Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,607,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Hip hop culture is dominant in the black urban areas and the youths are totally immersed in it from the time they are born. It is just a short jump from that to gangs.
That's sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,691,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
Staten Island has gone downhill. Too many wannabe Jersey Shore Italian Americans bringing crime and discrimination with them.

lololol

Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,622,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Hip hop culture is dominant in the black urban areas and the youths are totally immersed in it from the time they are born. It is just a short jump from that to gangs.
It's kinda funny. Being half n half, my black side is heavy hip hop, thanksgiving wearing Public Enemy and Nas shirts. Despite that, both of my parents just seemed from a different generation. They grew up (beyond being babies in the late 50s early 60s) mostly in the late 60s and early 70s. My dad especially was quite jank, no money using bottles of whiskey instead of anesthesia because he couldn't afford it, air force right after the Vietnam War (thank god), didn't stick with his first gf because her parents thought he wasn't going anywhere (though 10-20 years later he worked for AT&T and Lucent when they were the big thing as an Embedded Software Engineer).

It's like we skipped a generation in my immediate family. I grew up listening to Phil Collins, Elanis Morriset, Jimmy Hendricks, Pink Floyd, etc. I remember nightmares from the Dark Side of the Moon videos lol! Then I went to grunge > screamo > metal (death, black, etc.) > German/Japanese gabber/speedcore/jungle etc. I did and still do like Eminem but otherwise dislike hip hop and rap. In Tokyo, there's a club called Harlem that explicitly plays hip hop and rap from the US, and interestingly you get a pretty decent class of people. Probably because Japan permeates a culture of not breaking the law, it being an extremely conservative country. I still dislike that club though because I don't like the music.

I remember in the 90s, people were fighting on the case that music and video games influence attitudes. I remember being against it, but honestly, there's probably a lot of truth in that argument.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 AM

313 posts, read 213,724 times
I disagree with some posts on this forum, Bensonhurst is a fairly safe but some areas are gritty and undesirable looking like around New Utrecht Avenue or under 86th Street or all of Bath Avenue. Also I grew up along New Utrecht Avenue in the 90s and 2000s and it wasn't entirely safe, although people knew them in the area, there were quiet a few crack heads around, i remember one of them brought me candy in the corner store as a kid and he rode a bike around the neighborhood. There was alot of drugs around, I remember walking to Shallow by Satellite Park around 2004 and seeing syringes in the park grass along trees. 74th St and 76th St were always the bad blocks my mother told me not to walk by, because the people would start fights. My fathers Buick got stolen by Satellite Park in the 90s and I remember the happy ending spot on 80th Street by Waldbaums, two different people got shot there on two separate occasions. You can even look at the intro to Welcome Back Kotter which shows Bensonhurst of what it looked like in the 70s/80s under the elevated, wasn't too nice looking. I know I lived it but in the 90s.

So my point is, the area has not gone downhill since the Chinese have moved in. The old Italian generation are just complaining because their nostalgia is gone, tough luck bro its New York, Bensonhurst was Jewish before Southern Italians moved in and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmm3KTa601s

Last edited by RagerNYC; 11-01-2018 at 05:35 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 AM

566 posts, read 505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Bensonhurst, Gravesend are going down.
Why? Because all the Italiashkas have moved out and Asians moved in?
Some 50 years ago when Germans died out and Italianis moved in, the hood went down;
now that the guidos have "moved on", same things are being said.

Too bad for all the cake and cafes that shuttered.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:57 AM

4,444 posts, read 5,173,451 times
And when the Chinese move out, I don’t think anyone will care, but the Chinese. I’m not Italian American and I hate that Bensonhurst isn’t Italian anymore.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:19 AM

700 posts, read 424,067 times
Fake news and it sounds like the OP is probably a racist poster who is scared of blacks I'm assuming). The reality is Flatlands is one of the safest communities in Brooklyn. As a matter of fact I'll add in the fact that Flatlands is nowhere near as noisy as Canarsie despite the similarities of both areas. Same applies for Mill Basin.

For the record there are many white communities in NYC where multiple murders occur yearly. Upper West Side being one of them yet if one or two murders occur in a black community then all of a sudden its going down hill.

