I appreciate it more than ever and whenever I'm away from the city for a long time-and I return-I take in the energy like its my first time being in NYC. NYC is one of the best cities in the world, for sure.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:21 AM

62 posts, read 75,940 times
Had I not been lucky enough to have been born in NYC, I likely would have grown up in war torn Belfast, Northern Ireland where my parents are from. They fled in the 1960s, but we'd often visited in the 1980s when I was a kid since I had many relatives still there. I got to see the IRA first hand as well as experience what life was like living in an occupied land (British Army would set up shop all over Northern Ireland and raid homes if they thought you were associated with the IRA). Lots of people were either killed or ended up in jail, including several family members. Being born in the USA is a blessing. Unfortunately the filthy 3rd world illegal immigrants flooding the country today think they are owed American citizenship.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Living here has some benefits but it comes at a major price.

Overall, I'd say the cons (COL, tax burden, crowds, filth, etc.) are not worth the pros. This is certainly the case for me. I'd imagine many people living here (perhaps even a majority) agree with me, though I certainly don't claim to speak on their behalf.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Living here has some benefits but it comes at a major price.

Overall, I'd say the cons (COL, tax burden, crowds, filth, etc.) are not worth the pros. This is certainly the case for me. I'd imagine many people living here (perhaps even a majority) agree with me, though I certainly don't claim to speak on their behalf.
Is there anything that's holding you back from moving? Family ties?

Old 04-24-2016, 02:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Is there anything that's holding you back from moving? Family ties?
Nothing along the lines of what you mention.

I've only been here 6 months so finding a new opportunity in the near term can be a challenge, especially in light of the fact that it is a small field.

I'm trying to make the best of it while still here by enjoying social and dining options that are far less readily available outside of NYC. I'd be surprised if I'm here beyond the end of 2017.

Don't worry... I'll be gone soon enough!

Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 AM

6 posts, read 3,770 times
As for me, I like NYC but I still would like to live in a more relaxed place.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:52 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Do I feel lucky?

no.

Would I rather live in Palm Springs California

yes

But this is where my family is and my job is......so that takes care of that.....

Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I feel lucky to live here because I love theater, museums, opera, concerts and good libraries. I love the transportation system, I hate to drive, and we know how to "work" the system to our advantage.
Besides, it would take ether or chloroform and a large car trunk to get my partner to move to the boonies.

I would like more space and a garden but life involves choices and we cannot have it all.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-27-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City