Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,710,579 times

Advertisements

You're well enough to travel, but not well enough for jury duty?

Just do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,717,687 times
I served in Feb 2010 on a misdemeanor trial at the Bronx Hall Of Justice. is it in 6 or 8 years that i will get called again?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM

118 posts, read 164,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You're well enough to travel, but not well enough for jury duty?

Just do it.
this travel i have no choice but to do and flying on a plane has a bathroom, taking the nyc trains right now is an issue for me and each day is different then the last, i cant work right now because of this problem so jury duty is not something that would be easy for me

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM

947 posts, read 1,466,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
this travel i have no choice but to do and flying on a plane has a bathroom, taking the nyc trains right now is an issue for me and each day is different then the last, i cant work right now because of this problem so jury duty is not something that would be easy for me
Really? You just have to sit down and just read a book or two if needed. You get paid 40 bucks a day and a certain amount for gas, parking fees.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Really? You just have to sit down and just read a book or two if needed. You get paid 40 bucks a day and a certain amount for gas, parking fees.
i dont drive, train for 40 min can be an issue for me right now, i have no problem doing it its just not a good time right now with my health im constantly at drs and going for tests etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Just say you are loco and they won't pick you for the jury

Pretend you see magic butterflies and god is telling to you to vote the opposite of everything other people vote

That is not totally true and not the most helpful of advice.

Anyone claiming an exemption from jury duty can and most likely will be hauled in front of a judge to explain themselves. In the years since exemptions have been ended for most everyone from high to low (mayor Bloomberg had to show up for jury duty but wasn't picked IIRC). judges have often taken a very dim view of those the perceive trying to wiggle out of serving.

Persons have been held in contempt including having to serve jail time and *STILL* had to complete jury duty. In one famous case outside of NYC a female trying to get out of jury duty was brought before a judge to explain her request for an exemption. It was denied by the judge and she was at once placed on a panel. In response the woman uttered the "F" word or maybe gave the judge the Bird. In short order she was charged and fined with contempt and hauled off to jail.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
I have postpond jury duty twice due to health reasons, last time i got a notice i was traveling on the day they wanted me to come in and i sent a formal letter with proof, today i got a new notice to come in and says i was absent once even though i sent the letter in with proof now this new day they gave me i cant do either and i still have on going health issues that they dont seem reason enough to be excused what can i do? and how many times would i be able to just no show without issue in kings county
IIRC once you have used up all telephone/letter deferrals you will be summoned or otherwise must go to the county clerk's office and have a sit down. Some but not all of those charged with vetting such requests have heard every excuse under the sun and usually aren't that moved. If you argue and or otherwise make things difficult they simply will sent you before a judge for you to explain your reasons. Once this happens things are taken up a notch in that the judge can not only place you on a panel at once, but sent you to jail/levy fines for contempt.

Gather up all your medical notes and so forth and go to the country clerk and see what they say. Most likely you will be told that all sort and manner of accommodations are made for everyone from heavily pregnant women to those with disabilities. If you are able to travel for work or whatever it is likely to be deemed you can make it down to jury duty. You may also be asked to set a certain date for service sometime in the future.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,746,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is not totally true and not the most helpful of advice.

Anyone claiming an exemption from jury duty can and most likely will be hauled in front of a judge to explain themselves. In the years since exemptions have been ended for most everyone from high to low (mayor Bloomberg had to show up for jury duty but wasn't picked IIRC). judges have often taken a very dim view of those the perceive trying to wiggle out of serving.

Persons have been held in contempt including having to serve jail time and *STILL* had to complete jury duty. In one famous case outside of NYC a female trying to get out of jury duty was brought before a judge to explain her request for an exemption. It was denied by the judge and she was at once placed on a panel. In response the woman uttered the "F" word or maybe gave the judge the Bird. In short order she was charged and fined with contempt and hauled off to jail.
Who said anything about asking for an exemption, The magic butterflies want you to be a juror

Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Well at this point i would probably attempt to serve but they keep giving me dates when im out of the city last time i was out of the state visiting drs elsewhere this time they gave me a date for when im coming back into town so if they just let me put it off a few weeks that will be fine as long as im stable but as i said things happen and my situation changes day to day which is why i havnt been able to hold down a job

Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Who said anything about asking for an exemption, The magic butterflies want you to be a juror
Well yes, that is true. It is very difficult to get out of JD today. Know persons who give up and or not participate in many civic functions or whatever (driving, voting, etc...) all in efforts from keeping the court system from getting their names.

Thing is NYC has many residents who are; not citizens or legal residents, do not speak English as their primary language, have criminal records, and or otherwise not qualified to sit on juries. So it does seem like the same pool is called every six or ten years (forget the window).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City