Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM

31 posts, read 143,262 times

Advertisements

I don't know why they stared. I presume because they knew I wasn't from the area. I look totally normal - average height, olive skinned female. I just felt out of place which is something I didn't get anywhere else bar LIC (which I just thought was a creepy, weird place).

Thanks for the offer but I eventually decided on Sunnyside to live. I'm back in Ireland now for a while but plan to go back to NYC soon. I might reconsider the Bronx but safety is a big issue for me. Is Mott Haven really safe at night (or even in the day?)

Quote:
The area's claim to fame is J-Lo..so expect the J-Lo types (minus the money, fame, fitness, attire, business savvy, but with all the attitude and ghetto accent.)
LOL. That was how I first heard of the area. I was watching a show about her where they claimed she wasn't from the ghetto, but from Castle Hill... well as far I'm concerned Castle Hill IS the ghetto! I'm mystified as to how people seem to consider it a nice, middle class neighborhood. Yes, there are quite a few one family detached houses but even they are run down. I also heard there was some ethnic diversity there.....well to me it looked 99.9% Puerto Rican. I spoke English in a store and the lady looked at me like I had two heads. Was she surprised I wasn't from there? Did she think I'd speak Spanish? Who knows... it just isn't a welcoming place to 'outsiders'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
I have not had any problems in Mott Haven ever, besides the second look by people. It is the absolute RARE case that someone actually says something to me (derogatory or otherwise) because I am different...they are more friendly than anything else. I am not a single female from Europe..so I cannot say how you would feel here...but I am sure safety matters which I why I recommend seeing a place before making any assumptions. I find that reputations are often overrated (on the positives and the negatives).

Castle Hill is considered middle-class for those that made it out of the ghetto proper and into a single family house. So for the locals, it is a working/middle class area, as they have a home, driveway, backyard, amenities, etc....all the trophies of a middle class life. However, those outside of the area realize that the area is still woefully inadequete and undesireable...no matter how many driveways and backyards you have. I have no interest in Castle Hill and most points North....I prefer to live in an urban environment and a stones throw from the city.

The only ehtnic diversity you will find are 70% PR, 20% Blacks, and 10% other (South Americans)...doesn't constitute diversity to me. If you want true diversity..the kind where you are in China on one block..and Jamaica the next...Queens is the way to go..by far....every country in the world is there.

Not too familiar with Sunnyside though. Next time you are in the Bronx...drop me a note! Mott Haven all the way!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Are you from Ireland? You mention you have olive skin, so I'm guessing not.

Woodlawn is the big Irish neighborhood in the Bronx.
Morris Park/Country Club/Throggs Neck are the Italian neigbhorhoods

These are probably more of what you are looking for. Regular middle-class, non-ghetto neighborhoods. People speak English and there's very little crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm070685 View Post
I don't know why they stared. I presume because they knew I wasn't from the area. I look totally normal - average height, olive skinned female. I just felt out of place which is something I didn't get anywhere else bar LIC (which I just thought was a creepy, weird place).

Thanks for the offer but I eventually decided on Sunnyside to live. I'm back in Ireland now for a while but plan to go back to NYC soon. I might reconsider the Bronx but safety is a big issue for me. Is Mott Haven really safe at night (or even in the day?)

LOL. That was how I first heard of the area. I was watching a show about her where they claimed she wasn't from the ghetto, but from Castle Hill... well as far I'm concerned Castle Hill IS the ghetto! I'm mystified as to how people seem to consider it a nice, middle class neighborhood. Yes, there are quite a few one family detached houses but even they are run down. I also heard there was some ethnic diversity there.....well to me it looked 99.9% Puerto Rican. I spoke English in a store and the lady looked at me like I had two heads. Was she surprised I wasn't from there? Did she think I'd speak Spanish? Who knows... it just isn't a welcoming place to 'outsiders'.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 AM

31 posts, read 143,262 times
Quote:
Are you from Ireland? You mention you have olive skin, so I'm guessing not.
Yes, but am part Italian also. I stayed away from Woodlawn because I'd heard it was VERY Irish, ex-IRA members etc and that wasn't what I wanted at all. Is Morris Park nice? I heard it was only so-so as well but never visited myself. Is Throggs neck pricy?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
Morris Park and Throggs neck, regarding rent, are about average for the Bronx, 2 bedrooms are 1200-1400. The real problem with the area, besides the fact that they are all very suburban, is that they are also far from the city. So if you enjoy spending time in the city, or have to commute to the city..these are very POOR choices...especially for Throggs neck..you would have to take a bus to a train (a long train ride at that). Of course there is always those express buses everyone claims are so great...they are comfortable..no doubt..but it is about 4x as much as a train ride and you have the luxury of sitting in all the same traffic as everyone driving = a long a** commute!

