Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
What a bunch of baloney. I needed to get from 23rd and 1st, to 96th and Broadway during a busy period. I took the subway. Are you telling me a rich guy would have taken a limo and taken twice as long to get there because he is to elite to take the subway?

I don't think so.
I don't think a famous rich person like Zuckberg or Gates when in NYC would take the subway. I absolutely believe they'd use a limo. There are security reasons that rich famous people or top government people (like the President) will not take the subway. Whenever they are in NYC they get around by various forms of private transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
so many silly posts here.

that reminds me....I was really shocked to see warren buffett walking in midtown alone a few years back. no security...not armed guards. I've seen celebs on nyc subways myself...usually somewhat incognito.

sidenote...curious if people here ever seen Bloomberg ride the subways as noted all over the media.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

that reminds me....I was really shocked to see warren buffett walking in midtown alone a few years back. no security...not armed guards. I've seen celebs on nyc subways myself...usually somewhat incognito.
Very true to some extent. I remember when I came across Woody Allen holding a bag of some green stuff that he was stuffing in his smoke pipe! Hell some rich even bike. Anyone remember the late JFK jr? He used to bike from home to work and sometimes use subways. He used to travel in his personal Cessna prop plane which ended up in the Long Island Sound.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:

sidenote...curious if people here ever seen Bloomberg ride the subways as noted all over the media.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:

So your seeing celebs on the subway means that every CELEB that comes to NYC feels comfortable riding the subway? Are you speaking for all celebrities?

There are a number of rich people who have security concerns who would not and could not ride the subway. Clearly that's not all rich people but to declare every rich person rides the subway just because you've seen a few celebs on the train is absolutely absurd.

There are a number of limousine companies in NYC. Clearly someone is paying for these limos. There are private drivers in NYC. Clearly someone is paying for that as well. Also, clearly a number of people take taxis around down. Oh, and there are enough private cars in NYC to crowd the streets during rush hour.

So clearly there are those in NYC who don't do public transportation. This is not necessarily good or bad. Differently people have very different lifestyles and needs.

As for Warren Buffet, he's the guy who said the rich need to pay more taxes. Quite clearly he doesn't represent all rich people and just because he does something does not mean all rich people do it.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You need to understand that the elites, the wealthy, the rich and the well to do have many options of travel in and around NYC, everyone else do not and does not have that type of luxury. Some rich may use the subway or bus, some may use a ferry to shuttle them across the East River from Williamsburg or LIC into Manhattan, some may have a town car or suburban suv come pick them up and take them to wherever, while some may just hope into a taxi which can take them to work, while some can afford parking, insurance and gas, and travel by car in and around the city. And last some may even utilize air options as well. Do you think someone making 50k a year can afford different modes of Transportation? No.
Also, it's not safe for famous people who may be targets to ride the subway. Does anyone believe the Clintons get around in NYC with public transportation? No, Secret Service would never let them. Ditto for other former Presidents or for that matter the current President and his family.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So your seeing celebs on the subway means that every CELEB that comes to NYC feels comfortable riding the subway? Are you speaking for all celebrities?
did I say all celebs? no. You seem to assume too much

Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
did I say all celebs? no. You seem to assume too much
seems to be the norm around here

Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
seems to be the norm around here

Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
This thread is turning into an interesting analysis of how the wealthy get around the city. Those in the NYC and metro area with enough cash will get around however they want since they have options: train (commuter rail or subway), car, by foot, even air transport.

Maybe even sometimes riding in a helicopter to a ferry, than taking the subway for a bit to a waiting private car. Just for fun and throw everyone off maybe.

To be serious though, did anyone believe Bloomberg actually rode the subway from his 79th St townhouse to City Hall everyday like he claimed? I think the NY Times did a piece about this a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City