Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times

Advertisements

well, paying 700 was good for 6 months but now its time to live "a lil" better.

2 other roommates, i got a master bedroom with a bathroom and walk-in closet as well as views of the entire skyline.

the only thing that sucks about the area is that its kinda far from the train. closest one is on 50th st (E/C lines).

anyone familiar with the area? what are the goods and bads about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
MEE NOODLE HOUSE on 53rd and Ninth is one of the GOODS.
The schedule of the M50 is one of the BADS but the two buses across 57th are pretty good, if near you.

How much for a 3 bedroom?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM

it's a 2 bedroom converted into 3. the third bedroom is in the living room. it has a pressurized wall or whatnot so it looks like a real wall.

the 2 bed is going for 4,881/mo. split that in 3 and boom. since im getting the master bedroom with the good views & bathroom in it, its a little more expensive than the other 2. we also have a washer and dryer in the unit. WIN.

but yeah, my concern is the commune. i work literally across town. on 3rd ave between 46/47th sts. not sure which route will be best.

i actually walked from my work to this building today and it took me about 30 mins.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Good to have the Manhattan experience, but you do realize that a similar 1 or 2 bedroom costs virtually the same in Astoria, and no roommates!

30 minutes isn't a bad walk, i used to walk from Port Authority to Grand Central everyday.

Ninth Avenue has a host of good restaurants. Whole Foods is at Columbus Circle. Close to the theater district and movie houses. Walking distance to Central Park. If you like pies and cakes, there is The Little Pie Company (best damn carrot cake in the city!) on 43rd in Manhattan Plaza. A few off Broadway theaters too. Chez Josephine!!

Straight shot down 9th Ave to Chelsea and the West Village. Similarly, uptown to Lincoln Center and the Upper West Side. Walk, bus or taxi.

Great food festival on 9th Ave every Summer.

Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The OP's move is indicative of the transient nature of the Transplant population in Astoria, and why despite the growing population, Astoria is not gentrifying.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Good to have the Manhattan experience, but you do realize that a similar 1 or 2 bedroom costs virtually the same in Astoria, and no roommates!

30 minutes isn't a bad walk, i used to walk from Port Authority to Grand Central everyday.

Ninth Avenue has a host of good restaurants. Whole Foods is at Columbus Circle. Close to the theater district and movie houses. Walking distance to Central Park. If you like pies and cakes, there is The Little Pie Company (best damn carrot cake in the city!) on 43rd in Manhattan Plaza. A few off Broadway theaters too. Chez Josephine!!

Straight shot down 9th Ave to Chelsea and the West Village. Similarly, uptown to Lincoln Center and the Upper West Side. Walk, bus or taxi.

Great food festival on 9th Ave every Summer.

Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The OP's move is indicative of the transient nature of the Transplant population in Astoria, and why despite the growing population, Astoria is not gentrifying.
How's the E train going towards queens between 8-9am? too crowded? also, is it one of those trains that takes 30 mins to arrive?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Sorry, can't say much about the "E" train. Its never really been a part of my world.

Where are you going in Queens?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
How's the E train going towards queens between 8-9am? too crowded? also, is it one of those trains that takes 30 mins to arrive?
The Jamaica bound E train runs pretty smoothly. I take the E & F every day and its probably a 3-4 minute wait for each. Going to Manhattan, on the other hand, takes twice the time!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 AM

89 posts, read 150,836 times
I've worked either in or near Hell's Kitchen and I've always liked it. Great restaurants on 9th. Uncle Nick's, Nook (BYOB), Lime Jungle, Victor's Cafe, Restaurant Row, Room Service, Donna Bell's Bake Shop, etc., etc.

On the downside, it can be a bit seedy, a bit dirty, a bit off the beaten path. But it's pretty easy to get to wherever you want to go. Enjoy your new digs!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
but yeah, my concern is the commune. i work literally across town. on 3rd ave between 46/47th sts. not sure which route will be best.
Your lifeline will be the M50. It grinds along slowly but since you are probably near the origination point, you will always have a seat GOING to work and you can read the paper.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What do you mean by this and why is it important for Astoria to gentrify? What's wrong with it NOW that it needs so-call "new blood"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City