Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of Charter Schools?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 39 43.82%
Undecided 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 AM

125 posts, read 115,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it? Those rules and regs were not created by teacher's unions; they were created by legislators. Teacher's unions have no say in curriculum and the actual running of a school. This misinformation is what charters depend on. Even Eva realizes that she's doing the equivalent of a Little League coach who chooses the most talented kids to play on his team and then preaches what an amazing coach he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
THE CHILDREN ARE GETTING ROBBED HERE what the FLYING fock do they have to do with a principal showing up once a week ...or teachers having sex.... this is just a few bad apples that should not CONDEMN an ENTIRE CITY of public school students to second class citizenship
WHAT PART DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?

I have posted MANY QUESTIONS that NOBODY here can ANSWER
Questions have been answered over and over. You choose to ignore every one of those answers and place blame on everything else.

Yes, blame charter and the EVIL eva and her mega salary. Nevermind the fact the chancellor makes just as much. Nevermind the fact thanks to union rules, there are multiple and multiple layers of management doing nothing all making six figures. Spread the wealth, the union way.

Yes, blame the parents the students can't read. Nevermind the fact the charter school have many schools with the same students that excel in their school.

Yes, blame the judge and the city nobody ever get fried in public school. Hey, those are the rules. Don't blame me. Yes, the union way.

Now when will we have accountability for the public teachers?

65% graduation rate and half of them can't read.

On and on....

How many more examples you need?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Questions have been answered over and over. You choose to ignore every one of those answers and place blame on everything else.

Yes, blame charter and the EVIL eva and her mega salary. Nevermind the fact the chancellor makes just as much. Nevermind the fact thanks to union rules, there are multiple and multiple layers of management doing nothing all making six figures. Spread the wealth, the union way.

Yes, blame the parents the students can't read. Nevermind the fact the charter school have many schools with the same students that excel in their school.

Yes, blame the judge and the city nobody ever get fried in public school. Hey, those are the rules. Don't blame me. Yes, the union way.

Now when will we have accountability for the public teachers?

65% graduation rate and half of them can't read.

On and on....

How many more examples you need?
PLEASE POST THE ANSWERS

apparently you have not read the entirety of this thread because all you doing is same old same old BLAH BLAH BLAH the UNION BLAH BLAH

its really very simple
put up or shut up

Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 PM

what does poll numbers mean to the children?

what does middle class flight mean to the children who ALL NEED AN EDUCATION?

why do people support public charters?

what do they offer that public schools dont?

and WHY do I have to pay for them?

Charter school students dont sit down and listen to the teacher and take notes?

So you dont want ALL children to get a good education because you dont like the TEACHERS UNION?

you want to better the lives of your KIDS at the expense of the other children who are not randomly selected to participate in the charter school?

You dont think your kid would make the cut if some kids arent weeded Out?

people like me would like NYC to go BACK to the Ghetto? REALLY????

MY Children were born and bred in THE GHETTO of NYC and utilized PUBLIC SCHOOL fully without excluding their peers!!!

and they ARE and remain the CREAM OF THE CROP cuz they rose to the TOP!!!

IS it my fault if your kids cant cut it?

WHAT do they DO in charter schools that are so different from a PUBLIC School?

WHY cant ALL students be given the opportunity for such a fantastic alternative.. instead of just the randomly chosen few?

Why do the taxpayers have to be on the hook for paying for a TWO TIER SYSTEM?

WHAT do you think gonna happen to the kids who are not chosen when the charter moves into their ALREADY OVER CROWDED SCHOOL?

where are the excluded kids supposed to go?

DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN OR JUST GETTING RID OF THE UNION?

cuz any teacher who went thru college and got certified to teach in nyc and are willing to choose to work at charter school just so they can be fired on a whim

MUST be the bottom of the barrel and graduated dead last in their class

and these minimum wage slackers (SCABS)will teach the kids the same lackadaisical why try attitude they have
these "teachers" just spending time at charter until they get there credit repaired... and their criminal background cleared... so the can finally pass a DOE background check

HOW do YOU KNOW that all PUBLIC and PRIVATE schools only have one learning style at only one Pace?

are you painting with a really big brush?

or are you just talkin out ya arse?

Last edited by firebrand4; 03-27-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
what does poll numbers mean to the children?

what does middle class flight mean to the children who ALL NEED AN EDUCATION?

why do people support public charters?

what do they offer that public schools dont?

and WHY do I have to pay for them?

Charter school students dont sit down and listen to the teacher and take notes?

So you dont want ALL children to get a good education because you dont like the TEACHERS UNION?
1 out of 3 students does not graduate this great public school system.

Almost 80% of graduates do not have the basic skills down.
Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York

Quote:
you want to better the lives of your KIDS at the expense of the other children who are not randomly selected to participate in the charter school?
Eva Moskowitz's 22 Success Academy Charter Schools have come in for heavy criticism from the Mayor and the teachers’ unions. Perhaps they are embarrassed at how well her schools perform compared to district schools. Success Academies rank among the top 1 % of all New York schools with 82 %t of fifth grade students passing the 2013 examinations. Fifth graders from Success Academy in Harlem ranked first in math achievement among 2,254 schools in the state.

Charter Schools Emerge As Proof of the Strategy Of Putting a Priority On Student Achievement - The New York Sun

I wonder why they are lining up.

