Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of Charter Schools?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 39 43.82%
Undecided 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM

125 posts, read 115,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
For a reference to to this particular black pot's maturity, most people probably have post #85 bookmarked by now
SO youve given up your arguments apparently OP
thanx for the discussion

The legitimate argument provided against charter schools that AMSS gave you WON
hope you have the decency to Thank him for his imput to your query
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
You are in NYC. I'm at the other end of the state. However, these items may come into play there and I am surprised it has not been done already:

--8 of the 15 Charters in Buffalo are unionized.
--Charters here have had licenses revoked in less than the standard time if they were not performing .
--Some charters were not filled and filled without lottery
--The district money from the state goes to the charter. When charters started, if they tossed the kid back to the public system, they kept substantial amounts of that money.

Any of those can be found online.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM

122 posts, read 293,623 times
My child will never go to a public or a charter school because I hate them both. However, I have friends who work for charter schools and those who work for public school and the biggest difference is charter school teachers have more rights in the sense that they can send misbehaved kids out of the class and students can easily be expelled from school. Unlike, public school teachers who have to kiss the lazy parents behinds. Charter schools are allowed to force parents to be active in the school. If public schools had that right they would be better. I do not have the option to not be part of my child's education in a private school. I am responsible for some type of fundraising and being in contact with his teacher and if not me someone in the family or a nanny. The schools are not equal one has more money coming in and has control over their student population. People spent way too much time worrying about public school teachers. I went to private school my teachers didn't really teach us yet most of my class went to college. It is more than the teachers but a failure of a system and the parents.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
My child will never go to a public or a charter school because I hate them both. However, I have friends who work for charter schools and those who work for public school and the biggest difference is charter school teachers have more rights in the sense that they can send misbehaved kids out of the class and students can easily be expelled from school. Unlike, public school teachers who have to kiss the lazy parents behinds. Charter schools are allowed to force parents to be active in the school. If public schools had that right they would be better. I do not have the option to not be part of my child's education in a private school. I am responsible for some type of fundraising and being in contact with his teacher and if not me someone in the family or a nanny. The schools are not equal one has more money coming in and has control over their student population. People spent way too much time worrying about public school teachers. I went to private school my teachers didn't really teach us yet most of my class went to college. It is more than the teachers but a failure of a system and the parents.
Well said!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
I know you didn't just claim that parents ruined the NYC public education system. Nobody can be that...

...nevermind lol

That is absolutely what I meant--- I think today's parents are a bunch of entitled twits whose kids could not make it out of the protection of New york city. When compared to the suburban kids I know NYC kids do not measure up.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post
To all the people complaining about charters having better students, what is wrong with that? I still see it as better than the alternative, which is to have those students stay in their crappy neighborhood schools. Consider two outcomes. The good and poor students stay in their neighborhood schools and receive terrible education. Or the poor students get sent back to neighborhood schools to receive terrible education while the good students receive a good education at the charter school. It seems clear to me that the second option is better. Maybe a better option exists so that some of those poor students can also receive a better education, but until you present it, this seems better than the alternative.
nothing is wrong with it as long as you the parents pay 100% for it as an opt out fee for leaving the public school system.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, and charters do educate all. The admissions process is random selection, and no special needs or disabled child can be denied placement. The problem is that a lot of parents are not very involved in their kids education and have no idea there's an alternative to their zoned school. Usually when those types find out, it's time to start school at that ship has sailed. It's not that the kid was denied by the charter, the kid was denied by his/her parent(s)

If you really believe this you join the most naive group of parents in NYC. The decks are stacked and if you have any doubt just review who is in each charter school.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
No horse in the race but I voted no. If you can't give vouchers so that parents can use catholic or jewish schools then same should apply. I notice that a lot of former catholic grade schools are being rented out by the board of ed then converted into charter schools.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
parents like you should be locked up for child abuse. If there is any place where the parents like you don't belong it is in the formal education of children. I see so many parents these days who dote on their children as if they were geniuses and just the mention of Nanny shows your true colors... stay home and care for your children like people from my generation did and your kids will be better off for it. I have found there is a direct correlation between the proximity to Wall Street for parents and the failure in life for children in later years. Rather than a monthly bonus check and a trip to the Bahamas how about giving your kid a hug ?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM

122 posts, read 293,623 times
Just letting you know I am a stay at home mom who has never had a nanny. However, most of the children at my sons school do. Their kids are just fine. Neither my husband or I have ever worked for Wall Street. So you little rant is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City