Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM

99 posts, read 224,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
If you want to walk to work look at hells kitchen or even kips bay ( little longer walk). Also what is you age range, and things you enjoy doing? That can help us point you in a neighborhood that is suited for you. UWS is nice if you are active and run/walk/bike cause you have central park and riverside park. However its getting to be more and more of a family neighborhood and the strollers are taking over so if your quite young you may not enjoy that.
Thank you. I'm male, early 30s, and am married but I'll be living on my own -- my wife is going to stay in Texas for awhile and we'll fly to see each other 1-2x a month. Of course I'd like everything, including parks, access to bars, restaurants, etc. etc., but overall I'm pretty laid back and I'd do more city exploring and walking around than actual bar hopping and drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Given that the job is in Times square there is no need to limit yourself to the 123 line as many others go there . You can even live in Brooklyn and get to the office in a reasonable length of time. What do you think is an acceptable length of time for a commute and I would not get too attached to any area as usually hicks from the woods don't last as long as their first lease anyway.
Haha, good point. Acceptable is 20-30 minutes, but preferable is 10 or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
If you don't mind a small place, I would seriously consider far midtown west or hells kitchen. You can walk to work. I use to do that on the east side & it was a dream. Laid back bars & restaurants are plenty in the west side

If you need space, I would live in the outer boroughs.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
The subway can be a short trip, but also one of the most miserable experiences on earth. I live downtown, and take the local six train two stops and then the express two stops to Wall Street. In all, about ten minutes.....yet it is the worst part of my day and puts me in an absolute miserable mood. It can be crowded, filthy, and people act unhuman. It can be great bc you can cover a lot of ground in little time, but also terrible.
I've Been on a train so crowded where you couldn't fit a pinch of sand btwn people and some homeless guy literally ***** his pants in the middle of the car. Everyone is different, but if you can avoid long subway trips, I would recommend it. Living in the middle of Times Square is often not ideal, but the 50's and 60's are nice. I don't know how familiar you are with the citi bike program, but you could ride to work (five minutes from those areas I mentioned) and when the weather is bad, take the subway.

Good luck on your move. I've been here 8 years so could sound frustrated, but there's so many amazing things here as well!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBForThree View Post
job in Times Square ... want to get an apartment as close as possible ... currently lives on 7 wooded acres
If you like wooded areas, the UWS puts you close to Central Park's 690 acres of land.
Central Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._York_City.svg
Very safe, few serious crimes, considering the millions of annual visitors:
NYPD - Precincts click on crime stats pdf

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
Quote:
I'll be accepting a job in Times Square, very close to the large subway station on 42nd street. I've been telling myself that I want to get an apartment as close as possible to the workplace so I don't have to deal with a long commute, but given that there's a station right there, now I'm wondering if I should broaden my thinking.

I'm trying to keep my rent to approx. $2500 per month, and that means I'll probably have a 0.5-0.75 mile walk if I get an apartment around the office. So my question is -- as an alternative, would it be a quick trip to the office if I lived near one of the many subway stops on the 1,2,3 line in the Upper West Side? As a hick who currently lives on 7 wooded acres, I have zero concept of how long a subway ride actually takes. I'd probably be using it during peak times.
Hey Coach,

Look at the subway map. You can also download to iPhone/Smart Phone.

The white dots are express stops and the black dots are local stops, meaning you want to be on the Express lines as long as possible. You will pick it up quickly and will jump off the local, cross the platform to the express and off you go with fewer stops. Depending on where you are going, it is sometimes faster to walk Uptown to go Downtown, to get to an Express and not have to deal with the transfer. I am not a big, 1,2,3 guy but suppose you live in the West 90th Street area. Once you get to B'way, you are 4 blocks from the 86th St Station and 6 blocks from the 96th St Station. Most likely I would walk the 6 blocks (Street to Street walks are a shorter distance than Avenue to Avenue walks). Your extra 2 block walk would save you riding the 1 from 86th to 72nd and changing trains and waiting for the 2 or 3 express, or worse, taking the 1 all the way to Times Square - 6 stops

Getting on the 2 or 3 at 96th, you would only stop at 72nd before getting to Times Square.

If you haven't done so yet, check out: mta.info | MTA Subway Map There are several options for free Apps depending on your phone. I prefer NYC Mate for my iPhone.

As an aside that really p***** me off, I travel to Mexico City 2-3 times a year and there is a good App for their system. They don't have a Metro Card. You buy and carry little tickets that are sucked into the turnstiles, that are $5 pesos each, about $.40, yes, Forty Cents, including transfers. The system is modern and comparable to NYC and it goes everywhere. The land mass of Mexico City, whose population is comparable to NYC, is 573 sq miles, compared to NYC's 366 sq miles for the boroughs excluding Staten Island, so this is a huge system. I rarely have a wait, during the day, of more than 3-4 minutes. And the price is certainly worth it.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
It's a marvelous luxury to be able to walk to work. Assuming you're not elderly, you could probably walk at least a mile.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I agree that I would look within walking distance first, though I am biased because I tend to avoid the subway. Another consideration would be some of the buildings on the far western fringes of Midtown, closer to the river, as many have shuttle service to Times Square or areas close, mainly for the subway, but it could also work out to take the shuttle van and then walk a short distance to work. And, don't forget the bus, which can be very convenient on the avenues, as well, for short distances, especially in very cold, very hot, or inclement weather when you'd rather not walk.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 AM

255 posts, read 475,904 times
It's amazing how bad people make the subway seem.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Thank you. I'm male, early 30s, and am married but I'll be living on my own -- my wife is going to stay in Texas for awhile and we'll fly to see each other 1-2x a month. Of course I'd like everything, including parks, access to bars, restaurants, etc. etc., but overall I'm pretty laid back and I'd do more city exploring and walking around than actual bar hopping and drinking.

Haha, good point. Acceptable is 20-30 minutes, but preferable is 10 or less.

You ain't in Texas anymore. You need to understand that a "reasonable" commute going into midtown is about 60 minutes which widens your circle to more affordable places. But if you are lucky 20-30 minutes may be doable.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
It's amazing how bad people make the subway seem.
its not bad but I avoid it if I can. I walk 20-25 blocks from penn station to/from work on a daily basis...even today in the snow...I find it more palatable to walk then to train it. Also saving $112 a month can't hurt the wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City