Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 21,184 times

Advertisements

Well New York's gun laws have made it one of the safest cities in the country along with tight policing. The reason chiraq's murder rate is so high is because the cops are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well like I said....this country has more guns than people...so we should have no crime right? Those red states where people are packing just to walk 10 feet to check the mail are still having nonstop crime, and in fact are some of the places with the highest crime rates in the country. So the allegation that more guns = more safety is not true, and you know that Marilyn. It is great if you personally feel safer owning a gun, but owning a gun makes you or someone in your family more likely to be hurt by a gun! The irony is delicious.

All the data is clear..more guns = more crime, more violence, not less. It is your legal right to own a gun, and I am not stopping you from doing that. But saying it makes you safer, or decreases crime is simply a lie. So own your guns, enjoy them, but stop lying and making up "facts"...it is your right and that's the only reason you need.
There is no easier state in the nation to purchase a hand gun than Vermont. And Vermont has about one or two gun murders a year. Same with some other states. Think Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and a bunch of others. Somehow, the people are able to control themselves with their guns.

Nice try. Let's hear your next theory.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Nice try. Let's hear your next theory.
No.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Rubygreta don't you mean to say DeBlasio, aka The Great Deceiver, is trying to take our guns away, eat our children, steal our money, and also a lousy dresser? I believe the 8 other anti-DeBlasio threads are awaiting your nonsensical tirades.

Airborneguy: Why haven't you left NYC, or rather Staten Island, yet. What are you waiting for?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Rubygreta don't you mean to say DeBlasio, aka The Great Deceiver, is trying to take our guns away, eat our children, steal our money, and also a lousy dresser? I believe the 8 other anti-DeBlasio threads are awaiting your nonsensical tirades.
Actually, if you could get off your soapbox and LISTEN, I have said over and over that I do not anticipate the crime rate and murder rate to increase significantly (or increase at all) under de Blasio. So LISTEN!

With respect to gun murders, it is no secret that the US has a high murder rate because inner city African American men kill each other. The fact that a city like Baltimore with something like 650,000 people has 200 to 250 murders ever year is an absolute disgrace. Extrapolate that rate to New York City and we would have 3,000 murders.

So instead of "let's ban guns," how about focusing on where the problem is - the inner city.

And what did New York City, under Rudy, Bloomberg, and so far de Blasio (yes, de Blasio), do to reduce the number of murders from 2,300 to 350? Why can't we export the NYC model to Baltimore and other cities that have astronomical murder rates?

Stop the tirades against me, and try to come up with ideas. And I will continue to criticize de Blasio when I feel it's appropriate. With respect to crime, so far no criticism.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Who said anything about banning guns? I sure didn't..I believe I said don't make excuses for owning a gun..it is your right and need no other reason. I live in one of the most notorious hoods in NYC, let alone the country..the infamous South Bronx, and have never felt the need to own a gun. There are no bars on my windows, the front doors are glass, and have never had an issue in the 60 years we have owned the place.

The murder rate reduction was a societal change...murders have dropped in that time frame (20 years) across the country, regardless of police strategies. If you look at those cities who you say have "astronomical murder rates" they too have had drastic declines over the 20 year period...they are just not as low as other cities. There is no model to export...except communities becoming more involved and working more closely with police.

As soon as you stop the unjustified tirades against DeBlasio I will do the same.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I'm not leaving until your tax dollars are a permanent part of my financial planning.

By the time I "woke up", I was too far into my career to give it all up. Besides, my gun rights have only been slightly infringed by Dear Leader Cuomo, nothing a few drives to America/Pennsylvania can't overcome. New York will never see an ammo purchase with my name on it show up in its database. I'm actually going to shoot tonight at a range in NJ. Can't wait!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM

If I were you I would not be counting on any such NYC pensions as a substantial source for my financial planning. The pension obligations, we have learned, are not guaranteed, and people in other cities are learning this fact the hard way. At the rate our economy and debts are going, NYC will not be able to sustain its obligations either without decimating it's tax base and QOL in the process. I sure hope you have a plan B and C!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
If I were you I would not be counting on any such NYC pensions as a substantial source for my financial planning. The pension obligations, we have learned, are not guaranteed, and people in other cities are learning this fact the hard way. At the rate our economy and debts are going, NYC will not be able to sustain its obligations either without decimating it's tax base and QOL in the process. I sure hope you have a plan B and C!
Finally someone is speaking my language. I had to rep you here sobroguy. But then again one can live very comfortable on NYC pension in parts of the cheap south. However pensions are gradually being eroded. 401k is next to face the chopping block!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
I walked through Times Square last night around 1am and for the first time in years I felt a little uneasy. Has anyone felt the same lately ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City