Quote:
MY Children were born and bred in THE GHETTO of NYC and utilized PUBLIC SCHOOL fully without excluding their peers!!!

and they ARE and remain the CREAM OF THE CROP cuz they rose to the TOP!!!

IS it my fault if your kids cant cut it?
Well that explains a lot of things. I guess is not your fault you will never understand. Fortunately for your kids, I heard the food service industry is heavily recruiting the top of the class from our fine graduates at NY Public schools.

Quote:
WHAT do they DO in charter schools that are so different from a PUBLIC School?
Accountability. A foreign word in NY public school system.

Quote:

WHY cant ALL students be given the opportunity for such a fantastic alternative.. instead of just the randomly chosen few?

Why do the taxpayers have to be on the hook for paying for a TWO TIER SYSTEM?
Tell debozo to expand the charter school system and i guarantee more than 50,000 students will be on the waiting list.

Quote:
DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN OR JUST GETTING RID OF THE UNION?
The union's motto is union, security, god, and then children.

Quote:
cuz any teacher who went thru college and got certified to teach in nyc and are willing to choose to work at charter school just so they can be fired on a whim

MUST be the bottom of the barrel and graduated dead last in their class
Wonder how Success Academy is in top 1% in all 5th grade passing the exams with community college rejects.

Quote:
or are you just talkin out ya arse?
You been doing that for 18 pages now.

Last edited by ipuck; 03-27-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 AM

My children graduated from public schools all the way thru one fromSuny Plattsburgh the other from Suny morrisville my eldest just completed her masters from Lehman they never went to charters who success academies were allowed to pick and choose from the unwashed masses of kids thereby guaranteeing their success rate
My kids rose to the top because I cared enough to make sure they did theory work and if all parents did the same we wouldn't be having this conversation

So if you to lazy to put in the work the taxpayers should pay for your spoiled brats to go to quasi private school at the expense of the others. Parents should be held responsible and be accountable for their kids education
Not the nanny state
If charters are so great why can't their curriculum be adopted Citywide?
Is it because then they would lose their client base?
What happens to the kids who ate not selected to attend?
Who's accountable for what happens to them when charters take over the building
Why can't charters pay rent to use the public school buildings since they don't have to take all the students and they spaces selected few get classrooms and the rest get a shed in the school yard?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 AM

Apparently the main difference in charters from public school is the ability to choose the top performing students assign them to low performing non union scabs in order to say these kids are the best without union teachers
So it's a union busting ploy funneling public money into private hands
I'm done with it
I will be sure to support the mayor on this issue because I care about all the kids
And one thing I know for sure is if you tell a child they ain't good enough they can't compete it is a self fulfilling prophecy and they won't even try
My fellow Americans. Think Twice before you doom them to the scrap heap
I just count myself lucky my kids finished before this charter crap got started because if the school tell them they not worth the trouble then all my home training would have been for nothing the instant they walked thru the schoolhouse door
SAD

Last edited by firebrand4; 03-28-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Success Academies rank among the top 1 % of all New York schools with 82 %t of fifth grade students passing the 2013 examinations. Fifth graders from Success Academy in Harlem ranked first in math achievement among 2,254 schools in the state.
Guy you're arguing with a brick wall. By his logic, if the kids are doing well it makes it a "private school" and elitist. To be a good proper citizen you need to be willing sit in a dead end school and flip burgers when you turn 20

Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Guy you're arguing with a brick wall. By his logic, if the kids are doing well it makes it a "private school" and elitist. To be a good proper citizen you need to be willing sit in a dead end school and flip burgers when you turn 20
as i said before... the top performing students were assigned to low performing teachers and called charter
you stacked the deck in your favor....should got a 100 percent if that all it takes LOL
the cream of the crop gonna rise to the top ....even if the teachers are members of the Crips
you are the brick wall OP .... you dont care about the kids AT ALL
you cant even answer why charters are best for the students just pickpocket the taxpayer
Any kids who are not picked by a charter should sue for discrimination and educational neglect
then we see how much Eva success academy can pay her then

Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
I have a kid who's going to start school. Personally, for a lot of reasons and personal experience, I prefer the public school experience, as a first option. If there are any issues, then make all attempts to see if those issues can be resolved before alternatives approaches have to be attempted.

With that said, I'm not totally against charter schools. I don't have a problem with charters as a choice. I would prefer more public accountability (regulate them the same way as public schools, and find properties to put them in without shoving them into already crowded public schools).

I do think there's more public school choice than many believe. My niece was, while at a public grammar school in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx, was one of the smartest in her class. Her teachers recommended that she take the test for Hunter, one of the better schools in the city. Passing the Hunter test allows entry into Hunter, from grammar school through high school. Unfortunately, she didn't pass. But the opportunity was there.

A friend of mine has a 7 year old son who loves school. In fact, he may be a little genius. His school, also in the Bronx, attempts to give him more challenging work, but he still aces it! It's not like the school doesn't care. It's just that they don't have the resources to challenge him! I also suggested to my friend the exam for Hunter. She's looking into it.

One thing in all of this I am learning. An active parent makes a better student, and keeps the school on its toes! Also, an active parent must have knowledge of as many opportunities within the public school system as possible. Trust me, the opportunities inside of the public school system are there. One just has to know about it. Many parents in poorer neighborhoods may not have access to the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City