Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times

Advertisements

It is open season on Con Edison and New York City. Since de Blasio is handing out money and seems not to have a large enough pair to fight lawsuits it may be time to get in while the getting is good.

Anyone know of someone that lives in that area with an address I can use? Of course would be willing to go 80/20 or even 60/40 depending upon circumstances.

Woman block away from blast sues over Harlem explosion | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM

34,106 posts, read 47,338,050 times
To me, it's no different than this:

Tenants of Luxury Building Sue Management Over Sandy

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,699 times
I wonder if it's the landlord or the city that should be sued?

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,231 times
This person and many others of her ilk would be filing a lawsuit whether the mayor was Bloomberg, DiBlasio, or Bugs Bunny.

Don't you just love the other person suing?? A "20 year old high school student" --- suing for $10 million because the force of the blast threw him out of his seat on the M116 bus and he says he got a torn ligment and a broken blood vessel. A twenty year old high school student. Seriously.

Everybody is going to jump on the bandwagon and start suing and/or joining the class action suit. The minute the blast happened, many people saw it as a payday.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
I wonder if it's the landlord or the city that should be sued?
Rule number one: whenever possible *ALWAYS* make the City the main or co-defendant if possible. Every attorney that does civil matters here knows this, and there are very good reasons.

One, the City in theory has the deepest pockets. In short their ability to pay is unlimited because not only of their asset but tax base.

Two, under the odd and byzantine laws of NYS and NYC when co-defendant cannot or will not pay their portion of a judgment , the City can be forced to pay the entire amount regardless of what percentage of blame was assigned.

For these reasons the City always has been the target of nuisance lawsuits. Attorneys and or their clients simply hope the City will pony up with a settlement ( as with the recent de Blasio FDNY decision), or wait for a famously liberal NYC judge and or jury to award them something.

Will agree with another poster that you are likely to see lawsuits from everyone from East 96th Street to probably 125th Street bordered by Madison and Lexington avenues. Then there will be those in the area at the time of the blast for work or other reasons including just happened to be walking past. Finally look for "first responder" lawsuits from those that rushed to assist but now claim they suffer from a host of ailments.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,323,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To me, it's no different than this:

Tenants of Luxury Building Sue Management Over Sandy
The city has deeper pockets. Plus they can just reach into mine and yours.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The city has deeper pockets. Plus they can just reach into mine and yours.
Which is why "helicopter" de Blasio scares many. That money he is showering down on all and sundry isn't his own you know.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM

34,106 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Two, under the odd and byzantine laws of NYS and NYC when co-defendant cannot or will not pay their portion of a judgment , the City can be forced to pay the entire amount regardless of what percentage of blame was assigned.
I've never heard of this.....if this is true then any mayor would have their hands tied, not just deBlasio.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've never heard of this.....if this is true then any mayor would have their hands tied, not just deBlasio.
No, not really, there are options.

If the City lets it be known they will mount an aggressive and vigorous defence as Bloomberg as doing with the FDNY case some attorneys and or their plaintiffs will think twice. Bloomberg came into office with a businessman's point of view. That was it was cheaper and more certain to settle cases where warranted rather than incur the costs of legal proceedings. Remember even if the City wins or at appeal their lawyers still have to be paid and so forth. They could try to seek an award of legal fees but often NYC judges aren't inclined to order "blood from a stone". That is your average NYC resident does not have tens of thousands to pay such an award, thus such a judgment could be seen as punitive.

NYPD Abuse Increases Settlements Costing City $735 Million - Bloomberg

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM

19 posts, read 103,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is open season on Con Edison and New York City. Since de Blasio is handing out money and seems not to have a large enough pair to fight lawsuits it may be time to get in while the getting is good.

Anyone know of someone that lives in that area with an address I can use? Of course would be willing to go 80/20 or even 60/40 depending upon circumstances.

Woman block away from blast sues over Harlem explosion | New York Post
What you're asking is illegal. Too bad you weren't a victim of the blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City