The areas themselves though are relatively clean, suburban, and have some good amenities. A car is, IMO, a must have around there...which explains why everyone has a driveway.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
The Woodlawn/Yonkers area is very Irish, however there is still a mix of people (Irish, Irish-Americans, Italians, Albanians).

I think the best thing that Woodlawn has going for it, is that we have a Metro North station in the neighborhood. You can take the train directly into Grand Central station in 30 minutes. If you go into the city on the weekends you can get a special "city ticket' for only $3 each way. Its a pretty good deal in my book.

Morris Park is nice, however many people have commented that they think it is declining. Country Club and Throggs Neck are a little bit nicer than Morris Park, however both are a little bit more remote and have less going on than Morris Park. These areas are all overwhelmingly Italian, however there is still a mix.

You asked about price. Basically all of the neighborhoods I've mentioned are some of the cheapest neighborhoods in NYC that are pretty safe. You can find cheaper areas, however they tend to be a bit ghetto. The Bronx is really one of the last affordable places to live in the city.

The Bronx is a VERY segregated area, especially considering how small the White population is. A neighbohrood is either 50%+ White or it will be around 1-3% White. There aren't really any neighborhoods that are in between that.

Take a look at Morris Park and Woodlawn though, I think they are more of what you are looking for (cheap, safe, and middle class).

Quote:
Yes, but am part Italian also. I stayed away from Woodlawn because I'd heard it was VERY Irish, ex-IRA members etc and that wasn't what I wanted at all. Is Morris Park nice? I heard it was only so-so as well but never visited myself. Is Throggs neck pricy?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
I might reconsider the Bronx but safety is a big issue for me. Is Mott Haven really safe at night (or even in the day?)
If safety is a big issue for you then the LAST place I would look at is Mott Haven. It's located in the heart of the south Bronx and the area has alot of housing projects. In terms of crime, the 40th (Mott Haven) precinct came out 3rd in the whole Bronx. If you tought Castle Hill was ghetto, wait till you look at Mott Haven. Also Mott Haven is like 100% Puerto Rican so not to your liking either I presume.

Also in terms of safety avoid the following neighborhoods in the Bronx:

Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, Hunts Point, Longwood, Soundview, Highbridge, Morris Heights, University Heights, Tremont, East Tremont and Fordham.

The above compromise the south Bronx and is considered the "ghetto".

Areas you should be wary of are

Castle Hill, Fordham-Bedford.

Keep in mind that the above areas are relatively cheap. If you want to be in close proximity to Manhattan then some of the neighborhoods above offer that. But the above are high crime areas. Look elsewhere in the Bronx.

Good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM

216 posts, read 992,775 times
lol you forgot the north east....baychester/wakefield/gun hill/etc

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
lol you forgot the north east....baychester/wakefield/gun hill/etc
Yeah definately

White plains road is bombed out....can't believe I forgot to mention the north.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Also in terms of safety avoid the following neighborhoods in the Bronx:

Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, Hunts Point, Longwood, Soundview, Highbridge, Morris Heights, University Heights, Tremont, East Tremont and Fordham.The above compromise the south Bronx and is considered the "ghetto".
Have you lived in ALL areas of the above neighborhoods? there is a problem with making a sweeping generalization. I lived in highbridge for 4 yrs. never had ONE problem. right by the 44. my building even bordered walton ave.... the infamous drug strip.

Yes there were people loitering a lot etc but there are also regular families with kids doing their everyday thing. You mind your Business and 95 percent of the time you should be fine.

I also have a friend who has lived by story and boynton for many years and nothing....... so it depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City