Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quite honestly many NYC buildings have doormen that are that in name only. That is most are hired more for lobby security than to open doors, take packages, walk dogs, etc... Know a few doormen that are *VERY aware of the job description they were hired under and will not do anything more unless they are in the mood. Asked one guy why and he said then "people would get used to it" and he wasn't having it.

Case in point the above mentioned doorman's job did *NOT* include him opening doors as persons entered and left the building. Basically aside from some maintenance chores (sweeping/hosing down side walks, vacuuming lobby etc..) his job was to sit behind the desk and screen/announce guests/deliveries, take packages and things such as laundry. So if you rolled up at 2AM don't look for him to come running out to meet your taxi at the curb and hold the door open for you. It just wasn't going to happen and hasn't in the ten or so years he has been with the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Cannot speak for elsewhere in NYC, but in Manhattan there is a small but growing trend away from doormen and or at least having them on duty 24/7. Many persons including those of the "one percent" just do not like them because it is felt doormen, porters, concierges by virtue of their duties know everyone's "business" in a building and often run their mouths about same.

Many of those new buildings in Tribeca, Soho, Financial District, etc. do not have doormen and that is the way the rich and or famous who live in them want things. Some places have installed "virtual" doorman services to deal with package delivery. Others employ one shift (8 to 4 or something like that) during the day to accept packages and deliveries. However at night the lobby is unattended, which is how those residents want things. If a "Justin Timberlake' wants to "order in" *something* at 1AM he likely does not want someone downstairs asking all sorts of questions and saying it is his/her job to "announce" the visitor.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Virtual Doormen Safer Than the Real Deal | AOL Real Estate

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
When I was a doorman/concierge in Williamsburg. There were former tenants (like 2 or 3) who moved out maybe like 9 months before I started who continued using the address for package deliveries. They would later call and claim it was a mistake and they will drop by later or the next day to pick it up.

We are talking computers, laptops, iphones, and other storage clogging material (desks). lmao

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
When I was a doorman/concierge in Williamsburg. There were former tenants (like 2 or 3) who moved out maybe like 9 months before I started who continued using the address for package deliveries. They would later call and claim it was a mistake and they will drop by later or the next day to pick it up.

We are talking computers, laptops, iphones, and other storage clogging material (desks). lmao
After the first delivery would have made it known somehow unless I got my taste would have informed those persons that am required by management to refuse deliveries from FedEx, UPS and so forth that are incorrectly addressed. Actually no, wouldn't have said a thing and just told whomever was making the delivery "they don't live here anymore".

Just hate how some persons take advantage of others yet never dip into their purse/wallet.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
After the first delivery would have made it known somehow unless I got my taste would have informed those persons that am required by management to refuse deliveries from FedEx, UPS and so forth that are incorrectly addressed. Actually no, wouldn't have said a thing and just told whomever was making the delivery "they don't live here anymore".

Just hate how some persons take advantage of others yet never dip into their purse/wallet.
Funny thing is that the former tenants would use their old apartment number and address. I recall usually receiving 20-40 packages per delivery vehicle (ups, usps, fedex, dhl, and was difficult to go through with the limited time the delivery person is willing to wait for a signature. Subletting in the building was allowed or management would just turn the other cheek (as long they got the money). Which would make the concierge work more difficult when one see's random people showing up with the keys, expecting packages and even a parking spot! I recall sending back someone's Iphone with the UPS and she later called and was pissed about it.

A lot of these newer buildings which are being built in 'changing' neighborhoods are sloppy jalopy.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I'm glad it's getting media attention now. That's all these new buildings you see going up in 'gentrified' areas like Williamsburg, Long Island City, Bedford Stuyvesant, Harlem and the rest. When I was working the position, the paying tenants were nicer and more concerned than the management and ownership. They were surprised that we weren't making the common salary or getting any form of benefits or holiday pay. Some employees even had to show up during hurricane Sandy. Come on now...

If one was sick and had to take a day off the super did not want to pay the person who is covering overtime. He wanted the person who called out to pay out of their own pockets. This is the dirtiness of all these newer developments going up. Their were union guys going building to building when I was there asking to speak with the employees. The management would threaten to fire you if one did. Isn't all that illegal ?
It is good that this article is getting the needed attention and it shows how unequal this city has become. Even though plenty of higher income people are moving to the city, more and more people are also slipping through the cracks of income inequality. You have these new gleaming luxury condos, refurbished buildings that now converted into condos and coops where owners can pay 2k maintenance fees but their staff makes crap dollars. I guess coop/condo board, property owner and management company is reaping the rewards by paying workers low wages.

