Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,599 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

*About 6-7 years ago, a new neighbor moved in across the hall. Things started off ok, she came to our door to introduce herself, etc and although she seemed kinda odd, things were pretty normal at first. She would talk to us, say hi, etc and one time she was convinced somebody was stealing her cable(turned out not to be true) and my grandmother went to help her.

Then one day someone started putting garbage in front of our door, and someone had been ripping up our trash bags that we put out in the compactor room. One day the neighbor mentioned that the same thing had been happening to her. Then started the banging on our living room wall(which is her bedroom on the other side), we confronted her about this and she claimed that it wasn't her, that the banging was the people downstairs(Impossible because the pounding is on the wall, not the floor).*

The banging(very very loud) continued every day, at random times for no reason, sometimes even when nobody was in the room. Then we started noticing our mail box being messed up(happened a couple of times) and started missing mail and packages. We noticed the neighbor constantly has men coming in and out at all times but didn't think much of it(not our business, etc) until we found out that she corresponds with convicts *and a lot of these men are ex cons. Things got worse and the neighbor became all out hostile, refusing to talk to us, pounding on the wall at all hours, having her men follow us around the neighborhood, and when we started getting complaints from the office about not tying up trash bags, throwing garbage out the window, and leaving trash in the hallway(None of which we've EVER done). Then when a tenant on our floor died she came knocking on our door to tell us a ridiculous story about how the police had let her in the apt. to look at the "crime scene" and that there was blood everywhere, the cops told her it was a murder and they suspect the downstairs neighbors(same ones she blamed for the banging).

We had to call the police one night when she started banging on the wall very late and not letting us sleep, had her men(she had 3 with her at the time) screaming threats at us through the wall and walk up and down the hallway saying threats and making some strange "Hi yaah!" sounds. When the police came we explained the situation and they went to knock on her door, she came to the door acting all sleepy with one of the guys, and she was like "ohh officer.. We were sleeping, what's going on?" and the police started asking her if she's been banging, etc and all of a sudden she got real lively and was like "Oh no officer! Theyre the ones doing that! They've kept us up all night!" to which the cop replied "Oh I thought you were sleeping?" and she was stammering to find something to say. After that those guys disappeared and she stayed pretty quiet for about a year or 2.

In recent years shes not only started again but she's gotten worse. Waking us up at night with the banging, throwing garbage and bizarre things in front of our door(Dead crab, spilled bags of cornmeal, blood), again having her men follow us around the neighborhood and threaten us, having her men yell death threats and through the wall, making up lies about us to every new neighbor who moves in and to get us in trouble with the landlord, calling the police on us and telling them bizarre stories about us and accusing us(me specifically) of theft, attempted rape, assault, etc. banging on our door and then running back into her apt., going downstairs to ring our intercom at 4-6 in the morning, seems to be doing some kind of drug or something as we frequently smell a VERY strong nail polish remover type smell that gives in instant head ache and sometimes an odd smell that smells like burned pee mixed with body odor coming from her door and sometimes we can even smell it by the living room wall. We've been getting very with respiratory infections lately and wouldnt be suprised if it's related to this.

The woman is most definetely mentally Ill and seems to be specifically obsessed with me. They have a habit of speaking loud enough that we can hear them through the wall and in the hallway. She's accused me of being everything from a drug dealer, a pedophile, a gay prostitute, and a Satan worshipper who trains demons to kill her(She believes my cat is a demon and I've trained my very friendly shih tzu to kill her). She has a persecution complex where she believes everyone in the neighborhood hates her and is prejudiced against her for being Italian. We have heard her asking her men to kill us and shoot us all in the head, even our pets, and rattle off a long list of people around the neighborhood she wants dead. She's constantly yapping away with over the top bizarre stories about me and my family and various people around the neighborhood having some kind of conspiracy to kill her, and how I've hired armies of minorities to hunt her down and kill her. Note that she uses racial slurs to refer to anybody who's not Italian constantly. High lights of her story telling include:

Rattling off a hit list and giving the guy the order she wants them killed in, and an escape plan consisting of running back to the apt. As fast as he can.

Stories about how I've paid off the cops and now they give her the finger as they pass by, tell her to "f*** off" when she calls them, and frequently try to murder her.

Stories in which groups of various non white people that I've supposedly hired are hunting her down around the neighborhood.

Talking about her dead/dying mother who's so far died and come back to life more then 7 times that we've heard.

Writing "f*** you people, drop dead" on her door as well as drawing an obscene picture, then calling the police and saying I did it, and telling the neighbors I set fire to her door, after nobody believed her she drew scribbles all over the door and finally repainted it.

Ranting about demons, angels trying to kill her, her fighting off entire armies of angels and demons, us having thanksgiving dinner with Satan, spending Christmas eve by doing drugs and singing Christmas songs with demons and cops, dragons, "blue spirits", Satan and God being in her bedroom and telling her she's the only person they hate more then each other, and saving all the little kids in the building from an army of black people, Chinese people, demons, and angels after coming home from seeing Titanic(??)

We have spoken to other tenants who are being harassed by her, and a lot of people around the neighborhood know her she is and how insane she is. There's one tenant in particular who used to be friends with this neighbor and has experienced the same harassment, and told us that this neighbor is obsessed with us, has said how happy she would be if we were dead, uses a mallet to bang on our wall, and is jealous of my 14 year old cousin and my dog among other things she told us. We've called the police many times and they always say its a landlord tenant issue, can't do anything. But all the times we and other tenants have complained about this woman to the office nothing has happened. We don't feel safe with this woman next door and its a big source of stress, we have a couple videos of the banging and threats being yelled through the wall, as well as pictures of things she's thrown by our door, but so far no luck with the police.*

Sorry for the long post but my family and I are at our wits end about this insane neighbor and hoping somebody here can lend some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenantDusk View Post
advice.
Move.
Rent strike.
Have you videotaped?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Order of protection? If she violates, she would go to jail, right? And you'd be free.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Google "right to quiet enjoyment" and read what it means, legally. Your landlord must provide it. Try contacting the Metropolitan Council on Housing and see what they can help you with.

You said this has been going on for years. If so, you should have more than a "couple" of videos. So, get your camera back out, or buy one, and leave it on. That way when she starts to act crazy, you will not have to scramble to turn it on.

Have you thought of moving? If you fear for your safety, it seems like that's the only smart option.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
Trust me, my grandma truly does mean well

Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Rattling off a hit list and giving the guy the order she wants them killed in, and an escape plan consisting of running back to the apt. As fast as he can.

Ok this was very entertaining. Much better than Pacific Heights.

I'd move. Besides the cray, especially if there are funky chemical odors coming out of there.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times
Is this your neighbor?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...inst-wall.html

Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
The police won't do a thing for you until someone gets hurt. And if she's not moving out anytime soon, you should.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
I would move. Not worth living next to someone like that. She sounds possessed...lol.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Have you documented all of this with specific details, dates, times, etc?
Have you sent written notice to the building management/owner with a return receipt and informed them of all of that you wrote here?
Have you called the Police regarding noise and harassment issues and this neighbor?

Until you do any or all of the above the issues will not be resolved one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: