Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times

Advertisements

A Manhattan High-Rise is On Fire

Well this is scary. Other sites are reporting that one person died. So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Luckily the flames did not exterior jump to upper floors.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:51 AM

77 posts, read 133,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
A Manhattan High-Rise is On Fire

Well this is scary. Other sites are reporting that one person died. So sad.
Saw that on the news, very sad indeed

Apparently best thing to do in the situation is stay in your apartment, even if it might seem counter-intuitive to human "flee" instinct.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK10019 View Post

Apparently best thing to do in the situation is stay in your apartment, even if it might seem counter-intuitive to human "flee" instinct.
That's the recommendation, to stay in your apt. The stairwells are usually filled with black smoke and it's pitch black. But sooner of later your apt is too.

I keep a flashlight on my nightstand and if stay at a hotel it follows.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-06-2014 at 04:20 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Per NYC codes most NYC large and or residential apartment buildings are to an extent fireproof.

Unless the fire is actually in your apartments and or you have been specifically instructed otherwise it is best to remain where you are until fire department arrives. Elevators will return to the lobby and remain under FDNY control until they release. Going down stairwells unless just perhaps one or two flights is very dangerous. First they often fill with smoke, second even five flights of stairs under normal conditions can take the wind out of some persons. Imagine imagine doing so when they are filled with gagging smoke and you are in a panic. Have had to several occasions to go down anywhere from 24 to 38 flights of stairs (office buildings when either a small fire or other issues took the elevators out of service), and am here to tell you even in my twenties it took the breath out of me by the tenth go around down.

Finally NYC apartment, hotels etc... are required to have fire proof doors. If there is a fire in your building but not in your apartment keep the door closed. If the fire is in your apartment and you flee CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND YOU. Otherwise smoke and the risk of fire spread throughout the building. Leaving the door open creates a draft that can make a bad situation worse.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
While this is horrible, what I don't understand is, the apartment where the fire was, the tenant was not home supposedly, the christmas tree had faulty wiring. Did the tenant go out and leave the tree on? maybe to go to the corner?

Then, if the tenant was out, I'm assuming they closed and locked the door, just how did the stairwells get so filled with smoke? I can see if the door was left open, and the stairwell door was open, but if the apartment door and the stairwell door were both closed, how did the smoke get so bad in there that it killed someone.

Also, like they all say, if your apt is not on fire, stay there.....the only thing about that is that if it isn't on fire, and then you stay, then it spreads to your apt, that becomes a problem, what do you do then. I would guess that if it isn't the apartment below you, you should stay in your own apartment.

Also, when ever there is a fire below, the flames always travel to the windows above, thus the heat from the flames and the cold from the weather breaks the glass, thus igniting the apartment above.

Anyway, terrible thing to have happen.
I will never live in a high rise.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
It's probably also a good idea to pack a bag while you are waiting if you can--it can be weeks or more before you are allowed back in after a fire. It also gives any potential thieves plenty of time to break in and leisurely sort through your items as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK10019 View Post

In this particular situation yes. The building was fireproofed so the fire can be contained. The smoke will still travel up through stairway though and that is why in this particular situation it was not good to leave his apartment. Not every situation should be handled like this though.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
also the man that does lived on the 32nd floor, the fire was on 20, he was 12 floors above, surely the fire dept would hav been there to put it out before it reached up 12 flors.

i think obviously he made the wrong decesion to escape down, heading right towards it.

he would be alive today if he stayed in his apartment 12 floors up.

sad that he has now become an angel.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
While this is horrible, what I don't understand is, the apartment where the fire was, the tenant was not home supposedly, the christmas tree had faulty wiring. Did the tenant go out and leave the tree on? maybe to go to the corner?

Then, if the tenant was out, I'm assuming they closed and locked the door, just how did the stairwells get so filled with smoke? I can see if the door was left open, and the stairwell door was open, but if the apartment door and the stairwell door were both closed, how did the smoke get so bad in there that it killed someone.

Also, like they all say, if your apt is not on fire, stay there.....the only thing about that is that if it isn't on fire, and then you stay, then it spreads to your apt, that becomes a problem, what do you do then. I would guess that if it isn't the apartment below you, you should stay in your own apartment.

Also, when ever there is a fire below, the flames always travel to the windows above, thus the heat from the flames and the cold from the weather breaks the glass, thus igniting the apartment above.

Anyway, terrible thing to have happen.
I will never live in a high rise.
The Philly One Meridian Plaza fire in the early 90's destroyed multiple floors. The fire spread thru flames shooting out from the windows. A jumping fire. Finally extinguished when the fire reached a floor equipped by sprinklers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City