Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM

216 posts, read 993,385 times

Advertisements

bainbridge/204th to bedford park was majority irish in the 70s/80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Yodel--the other side of bedford Pk around bainbridge has some nice art deco buildings. How is the area to live in? 201 street seems well taken care of
Rlrl:

Sorry not to answer you earlier. We’ve lived in this area since 2004 and really like it. I know that there are problems with drugs in the 190s, but we don’t see it up here and we haven’t had any problems. For someone in their 20’s looking to go out a lot (and aren’t into the college or salsa scene), it may be pretty dull, but for us with small children, it’s great. There’s lots of open space – Mosholu Parkway is nice in the spring/summer and the Botanical Gardens is beautiful. We also go to the Fordham campus through the Fordham Prep gate in the summer and play ball/fly kites. From there we can walk to Little Italy in nice weather. We can even walk to the zoo down Theodore Kazimiroff Blvd. which the kids never get tired of. Transportation is pretty good with the Metro North and the 4 and D train. I really hope that south of Bedford Park improves. Actually all the blocks or so off of it are fine. If you look at 198th its really a beautiful block architecturally—great houses across the street from Mt. St. Ursula’s. Another issue over there is that there’s like 3 soup kitchens in that around close to Webster. One soup kitchen is fine, but three is really too much in too concentrated an area. The Mt. St. Ursula caretaker told me that the former residences for the nuns was being converted to Fordham housing. In that case, maybe there will be more pressure to clean up 198th.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times
Yes, i have seen 198th and recall a bldg called Ursuline Court. Certain blocks like Bainbridge and Marion above 199th still look really nice and have nice bldgs and houses.I could, and should take lots of pics of all the architecture in that section(except I'd be afraid the locals might get suspicious of me)

Any evidence of a large Irish population over there at one time?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,864,714 times
Quote:
Look up the Norwood sect of the Bronx in Wiki.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, i have seen 198th and recall a bldg called Ursuline Court. Certain blocks like Bainbridge and Marion above 199th still look really nice and have nice bldgs and houses.I could, and should take lots of pics of all the architecture in that section(except I'd be afraid the locals might get suspicious of me)

I don't think there's many Irish left in Bedford Park, except for some elderly. The only non-elderly Irish I knew was this Mt. St. Ursula caretaker who unfortunately was about to lose his position because Fordham was planning to install its own people. This man said he was going back to Ireland--I haven't seen him since the summer.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,376,230 times
Hey didn't see this until now. The areas known to Irish people as Bainbridge (because of the road) or Norwood (to non-Irish people) was heavily Irish back in the day. There are still a small number of Irish people living there, maybe 5-10% of the population of Bainbridge, but that is continuing to decline.

That area used to have a particularly large concentration of Northern Irish (in contrast to Woodlawn which has more of a mix between Irish from the Republic and the North). So when the troubles over in Northern Ireland began to die down and then there were the peace accords back in the day, a lot of the Northern Irish just left Bainbridge and went home. As that was going on a lot of the middle-class families left there began to flee Bainbridge (generally moving to Woodlawn, Yonkers, or up in Pearl River). As a result really the only Irish people left in that area are usually older folks who live in rent stabilized apartments and can't afford to live anywhere else or who don't want to leave their neighborhood.

Every once in a while when I am in Bainbridge I will see a younger white person, however they are generally the exception and not the rule.

Norwood, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM

I don't think 5-10% of the population here is Irish, I think there are almost no Irish left. The white people you see here tend to be Albanian or American-born of different nationalities. Whites are a minority, but there's enough so you don't feel like you stand out if you are white. My husband (who's black) likes Woodlawn and has talked about living there. However, I think if you get enough families like us moving in the Irish would start to flee. So we'll stay where we are and let them keep their neighborhood for now.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM

I knew that Norwood, which is north of Mosholu Pkwy and "Bainbridge", which is along Bainbridge Ave between 204 and 207 in the same area, had a lot if Irish in the 80's

However, I always wondered if Bedford Park proper, which is on the south side of Mosholu Pkwy, also had the same concentration of Irish. Like around 200th, 201, 202, 203, around the Ursuline campus, if that had a large Irish census as well

Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM

842 posts, read 4,310,829 times
Default Lehman College Commute

For someone who will be attending Lehman College, which neighborhood would fit best for a college student on a tight budget looking for a diverse, tight-knit community?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Actually, it appears to me that some of the nicer blocks in Bedford Park may serve you well. Those nicer blocks look better than those on the other side of the Mosholu Pkwy in Norwood

Some of the nicer blocks i have seen in BP are:

Bainbridge Ave between 199th and Mosholu Pkwy
Marion Ave between 199th and Mosh Pkwy
Decatur Ave between BP and Mosholu Pkwy
E 201 street between Briggs and Marion
E 202 and 203rd around Briggs

I don't know anything about the rents but I'd imagine they are relatively low

These blocks definitely are a diverse tight knit atmosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City