Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCWonderBoy View Post
Housing markets all across the country. Where I live, here in the South, we don't have to make developers provide "affordable housing." We don't have "housing lotteries." We really don't even debate housing. Everyone has a house that fits their means. There are projects, but not to the extent that exist in NYC.
So, your username is "NYCWonderBoy" but you live in the South -- and know so much about the NYC housing market that you can solve all our problems with a few simplistic ideas?

Most the country's poorest areas are concentrated in the South, so I don't think housing policy--or any economic policy from that part of the country has credibility.

Bloomberg has rezoned 40% of the city already and much of that is new housing stock--yet prices have not "plummeted" nor would they if the housing projects were razed. Do you know why? Because if the developer predicts that prices are coming down, they will sit on undeveloped land for years until prices recover--or sell it to another developer who will do the same.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Here's a hint: the last time New York City had completely unsubsidized, barely regulated housing, the result was this:

http://www.studenthandouts.com/01-We...-Slum-1890.jpg

Excerpts from How the Other Half Lives, by Jacob Riis

Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 PM

151 posts, read 218,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Most the country's poorest areas are concentrated in the South, so I don't think housing policy--or any economic policy from that part of the country has credibility.
That's just stupid. Income has nothing to do with the basic mechanics of a market.

Quote:
Bloomberg has rezoned 40% of the city already and much of that is new housing stock--yet prices have not "plummeted" nor would they if the housing projects were razed. Do you know why?
He may have, but he didn't rezone enough of it to overcome the distorted market. Demand still far outpaces supply.

Can you explain why NYC is basically for two people: the rich and poor? The middle class has been squeezed out due to liberal economic policies that destroyed Detroit and will eventually, if not for some smart governance, destroy NYC. Again.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Here's a hint: the last time New York City had completely unsubsidized, barely regulated housing, the result was this:

http://www.studenthandouts.com/01-We...-Slum-1890.jpg

Excerpts from How the Other Half Lives, by Jacob Riis
If you aren't happy with the amount of space you can afford in NYC, go to another city. That's how markets work.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCWonderBoy View Post
That's just stupid. Income has nothing to do with the basic mechanics of a market.

He may have, but he didn't rezone enough of it to overcome the distorted market. Demand still far outpaces supply.

Can you explain why NYC is basically for two people: the rich and poor? The middle class has been squeezed out due to liberal economic policies that destroyed Detroit and will eventually, if not for some smart governance, destroy NYC. Again.
You're not going to like it here, you know.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM

338 posts, read 677,259 times
Yeah, I don't get why you even posted this. If you don't live here, why do you care?

Why do so many people in the rest of the country care so much about NYC? I can see planning a visit or reminiscing but we seem to get so many bitter conservatives who don't live here, who post about life in NYC, about how we do things wrong and we'll rue the day and the fiscal sky is falling and I don't know whatall. It just seems weird. Isn't there something more productive you could do with your time than rant about how wrong you think NY is? (I assure you, we don't care how you do it where you live! And I say this as someone who grew up in the South, but NYC is its own dimension, has its own culture and history. It's kind of silly--naïve, actually--to think what works there will work here.)

Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Congrats..you proposed exactly the wrong way to provide and create affordable housing. You are not old enough to know yet, but the free market fails every time...which is why every market, and almost every industry, is regulated in one way or another. When you allow people/businesses to police themselves and do things in the interest of anything other than money/themselves...guess what happens? EPIC FAILURE!

Please stay in the South wonderbread.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Congrats..you proposed exactly the wrong way to provide and create affordable housing. You are not old enough to know yet, but the free market fails every time...which is why every market, and almost every industry, is regulated in one way or another. When you allow people/businesses to police themselves and do things in the interest of anything other than money/themselves...guess what happens? EPIC FAILURE!

Please stay in the South wonderbread.
I'm not arguing for no regulation. I'm arguing for basic, regulated free-market principles.

The regulated free market made America the wealthiest nation in world history.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Yeah, I don't get why you even posted this. If you don't live here, why do you care?

Why do so many people in the rest of the country care so much about NYC? I can see planning a visit or reminiscing but we seem to get so many bitter conservatives who don't live here, who post about life in NYC, about how we do things wrong and we'll rue the day and the fiscal sky is falling and I don't know whatall. It just seems weird. Isn't there something more productive you could do with your time than rant about how wrong you think NY is? (I assure you, we don't care how you do it where you live! And I say this as someone who grew up in the South, but NYC is its own dimension, has its own culture and history. It's kind of silly--naïve, actually--to think what works there will work here.)
I love NYC and want to be mayor.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Congrats..you proposed exactly the wrong way to provide and create affordable housing.
We don't have "affordable housing" problems in the South. Wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City