Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I use the 33db AND a white noise loop playing on my iPod w/ speakers. The Zone !
I may have to try that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Just telling us you've "tried talking to them" isn't much help. How many times? How did you phrase it? How did they react? Do they have carpeting? Do your leases require carpeting? Are they just heavy walkers? Is it an issue of shoes?

Personally, I think that it's much better to do it in writing.

In the absence of sufficient information from you...I'd write a polite letter saying you'd hoped things would have improved since you spoke, but unfortunately not. Then I'd be specific in my complaint - much more specific than you were here, and maybe specific with a suggestion or two.

Then wait. If you have enough grounds to then go to the landlord, that's the next step.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Just telling us you've "tried talking to them" isn't much help. How many times? How did you phrase it? How did they react? Do they have carpeting? Do your leases require carpeting? Are they just heavy walkers? Is it an issue of shoes?

In the absence of sufficient information from you...I'd write a polite letter saying you'd hoped things would have improved since you spoke, but unfortunately not. Then I'd be specific in my complaint - much more specific than you were here, and maybe specific with a suggestion or two.

Then wait. If you have enough grounds to then go to the landlord, that's the next step.

If someone is being loud during sleeping hours I am knocking on the door. Later for writing a letter

Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
When there is noise I try to ignore it as much as possible.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Looking for a top floor or corner unit apt is a good tip, but chances are you'll have at least 1 neighbor you'll end up knowing way too much about. That's life in the big city as they say.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:12 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Sent two notes to them....I hardly ever see them (they NEVER seem to leave the house-MAYBE for a five minute car ride and back home they are). It's two older sons and their elderly mother. Very bizarre, neither of them seems to work or anything, they just go to the store and come right back to stomp over our heads.

So I left two very polite notes. Basically saying that the noise is bad and if they would mind letting up a bit. It hasn't helped. I asked in the last note if they have carpet with padding, as per condo rules. No response, or acknowledgment of the note at all.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Sent two notes to them....I hardly ever see them (they NEVER seem to leave the house-MAYBE for a five minute car ride and back home they are). It's two older sons and their elderly mother. Very bizarre, neither of them seems to work or anything, they just go to the store and come right back to stomp over our heads.

So I left two very polite notes. Basically saying that the noise is bad and if they would mind letting up a bit. It hasn't helped. I asked in the last note if they have carpet with padding, as per condo rules. No response, or acknowledgment of the note at all.
I had the same experience when I lived in New York- twice!

What stunned me was the lack of empathy. These people did not care and even grew hostile.

Each time I moved.Such problems made me a homeowner. The only noise at Chez Moth is the creaking rafters in the attic when the temps fluctuate.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I had the same experience when I lived in New York- twice!

What stunned me was the lack of empathy. These people did not care and even grew hostile.

Each time I moved.Such problems made me a homeowner. The only noise at Chez Moth is the creaking rafters in the attic when the temps fluctuate.

Good luck.
It is amazing isn't it? How they just don't seem to care. If it were me, I would talk to the person who left the note, and try to work something about..and definitely be more mindful of the noise I am making but no such luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
I feel this is a good topic. I live on the first floor of my prewar building apartment. Luckily we have no neighbors below us, so I can walk however I want without having to worry about anyone living below us.

On the other hand I've had problems with the neighbor on the second floor above me since it was a lady who always walked around the house either in her heels, or her clogs. I went up there to confront her with my wife one day, and it got better for a while, but gradually got worse again until she moved out. Anyway, the noise after a while just gets annoying, especially at night. She also had a habit of letting the toilet seat lid slam shut after she did her business, so I would hear a loud thump before she flushes the toilet. Throughout the day or even into the night I would hear her drop random things onto the floor which I found annoying, I often thought did she trip and fall? maybe she was clumsy. The day she moved out was a joy for me and my wife, but the moving out process was loud as well as she started at 7am and didnt end till 4-5pm as she had a lot of stuff and bulky furniture to move.

Then the apartment above me stayed vacant for 2 months or so until the new tenant moved in, and so far its another lady, as I can tell by the sounds of the heels walking on the hardwood floors...it hasn't been as bad as she takes her heels off after she comes home. Either way, the good news is that I am moving in a few months into a detached, single family home, and wont have to deal with people too close to me anymore!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I feel this is a good topic. I live on the first floor of my prewar building apartment. Luckily we have no neighbors below us, so I can walk however I want without having to worry about anyone living below us.

On the other hand I've had problems with the neighbor on the second floor above me since it was a lady who always walked around the house either in her heels, or her clogs. I went up there to confront her with my wife one day, and it got better for a while, but gradually got worse again until she moved out. Anyway, the noise after a while just gets annoying, especially at night. She also had a habit of letting the toilet seat lid slam shut after she did her business, so I would hear a loud thump before she flushes the toilet. Throughout the day or even into the night I would hear her drop random things onto the floor which I found annoying, I often thought did she trip and fall? maybe she was clumsy. The day she moved out was a joy for me and my wife, but the moving out process was loud as well as she started at 7am and didnt end till 4-5pm as she had a lot of stuff and bulky furniture to move.

Then the apartment above me stayed vacant for 2 months or so until the new tenant moved in, and so far its another lady, as I can tell by the sounds of the heels walking on the hardwood floors...it hasn't been as bad as she takes her heels off after she comes home. Either way, the good news is that I am moving in a few months into a detached, single family home, and wont have to deal with people too close to me anymore!
You're very lucky to be moving into a detached house, hope I can say the same soon. I am so sick of dealing with noise and inconsiderate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: