Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

Haven't looked at stats in a while but there's probably not as many Colombians in Queens. Many have steadily moved out over the years (Jersey, LI, Atlanta, Florida being the usual relocation spots). Never really thought of PR's being in Queens too much. I'm sure they exist but they don't really have a "community" per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
I saw the headline the other day and I wonder how it will pan out.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Yea I see a lot of people from Peru under the J train around 104th street. I think the only area that is fully or mostly Dominican is corona? As far as Puerto Ricans go I thought many lived in south Jamaica, jamaica, rochdale village and far rock.
There are a lot of Puerto Ricans in Jamaica and Far Rockaway. But Far Rockaway has a lot of more recent Hispanic arrivals too, Mexicans and Central Americans.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Haven't looked at stats in a while but there's probably not as many Colombians in Queens. Many have steadily moved out over the years (Jersey, LI, Atlanta, Florida being the usual relocation spots). Never really thought of PR's being in Queens too much. I'm sure they exist but they don't really have a "community" per se.
Colombia has stabilized somewhat. It's much better than it was 70s-90s, so I think the rates of immigration to the US from Colombia have slowed down.

And Queens does have a lot more Mexicans these days than it did in the 80s.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That place has been always under developed since the Dutch arrived. It was so bushy not even the Spanish or Portuguese wanted to colonize the area but they all knew the area was rich of gold and diamonds which is deep within the amazon of the Guianas. British, Dutch and French traded hands over an area that was nothing more than rain forest and bush. It was so bad that plenty of people died due to its environment. hell even slavery was not in huge numbers in Guyana. British did a poor job of developing Guyana, the only benefit of Guyana at the time of the British Empire was higher wages which enticed people to move there like Barbadians and some Indians.

What happened with Guyana was that its politicians embraced Marxism and the ideals of the Cuban Revolution. Britain and America bickered over Guyana's independence fearing it will become another Cuba which it did to some extent. Blacks and Indians chased out the British and ethnic Portuguese out of the country. When they were done with the whites, they turned on each other and the Indians lost and the blacks oppressed the Indians. The Natives lived deep in the rain forest and were not bothered. Like Cuba, Guyana improved literacy rates of the country, and was also self sufficient did not depend on outside trade except for weaponry. However the damage has been done thanks to politicians for not allowing a free market system and people started to leave during the 70s, and 80s.

With the return of Democracy and Capitalism in the 90s the plight for many Guyanese did not improve but got only worse. People complain about income inequality in NYC and other parts of America, inequality is worse in Guyana many people have to survive on 2 U.S dollars a day. HIV/Aids epidemic ravaged Guyana and still does to this day. Even if you get sick in Guyana, either you go to neighboring Brazil for treatment, fly to Communist Cuba via friendship program, fly to nearby Trinidad or fly to America or Canada. Like NYC if you have money in Guyana you are good, if you don't you are screwed and saving a years salary for a visa to come to America only makes it more worse.

Actually I don't think the Guyana should exist anymore and should be abandoned. Since its people are not culturally Latin or South American except for the native populace. The Blacks and Indians should move to Anglophone Caribbean countries and or Cuba. Guyana western half should be returned to Venezuela while the Eastern half can be divided up by Brazil and Suriname. Eastern half will give Brazil direct access to the North Atlantic shipping markets. But then again that is a different topic for a different thread. But yes Georgetown is below sealevel. In matter of fact what does Georgetown, NYC and Amsterdam all have in common? Sea level issues. Thank the Dutch for that. And yes Guyana is mainly uninhabited. 90% of the country lives along the coast. The only people in the rain forest are either drug traffickers, gold miners, criminals, Natives, Brazilians, Vacaeiros aka ranchers and eco tourist. Sounds a lot like the American Wild West! But again this topic is for a different thread.

As for Puerto Rico decline, I don't blame Puerto Rico for that, but I do blame mainland politics, 2008 recession and the rise of income inequality for Puerto Rico decline. Puerto Rico needs some internal reforming, but also a path to state hood might help improve the situation on the island, or may make it worse, who knows?

In that sense, Puerto Rico and Guyana are similar in that they both likely need big changes in governance before they can move forward. Perhaps Puerto Rico should petition for independence? Its not like being a part of the US has brought them prosperity.

I think Guyana would already be carved up by Venezuela and Brazil if it wasn't for the United States. Up until the 60s Britain was a factor as well, but I doubt the current Britain cares what happens to Guyana though it is a former British colony. If there's a total collapse in the Guyanese economy and government Venezuela and Brazil may make their move (really for the natural resources like gold). Certain Anglo Caribbean Islands like the San Andreas were full of English speaking Blacks, but Colombia took them over and used the claim inherited from the Spanish colonial days. Those Anglo Blacks now speak Spanish and English.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You've got a decent Dominican population in Queens and an okay Puerto Rican population. But yes, overall there's a lot more Colombians and other South Americans, and Mexicans and other Central Americans. But yes, Puerto Ricans are definitely not the largest Hispanic subgroup in Queens.

Bushwick in Brooklyn used to be Puerto Rican, but these days I'd say a lot of Mexicans and Dominicans are coming in as well.
Yes I'd say Bushwick is most likely a mix of groups with no dominant Hispanic group now. I have even seen some Anglophone Caribbeans moving in as well and it does have a sizable black population.

Quote:
In that sense, Puerto Rico and Guyana are similar in that they both likely need big changes in governance before they can move forward. Perhaps Puerto Rico should petition for independence? Its not like being a part of the US has brought them prosperity.

I think Guyana would already be carved up by Venezuela and Brazil if it wasn't for the United States. Up until the 60s Britain was a factor as well, but I doubt the current Britain cares what happens to Guyana though it is a former British colony. If there's a total collapse in the Guyanese economy and government Venezuela and Brazil may make their move (really for the natural resources like gold). Certain Anglo Caribbean Islands like the San Andreas were full of English speaking Blacks, but Colombia took them over and used the claim inherited from the Spanish colonial days. Those Anglo Blacks now speak Spanish and English.
Conditions in Puerto Rico have gotten worse over the years and I do feel independence should is a favorable option as a way to move the island forward economically. Over dependence on the United States, especially with the economic downturns have resulted in Puerto Rico's economy faring worse over the years.

The English speaking blacks from San Andres and Providencia (called Raizals) actually were quite unhappy about that takeover by Colombia.

My friend from Providencia goes there quite often and its brought many mainland Colombians to the islands over the years and they weren't too happy about it.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Never really thought of PR's being in Queens too much. I'm sure they exist but they don't really have a "community" per se.
Along the Brooklyn border is where you'll probably see the most PRs in Queens. Parts of Ridgewood, Glendale and Woodhaven will have a bit of a community.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Along the Brooklyn border is where you'll probably see the most PRs in Queens. Parts of Ridgewood, Glendale and Woodhaven will have a bit of a community.
I think most moved there from Bushwick.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:

I don't think the problem would he a huge issue for the USA if Guyana was carved up. Im not sure how much of a market can the USA benefit from Guyana besides gold, black market cocaine trade and emigration. Anything with Guyana would be a regional issue amongst Latina American, and or South American Caribbean states. Hugo Chavez assured Guyana that he would not reclaim the western portion of its nation, and he didn't. Without he knows that Guyana can not develop its self. But under the new administration of Venezuela it still might be a possibility for Venezuela to claim the Western half of Guyana however it can violate and slow the progress of the South American Union which both Guyana and Venezuela are full members of. If Venezuela does invade the western portion, it would raise Brazil eyebrows and start a conflict since that part of Guyana is a huge market for Brazil and much of western Guyana has more cultural Brazilian influence than it does Guyanese which Guyanese culture and its people is straddled along its coastline and not so much in the frontier. If Venezuela did invade and a conflict between Venezuela and Brazil would ensue, much of the diplomacy would be between OAS, UNASUR, to a certain degree CARICOM. Cuba has a friendship agreement with Guyana and would strain relationship with Venezuela, also big loser would be Trinidad & Tobago which depends on selling its goods to Guyana, as well as Barbados which depends on immigrants from Guyana. The reason why Venezuela wont carve up Guyana is not because of America, but because of Brazil! Brazil is one of the top ten most powerful nations on Earth. historically Brazil always flexed its muscle on the South American continent just like how USA flexed theirs in North America and the Caribbean region. However Guyana and PR are two different entities, I don't see much in common.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
The people you guys are calling Mexicans aren't necessarily all Mexicans. Some are from countries like Guatemala and Equador.

It is amazing that as recent as ten years ago, NY still had a sizable PR community...the largest in the country as a matter of fact. Now, it's freaking Orlando!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City