Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
Indeed. There seems to be some amount of difficulty discerning between "I can't afford it" and "it isn't worth the premium".
What's worth 1000 bucks to you may be worth 100 bucks to the next man. Who cares. Just because you think it's not worth it, won't make the price tag change. So therefore, you can't afford it. You think you walk into the car dealership and the salesman tells you, this car is 45K. You say I think it's worth 30K. What, the salesman is going to say, you're right, pay what you think the car is worth and we'll call it even??? What type of Lion Witch and Wardrobe world do you people live in.....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 PM

75 posts, read 112,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
Indeed. There seems to be some amount of difficulty discerning between "I can't afford it" and "it isn't worth the premium".
Yep, and this is what happens when you have opinionated sheeple whose neurons are not firing on all cylinders.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell me about it! Definitely gives a challenge to getting dressed in the morning. Do I wear the North Face and t-shirt or the light raincoat and sweater. Lol.
It's true that "jacket time" can last as late as early June and start as soon as early October here. For those who are new to the area, it can be shocking, considering it's only 50 miles from NYC. The spring and fall are much shorter than you might expect.

I live in what is probably the coldest town in Westchester, as it is not only one of the 4 towns along the north border of the county, but it is far inland from the water, and is right near a reservoir surrounded by a wooded area.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That temperature is a huge difference.
Yes, in fact one morning last week it was 14° here and 27° in the city! (A difference of 13 degrees!)

Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
I guess weather can be a huge declining factor on where to move. But for me it's all about cost, quality and the amoumt of opportunities that should be a factor for moving and never weather.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Weather is considered a very strong factor in the high suicide rate of the pacific northwest. Weather strongly impacts peoples moods and is known to be a cause of depression. Don't let anyone tell you that you're a wimp because the weather is a big issue to you.
Thanks!

I could never, ever live somewhere like Seattle. I would have to be on antidepressants. I hate rainy, gloomy weather.

I could actually feel a shift in my moods as soon as it starts to get cooler here, and the summer is over. I think I might suffer from SAD..

Old 03-30-2014, 04:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Thanks!

I could never, ever live somewhere like Seattle. I would have to be on antidepressants. I hate rainy, gloomy weather.

I could actually feel a shift in my moods as soon as it starts to get cooler here, and the summer is over. I think I might suffer from SAD..
It's shame too, because Seattle is a great city with easy access to some kick ass nature.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Born and bred NY'er here and for the first time in my life I'm ready to relocate.

My wife and I make good money and we are comfortable here in terms of lifestyle but it feels increasingly like there are less and less benefits to living here aside from family. Our jobs and skill sets are fairly easy to transfer which is great but where to move?

The weather is the main reason we feel like leaving, and the second would be cost of living. For the latter we don't feel like we get value for our money and as for the former this winter has rendered the city unliveable. This nonsense weather never seemingly ends and it's just a bad joke at this point as it rains all Saturday.

NYC has sadly become a great example of the laws of diminishing returns. We don't expect to replicate the energy, the culture, or any of the other great parts that makes NYC so vibrant and exciting but is there anywhere else that comes close in the US?

San Diego? Tampa? I've been to both and they are definitely not NYC but the weather makes them winners at least. Just wanted to get opinions as to where in the states you'd all go to and what the pros and cons of these places would be? Charlotte? Never been there.

We'd definitely miss the museums and the general greatness of NYC but after this Winter we're ready to call it quits. I've heard this from other life long NY'ers as well and it's pretty sad as we've usually been a hardy bunch. I think the sterile Bloomberg years made us weak. Survival of the fittest in NYC I guess and natural selection has called time on us perhaps.
Why don't you just work towards a place in life where you can get away for a brief period, a few times each winter ? Break up the winter a bit if it's getting to you.

No place is paradise in the weather department.Tampa is hideously stifling 4 or 5 months of the year.The humidity can be as unbearable as any NYC winter. Most NYC winters are really pretty mild.There have been stretches of winters here when I've wondered if it was ever going to snow again,actually craving a good hard freeze and a dinky little 5 or 6" storm.
Probably won't be doing that next year but probably will be doing that in 3 or 4 years.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why don't you just work towards a place in life where you can get away for a brief period, a few times each winter ? Break up the winter a bit if it's getting to you.

No place is paradise in the weather department.Tampa is hideously stifling 4 or 5 months of the year.The humidity can be as unbearable as any NYC winter. Most NYC winters are really pretty mild.There have been stretches of winters here when I've wondered if it was ever going to snow again,actually craving a dinky little 5 or 6" storm.
San Diego is pretty perfect weather wise. But after too much of it, you start craving a little variety. It's still pretty damn ideal though...

Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
San Diego is pretty perfect weather wise. But after too much of it, you start craving a little variety. It's still pretty damn ideal though...
Agree.San Diego probably has the most perfect weather in the country.Spent some time there though and didn't care for it for other reasons. Always a trade off I guess….always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City