Quote:
There *IS* a very strong union that represents building workers including doormen. Those that feel they aren't getting their proper due need to start making better choices.

As for differences between union and not doormen see: StreetEasy: Talk - Union vs. Non-Union Doormen

$alaries in the City

For the record it seems this topic has been covered in one form or another in Citi Data before:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...orman-job.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nion-need.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...obs-worth.html

and so forth
It seems that you don't like doormen too much. Did you have a bad experience or encounter with them before? A doorman should not or even ever been a longterm job or even a career. Hell its not even a career. Its just a profession. THere isn't much moving up as being a doorman except for being head doorman, super or working in the management office. A doorman has its pros and cons.

Perks like meeting famous people, depending on the famous person, one may want to help you out, I heard of stories where tenants helped their doormen out for further employment elsewhere, but again that is very rare. If one is in a union, a worker can get good health coverage and benefits. Depending on the building such as tenants culture and building up keep, a doorman job can be very cushy. Depending on building and management some doormen can get access to apartments. I heard of one story where a doorman's apartment got caught on fire, management allowed him to live in one of the vacant apartments for a year rent free. Get your packages delivered to you at work. And last Xmas bonus from tenants.

Cons of being a doorman varies from building to building. Again one can be building culture, working on Park avenue as a doorman can be very tense due to rich and wealthy people vs being a doorman full of young yuppie transplants in the Les who like to have fun. Either way, one mistake can be your last regardless of union or not. Even as a doorman some may have to go out of their way like broken pipes, jammed elevators and so forth, hell even if there is a fire. Being a doorman can be dangerous and sometimes out right deadly. I remember a couple of years ago a doorman got stabbed during Xmas time, plenty of intruders look to steal packages during that time. Recenelty in one of the buildings my company manages, it was posted on here about a gay man being knocked out and left for dead just near steps from his building. This happened near the building where this guy lives and its a doorman building. What if the tenant run into his building for safety and the person he was fighting with chasing him and gets into the building? Doorman safety and well being is important and if his safety becomes compromised than its an issue. One time their was an incident when one of the tenants punch a doorman in the face and he was knocked out. Doorman job can be just as dangerous as other jobs. And last doormen have to be careful with tenants, tenants spread rumors, lies, may like or love you, but a doorman must be careful because tenants are customers, being a doorman is a customer service job, and tenants have a right to complain to management.

Quote:
Cannot speak for elsewhere in NYC, but in Manhattan there is a small but growing trend away from doormen and or at least having them on duty 24/7. Many persons including those of the "one percent" just do not like them because it is felt doormen, porters, concierges by virtue of their duties know everyone's "business" in a building and often run their mouths about same.

Many of those new buildings in Tribeca, Soho, Financial District, etc. do not have doormen and that is the way the rich and or famous who live in them want things. Some places have installed "virtual" doorman services to deal with package delivery. Others employ one shift (8 to 4 or something like that) during the day to accept packages and deliveries. However at night the lobby is unattended, which is how those residents want things. If a "Justin Timberlake' wants to "order in" *something* at 1AM he likely does not want someone downstairs asking all sorts of questions and saying it is his/her job to "announce" the visitor.

