Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

I always feel that estimated bills come out in the wash. You pay more in February, you will pay less in March. You ultimately pay for what you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I always feel that estimated bills come out in the wash. You pay more in February, you will pay less in March. You ultimately pay for what you use.
Probably but not necessarily. The February rates are very high. If the supply rate is half as much in March, the person with the estimated bill might pay for electricity he used in March at the higher February rates.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philfox333 View Post
My bill went from 150 to 400 this month

so did everybody else's you need to know how the rates are determined and that there are very few viable options as stated here. Only conservation and walking around in the dark will lower your bill.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
My most recent bill was the highest electric bill I have ever had..ever..and it was for the same usage as this time last year. And just like the article stated, it is due squarely to an almost 50% increase in the supply charge on my bill. WTF! I could not believe it when I saw it.....we already pay the highest rates around..but this is completely out of control.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,430 times
But is the supply charge a one month thing or is it now gonna be every month? ?...... if it is that cant be good for the economy

Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
But is the supply charge a one month thing or is it now gonna be every month? ?...... if it is that cant be good for the economy
Con Ed's rates are already among the if not the highest in the USA, so it isn't like the entire nation is paying similar rates. Yes, persons are paying more because of higher natural gas prices but not everyone is shelling out nearly twenty cents per kWh.

This is a direct result of the Obama administration's attack on coal power plants. So many places have either switched over to natural gas and or shut down to avoid dealing with the EPA and their new thing against greenhouse gases, that this is the natural result. No one is going to build any more damns. Nuclear power is a dirty word so what is left?

We were told natural gas is the *cheapest* fuel for producing electricity, but not always and not everywhere. New York State in particular is getting what it asked for since it is suing coal burning power plants in PA and elsewhere claiming their emissions are affecting air quality.

Deregulation was supposed to bring NYC residents relief from Con Ed's sky high rates, but from what one can see that has not happened. Indeed all we see is each year things go higher and higher.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

My most recent bill was the highest electric bill I have ever had..ever..and
it was for the same usage as this time last year.

And you will see the same thing next year in this inflationary economy.

Quote:

Yes, persons are paying more because of higher natural gas prices but not
everyone is shelling out nearly twenty cents per kWh.
Make that nearly FORTY cents, Bugsy. Horrific but that's what a poster reported this month.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I do not believe this is due to an inflationary environment...we haven't had any inflation of substance for years. This is due to random market conditions which can neither be explained or justified outside of industry "experts". And the entire reason why our energy prices fluctuate dramatically is due 100% to GAMBLING. And by that I mean "investors" bet on prices going up or down...and this drives prices one way or the other....if the commodity "trading" was banned, we would have stable prices and not be at the mercy of what gamblers, I mean investors, believe the prices will be 3 , 6, 12 months from now.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:

There were always two charges distribution and supply--- with deregulation meaning that you could get your supply from an ESCO the law is now companies must show it as two distinct charges which they never did before.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I do not believe this is due to an inflationary environment...we haven't had any inflation of substance for years. This is due to random market conditions which can neither be explained or justified outside of industry "experts". And the entire reason why our energy prices fluctuate dramatically is due 100% to GAMBLING. And by that I mean "investors" bet on prices going up or down...and this drives prices one way or the other....if the commodity "trading" was banned, we would have stable prices and not be at the mercy of what gamblers, I mean investors, believe the prices will be 3 , 6, 12 months from now.
we can't wait to hear ole kefir whine when real moderate inflation takes hold.

only problem is competition and technology advances keep pushing us more to deflation in many sectors.

more moderate inflation may be more a figment of individual minds then real.

while yes certain sectors always seem to go up many others have been stagnant for decades or even down. hundreds of billions have been freed up for folks in cash flow since refinancing.

today many folks pay in dollars in mortgage interest what they used to pay on a car loan for example. we are paying less for gas today than 5 years ago.

i do bids every year for thousands of products in the industry i work in for gov't contracts. i can not believe how many prices are down compared to 2 years ago.

manufacturing efficiency just keeps increasing and competition keeps growing..

i don't have any debt and i seem to use goods and services that have gone up ,either from weather, demand,political issues,strikes, etc so i may feel more of a pinch.

but the flip side is my investments and many folks 401k's have grown more from these deflationary rates in other asset classes then anything went up so i am fine with the increases i have seen.

the average american though has their life so loaded with all kinds of debt that they see quite a bit of setting drops.

folks try to rate the entire economy by what they feel in their own personal cost of living instead of the bigger picture..

but this is another topic.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-20-2014 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City