Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM

21 posts, read 48,394 times

Advertisements

Got mine too....wish it was a different letter saying welcome aboard. Oh well.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 48,394 times
I agree with you. I'm no where near getting hired...but based on what I read on thread and what my san man brother in law tells me...I have already formulated a strong opinion on it. Do your job honestly and to the best of your ability and keep in mind how long your shift is. The way I see it...why be the first one done and why be the last one done. There is always a medium. It is impossible to police each individual san man in this run and dump conflict...but you do have the ability to police yourself for doing what's right for yourself, your well being, and state of all of our jobs.
As far as I know being a san man in waiting, There are no prizes given for finishing first or for picking up the most trash .
My knees and back may come in handy one day.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 8,882 times
Default First Post

Hello all, this is my first post on this thread and yeh i know its a little bit of a late start. Lets just say ive been waiting for the right time...

I came on in the July class, and as I was sitting in the class it seemed to me that alot of the information was repeated over and over again which I couldn't stand, but much to my suprise all of that repeat information comes into play on a daily basis so i gotta stress to those of you in training to pay attention, particuarly to breaks and procedures and what not...

Anyways, I ended up in M7 which is a really great...makin sundays, good supervisors, good SW's, great super. At first I didn't think I was going to like this job with all of its rules and regs, but my opinion made a complete 180...Whether it be transport jobs, baskets, collection or relays it gets better everyday. I never thought that I would be driving an FEL in chinatown or the west side hwy, but now I am and its certainly a thrill...So stick it out, its not as bad as everyone says...

PS to those guys who ended up in the BX: Haha!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 PM

300 posts, read 659,378 times
Wilk that was my point... i think i said that in my earlier post.. i'll say it again so some others with time on the job can understand... If the idiots want to run and dump that all well and good... i can care less about target weights and $hit.. i wont run and dump.. enough said .. can care less if im doing 2 tons or 22 tons... i also can careless if i dont ever leave my district.. i know plenty of people on this job and can tell you i dont care about your target weights.. Running and dumping doesnt happen everywhere....

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM

364 posts, read 739,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk419 View Post
I agree with you. I'm no where near getting hired...but based on what I read on thread and what my san man brother in law tells me...I have already formulated a strong opinion on it. Do your job honestly and to the best of your ability and keep in mind how long your shift is. The way I see it...why be the first one done and why be the last one done. There is always a medium. It is impossible to police each individual san man in this run and dump conflict...but you do have the ability to police yourself for doing what's right for yourself, your well being, and state of all of our jobs.
As far as I know being a san man in waiting, There are no prizes given for finishing first or for picking up the most trash .
My knees and back may come in handy one day.
There is no run and dump conflict. I dont care if people stay out all day, but people on this board seem to care If I finish early. This job is all about you and whats good for you . Noone cares about you, your family or anything on this job. I did not make the job this way. It was like that when I started. No senior guys give a fock about you, truth is they dont even want you hired. If you get layed off they will celebrate trust me Ive seen it.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM

364 posts, read 739,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez View Post
Wilk that was my point... i think i said that in my earlier post.. i'll say it again so some others with time on the job can understand... If the idiots want to run and dump that all well and good... i can care less about target weights and $hit.. i wont run and dump.. enough said .. can care less if im doing 2 tons or 22 tons... i also can careless if i dont ever leave my district.. i know plenty of people on this job and can tell you i dont care about your target weights.. Running and dumping doesnt happen everywhere....
LOL you will be leavving your district If you stay days thats the point. You dont have a choice to stay If their are no spots. Stay out everyday I DONT CARE thats my point . I could care less If they hire another class does not affect me. I could care less If they lay off NOONE does. This job has no unity and never will again, so worry about yourself and you might make 20 years on this job.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,483 times
hello all, I am new to this forum and maybe someone can answer my questions. I took the newest exam 6063 and i got a list number of 4917. what is the chances of e getting hired?

second is there a hiring freeze? some people say no and some say yes maybe some inside people on this site can help me out.

I already have my CDL license I am currently a seasonal with the NYC DOT. Its a great job alot of OT but I need more security. If anyone can help me out I will really appreciate it.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDOT7384 View Post
hello all, I am new to this forum and maybe someone can answer my questions. I took the newest exam 6063 and i got a list number of 4917. what is the chances of e getting hired?

second is there a hiring freeze? some people say no and some say yes maybe some inside people on this site can help me out.

I already have my CDL license I am currently a seasonal with the NYC DOT. Its a great job alot of OT but I need more security. If anyone can help me out I will really appreciate it.

With the way the list is moving, you better hope you can get in before the list expires. Hiring freeze? there was a class in july and currently an august class. The august class might be the last of the year and they barely reached list #500. CDL is half the battle of getting this job, once you have it, its just a waiting game.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM

128 posts, read 224,837 times
yo gizz boogie down aint that bad man im in a good district in the bronx lol....they put you on fel what exactly is your detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7GIZZ View Post
Hello all, this is my first post on this thread and yeh i know its a little bit of a late start. Lets just say ive been waiting for the right time...

I came on in the July class, and as I was sitting in the class it seemed to me that alot of the information was repeated over and over again which I couldn't stand, but much to my suprise all of that repeat information comes into play on a daily basis so i gotta stress to those of you in training to pay attention, particuarly to breaks and procedures and what not...

Anyways, I ended up in M7 which is a really great...makin sundays, good supervisors, good SW's, great super. At first I didn't think I was going to like this job with all of its rules and regs, but my opinion made a complete 180...Whether it be transport jobs, baskets, collection or relays it gets better everyday. I never thought that I would be driving an FEL in chinatown or the west side hwy, but now I am and its certainly a thrill...So stick it out, its not as bad as everyone says...

PS to those guys who ended up in the BX: Haha!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM

335 posts, read 747,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDOT7384 View Post

normally I would say your going to get hired no problem but since we are in a freeze that might be a problem. Yes there is a Freeze. But not an total all out freeze.

The list last for 4 years, so it expires Feb of 2012. Usually in an list we reach 6,000+. So Normally you probably would have to wait an 2 or 3 years to be called in.

But at the rate we are moving thru the list and the amount of people accepting the job compared to other years i have an feeling that we won't be hitting list number 8000 like last list. My guy feeling is maybe 5,000 ( which would mean your in ). So your probably gonna have to wait 3 years to get on the job.

Either way, your chances of getting hired are pretty good for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City