Its not the privacy or security issues that matters. It all boils down to cost, convenience as well as welfare of having a doorman vs a virtual doorman. Believe me if I was a property owner and I wanted to save a million dollars over the course of 5 years for my own pocket, instead of paying 4 men to watch my property, I would just use a virtual doorman instead. The trend is not based off of privacy for the ultra rich one percent, the trend is based off of convenience, reliability and cost of having a virtual doorman over physical ones. Some places may do one shift doorman due to daytime building traffic like doctor, legal and other private offices. Paying doorman decent wage is not cheap and is very expensive to do so for some property owners and coop/condo boards. Property owners have to pay regular salary overtime, time and half and for some may have to pay health insurance, and other benefits over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is very true. In matter of fact the one of the buildings the company that I work for manages got rid of 4 doorman and placed a virtual doorman instead. All they kept was a porter, handyman and of course the super. The virtual doorman is a huge money saver for the company and again improves overall safety and privacy of tenants. THe only con of the virtual doorman is power usage. The management company I work with for example, the virtual doorman sometimes goes offline due to poor internet connection or lag. A similar story also happened to a buddy of mines, however the management company gave computer monitors to tenants so that they can observe their own guests and deliveries entering the property. Virtual Doorman connection can be spotty at times. If I remember correctly the internet was knocked out on a couple of occasions and guests, packages and food deliveries could not get into the building. If I'm not mistaken I have a buddy that lives in a building with a virtual doorman in lower Manahttan when hurricane Sandy hit the virtual doorman was out of service due to power a power outage at Con Edison facility in the LES. Also if one is technical enough, one can hack through a virtual doorman security. You need to remember that we don't live in a fool proof society!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is good that this article is getting the needed attention and it shows how unequal this city has become. Even though plenty of higher income people are moving to the city, more and more people are also slipping through the cracks of income inequality. You have these new gleaming luxury condos, refurbished buildings that now converted into condos and coops where owners can pay 2k maintenance fees but their staff makes crap dollars. I guess coop/condo board, property owner and management company is reaping the rewards by paying workers low wages.

It seems that you don't like doormen too much. Did you have a bad experience or encounter with them before? A doorman should not or even ever been a longterm job or even a career. Hell its not even a career. Its just a profession. THere isn't much moving up as being a doorman except for being head doorman, super or working in the management office. A doorman has its pros and cons.

Perks like meeting famous people, depending on the famous person, one may want to help you out, I heard of stories where tenants helped their doormen out for further employment elsewhere, but again that is very rare. If one is in a union, a worker can get good health coverage and benefits. Depending on the building such as tenants culture and building up keep, a doorman job can be very cushy. Depending on building and management some doormen can get access to apartments. I heard of one story where a doorman's apartment got caught on fire, management allowed him to live in one of the vacant apartments for a year rent free. Get your packages delivered to you at work. And last Xmas bonus from tenants.

Cons of being a doorman varies from building to building. Again one can be building culture, working on Park avenue as a doorman can be very tense due to rich and wealthy people vs being a doorman full of young yuppie transplants in the Les who like to have fun. Either way, one mistake can be your last regardless of union or not. Even as a doorman some may have to go out of their way like broken pipes, jammed elevators and so forth, hell even if there is a fire. Being a doorman can be dangerous and sometimes out right deadly. I remember a couple of years ago a doorman got stabbed during Xmas time, plenty of intruders look to steal packages during that time. Recenelty in one of the buildings my company manages, it was posted on here about a gay man being knocked out and left for dead just near steps from his building. This happened near the building where this guy lives and its a doorman building. What if the tenant run into his building for safety and the person he was fighting with chasing him and gets into the building? Doorman safety and well being is important and if his safety becomes compromised than its an issue. One time their was an incident when one of the tenants punch a doorman in the face and he was knocked out. Doorman job can be just as dangerous as other jobs. And last doormen have to be careful with tenants, tenants spread rumors, lies, may like or love you, but a doorman must be careful because tenants are customers, being a doorman is a customer service job, and tenants have a right to complain to management.

Its not the privacy or security issues that matters. It all boils down to cost, convenience as well as welfare of having a doorman vs a virtual doorman. Believe me if I was a property owner and I wanted to save a million dollars over the course of 5 years for my own pocket, instead of paying 4 men to watch my property, I would just use a virtual doorman instead. The trend is not based off of privacy for the ultra rich one percent, the trend is based off of convenience, reliability and cost of having a virtual doorman over physical ones. Some places may do one shift doorman due to daytime building traffic like doctor, legal and other private offices. Paying doorman decent wage is not cheap and is very expensive to do so for some property owners and coop/condo boards. Property owners have to pay regular salary overtime, time and half and for some may have to pay health insurance, and other benefits over time.

This is very true. In matter of fact the one of the buildings the company that I work for manages got rid of 4 doorman and placed a virtual doorman instead. All they kept was a porter, handyman and of course the super. The virtual doorman is a huge money saver for the company and again improves overall safety and privacy of tenants. THe only con of the virtual doorman is power usage. The management company I work with for example, the virtual doorman sometimes goes offline due to poor internet connection or lag. A similar story also happened to a buddy of mines, however the management company gave computer monitors to tenants so that they can observe their own guests and deliveries entering the property. Virtual Doorman connection can be spotty at times. If I remember correctly the internet was knocked out on a couple of occasions and guests, packages and food deliveries could not get into the building. If I'm not mistaken I have a buddy that lives in a building with a virtual doorman in lower Manahttan when hurricane Sandy hit the virtual doorman was out of service due to power a power outage at Con Edison facility in the LES. Also if one is technical enough, one can hack through a virtual doorman security. You need to remember that we don't live in a fool proof society!
Who said one did not like doormen? Just posted the linked information, do with it what you will.

As for non-doormen buildings, virtual doormen and so forth, trust me we know a very good number of persons from buildings all over the UES, UWS and who have moved to Manhattan that aren't shot of money. Many have moved out of and or did not wish to live in or otherwise have anything to do with doormen buildings out of privacy issues. Several families quite close to us have moved out of some of our very best co-ops on Park, Fifth, Madison and Park Avenue to either townhouses or lofts in Tribeca/Soho with a goal to live in non-doormen buildings.

Of course of one has one's own staff then doormen become less of an issue as it means someone is at home to accept deliveries and so forth.

Security? Well one supposes so but even there it depends on the nature of a doorman's duties. Women have been attacked in their own apartments in doormen buildings. Just last year it happened to a woman on the UWS as she was sleeping with her daughter. A pizza delivery person was sent upstairs by the doorman on duty, after that job was done he went wondering around the place checking for unlocked doors, he found one and the rest is history.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Who said one did not like doormen? Just posted the linked information, do with it what you will.

As for non-doormen buildings, virtual doormen and so forth, trust me we know a very good number of persons from buildings all over the UES, UWS and who have moved to Manhattan that aren't shot of money. Many have moved out of and or did not wish to live in or otherwise have anything to do with doormen buildings out of privacy issues. Several families quite close to us have moved out of some of our very best co-ops on Park, Fifth, Madison and Park Avenue to either townhouses or lofts in Tribeca/Soho with a goal to live in non-doormen buildings.

Of course of one has one's own staff then doormen become less of an issue as it means someone is at home to accept deliveries and so forth.

Security? Well one supposes so but even there it depends on the nature of a doorman's duties. Women have been attacked in their own apartments in doormen buildings. Just last year it happened to a woman on the UWS as she was sleeping with her daughter. A pizza delivery person was sent upstairs by the doorman on duty, after that job was done he went wondering around the place checking for unlocked doors, he found one and the rest is history.

The gym that I go too, there is a Mexican guy that works out. He told me he is in a lawsuit against a coop board, and management company. He too delivers pizza, he got beat up by one of the tenants while coming down the staircase and was injured from the incident. This was in a doorman building btw and he was knocked out. The broker to the stars was murdered by her assistant in her own home and a regular visitor to the property. Last year in the UWS a nanny killed a kid that she was watching while the mother was at work. A few weeks ago another nanny killed a kid that she was taking care of. Plenty of crime happens in doorman buildings. The doormen are only responsible for the lobby and yes for foot traffic, but whatever happens up stairs is between the tenants and their guests that building staff announces up. Do you think doorman is at fault for these incidents happening in their buildings where they work? Some doorman have hand books or policies if a delivery man is up stairs for more than 5 minutes they have to check up on them. usually plenty of delivery men are dropping off menus under doors.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM

The majority of the tenants respected me and really liked me. I was surprised some of the female tenants were about to cry and even some of the male tenants appeared shocked when they found out I was leaving. LOL

I got along with 98% of the tenants and mind you the structure is large building, so I knew everyone by name and even their friends. There was this one individual (lawyer) who hated my guts for no reason, always a sour attitude and would complain about a lot of things, the majority of that had nothing to do with my duties. He would look at me like I had something to do with that or fix the problem. LOL

I never got too personal with their business, I was friendly and would socialize. Some folks were nosy and ask for the scoop. Some folks were nice enough to hook me up with food, bbq's, pizza, home cooking and whatnot. I got offered other things too, but that is a 'hip' neighborhood for you.

I don't know what this sexual bonus some people mentioned here is. LOL! I did find a box of condoms in the bathroom who we believed belong to the porter. He was grey haired and had drinking habits and resided in Morrisania, he was a grumpy type. Was he getting his ? I also recall one day finding a bunch of dildos and cockrings on top of one of the trash bags, they were not too discreet and did not care to cover it. It had instructions too like wtf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City