NYC isn't the suburbs.. If you live in a city, especially a city with 8.5 million people you are bound to see murder/shooting practically in all areas. Obviously more or less depending on the area and the socio-economics.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:04 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's kinda funny. Being half n half, my black side is heavy hip hop, thanksgiving wearing Public Enemy and Nas shirts. Despite that, both of my parents just seemed from a different generation. They grew up (beyond being babies in the late 50s early 60s) mostly in the late 60s and early 70s. My dad especially was quite jank, no money using bottles of whiskey instead of anesthesia because he couldn't afford it, air force right after the Vietnam War (thank god), didn't stick with his first gf because her parents thought he wasn't going anywhere (though 10-20 years later he worked for AT&T and Lucent when they were the big thing as an Embedded Software Engineer).

It's like we skipped a generation in my immediate family. I grew up listening to Phil Collins, Elanis Morriset, Jimmy Hendricks, Pink Floyd, etc. I remember nightmares from the Dark Side of the Moon videos lol! Then I went to grunge > screamo > metal (death, black, etc.) > German/Japanese gabber/speedcore/jungle etc. I did and still do like Eminem but otherwise dislike hip hop and rap. In Tokyo, there's a club called Harlem that explicitly plays hip hop and rap from the US, and interestingly you get a pretty decent class of people. Probably because Japan permeates a culture of not breaking the law, it being an extremely conservative country. I still dislike that club though because I don't like the music.

I remember in the 90s, people were fighting on the case that music and video games influence attitudes. I remember being against it, but honestly, there's probably a lot of truth in that argument.

Regardless of the compelling data all one need to do is turn on the set, listen
to the radio, pickup the newspaper or just monitor the surroundings. The
gaming industry was not about to give up its billion dollar industry for the
sake of society. Hence, you reap what you sow. Instead of greeting all
with open arms as did years ago, I remain discreet and practice caution;
ready to unleash my saber at a moments notice and thrust it into heart of
all those soulless and upright zombies. Welcome to the Apocalypse ....
L.O.L.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
I disagree with some posts on this forum, Bensonhurst is a fairly safe but some areas are gritty and undesirable looking like around New Utrecht Avenue or under 86th Street or all of Bath Avenue. Also I grew up along New Utrecht Avenue in the 90s and 2000s and it wasn't entirely safe, although people knew them in the area, there were quiet a few crack heads around, i remember one of them brought me candy in the corner store as a kid and he rode a bike around the neighborhood. There was alot of drugs around, I remember walking to Shallow by Satellite Park around 2004 and seeing syringes in the park grass along trees. 74th St and 76th St were always the bad blocks my mother told me not to walk by, because the people would start fights. My fathers Buick got stolen by Satellite Park in the 90s and I remember the happy ending spot on 80th Street by Waldbaums, two different people got shot there on two separate occasions. You can even look at the intro to Welcome Back Kotter which shows Bensonhurst of what it looked like in the 70s/80s under the elevated, wasn't too nice looking. I know I lived it but in the 90s.

So my point is, the area has not gone downhill since the Chinese have moved in. The old Italian generation are just complaining because their nostalgia is gone, tough luck bro its New York, Bensonhurst was Jewish before Southern Italians moved in and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmm3KTa601s

Wonderful post. New York is the arena in which the immigration game is played and each new arrival gets
a game piece called the baton. They run their arsess off for years saving money finally passing the
baton to next player as they eventually move on and out to greener pastures.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Why? Because all the Italiashkas have moved out and Asians moved in?
Some 50 years ago when Germans died out and Italianis moved in, the hood went down;
now that the guidos have "moved on", same things are being said.

Too bad for all the cake and cafes that shuttered.
Wow....What part of the Italian neighborhood you talking about there kid ?
I always seen the old ladies sweeping the streets in front of their homes and
when bored would sweep in front of the neighbors house. I don't recall to
many others doing same? If you got in the way they would grab you, take you into
the kitchen , feed you spaghetti and meatballs, comb your hair shine your shoes and
if you were Jewish ,they'd feed you a second portion, sprinkle you with holy water and
send you on your way. L.O.L.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 11-02-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City