Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,050,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornV View Post
Hey, that comes to $107 total jackass!!! haha
I think that's about 1/60th of my net monthly fixed cost excluding food and I don't live in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times
So you're too lazy and stupid to make more than $107 while living rent-free at your parents' house in LA, but you're going to make it in NYC which has probably the most difficult work force to enter in the entire country? Your rich family seems to be going to NYC for the Superbowl... why not just freeload off them and have them finance your trip to New York? You can live there for six months, fill out two applications the whole time and tell your family all about how you're working so hard to find a job, not make any friends and realize you're a loser and your life sucks and move back to LA to work a minimum wage job and disappoint your parents even further even though it's probably their fault for raising such a bump on a log. Good luck

Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Nothing can stop me from Moving to the great NYC
What about quicksand? Or a really big traffic jam

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM

420 posts, read 768,975 times
If this was every possible, its not anymore, not in NYC. The cost of living is pushing out folks who make 60K per yer, not to mention that 7 dollars isn't even enough to save your life from the bitter cold.

Secondly, if you do go, do what they tell hikers to do; tell a loved one exactly where you are and have your phone ready, because you're going to need someone to fly you home in a day or two.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,503,827 times
Quote:
I currently reside in LA, with my parents. My life is going no where and I hate being in the crap-hole. I am going to NYC with family on February 2 and will not be returning to LA. I will have $7 and a bag full of clothes. I will hustle (nothing illegal) and do whatever it takes to make it. I am 20 years old and NOTHING can stop me.
I have been to NY many times and have decided that is where I want to be. So don't try to convince me otherwise. Oh, also I don't want to get on government help of any kind. I can do it without those fascist pigs.

I am a resourceful little _______

I will couch surf and sleep in the sewer if that means another day in NYC.
Basically what I am trying to say is please do not try and convince me otherwise, Just looking for some advice, tips, anything they may help. I am going to need it. It will be a Really really really rough ride and I want to be as prepared as possible (no snarky comments on that, I know I should have saved blah blah blah, medical bills and housing in LA aint cheap and I wont live rent free in my parents home, thats ridiculous and I need to grow up, this is the best way I know how)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Tips on ANYTHING NYC that may help.

This city may chew me up, but it will not spit me out!

Also anyone else ever do anything like this or be so determined to do something that nothing and no one could stop you??

By the way you can call me "V" or Vincenzo
I am happy to have joined this forum, seeing as I am always lurking here anyways.

Also stay tuned, I will post here when I get the chance to to let everyone know how crappy things are going( but I will be in NYC) woot woot
Good luck with that.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,361,134 times
Vincenzo, I think you need to ask yourself what you think you will find in NYC that you can't in LA. Just going there with $107 and high hopes is not enough. What magic do you think you'll find? At best you will land a minimum wage job, share an apartment with several others (and probably nowhere near Manhattan), and just scrape by day after day. You won't be able to afford to avail yourself of any of the great food and culture in NYC because you won't be able to afford it.

Better to stay where you are, get on your feet with your parent's help, get an education and figure out how to move to NYC with a clear plan and a big nest egg.

There are lots of folks weighing in here (not to mention your own parents) who are older and wiser. The advice, snarky or not, that you've been given here is valid and sound. Heed it.

Lots of people want to come here to Portland, where I live, because they've heard so many great things about it. But most struggle a lot when they get here and often go back to where they came from.

Save yourself and your parents a lot of grief and just stay where you are until you really are ready to re-locate. You are so young and still have lots of time to realize your dreams. Just be clear and realistic about them. Your brain won't even be fully formed for another five years. Re-evaluate your plan when you turn 25.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,669 times
Quote:
Actually, yes I have. I was homeless in the middle of winter for 6 months in Detroit. So...I dn't need a reality check. Thanks though. And that "Masters in Dumpster Diving" Already got that degree. Thanks Bro

Now i know this is troll who is not telling the truth. No one would go through this experience twice --- Detroit and then New York and yes you do need a reality check if this crap is true.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,790 times
Wow $107....

You realize that doesn't even buy you a one-month metro card for the subway.....

Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,543,883 times
I think you can buy a house in Detroit for $107.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM

364 posts, read 708,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I think you can buy a house in Detroit for $107.
Forsaken Detroit homes for sale for as little as $1 - NY Daily News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City