Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you read ALL his posts? He can be quite nasty himself.
Read some...maybe I missed something, but it seemed he was just defending himself.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,054,974 times
out of the USA.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM

424 posts, read 974,804 times
I wouldn't move away from the NYC metro area (not for another 10- 20 years anyway) but when I do I would relocate along the east coast somewhere between Washington DC and Boston. Though, San Fransisco is nice but more expensive than NY. Then there's the islands of the South Pacific or Caribbean coast of Central America if you really want a complete lifestyle change for a year or so. And you can live a very nice lifestyle on even a low income there than most places in the US....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
I grew up in Westchester (lived in many places there ---- Port Chester, New Rochelle, Pelham, Eastchester, Mamaroneck, Valhalla and Irvington) and went to college in NYC. I started a job in NYC after graduating, and couldn't wait to be able to finally afford to move down to the city. By the time I was able to afford it, I was sick of the city (all the noise, traffic jams, inconvenience in parking, all the government regulation, it just goes on and on), so I decided to move to northern Westchester instead.
This. I moved from Pelham lived all over the city for a number of years and loved it for the most part except for my last year living in the city and especially when I lived in Inwood (really bad judgment call on my end). When I first moved to the city and heard people say they were thinking about moving out or they didn't like NYC I thought they were completely insane and just couldn't handle it. I would eat my words years later when I started reminiscing about quiet and space back in the burbs (bizarre for a 20 something living in the city but it happens) Then the subway service started going downhill after Sandy, I began taking Metro North or (LIRR when I moved to Queens) more and more. I decided it made more sense at that point to live in the burbs so I moved to Larchmont and am saving little bit more money living here as compared to when I lived in the city, even when I was renting in Sunnyside Queens somehow. I learned what kind of lifestyle I enjoy and it's nice to have a quiet neighborhood/ home to come back to after work. You need to live where you're happy coming back to after a long day.

Last edited by ehanson; 04-02-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 01:17 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,992,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I don't get the hostility towards the OP at all....I re-read the original post and it just seemed like he was asking opinions. Why the nastiness??
Some people take it personal when others want to leave NYC. They then decide that it is their responsibility to decide what can and can't be discussed on a forum. Rather than choose the easy path and ignore that which they are disinclined to enjoy reading, they spend far more time berating the person who wrote it.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM

75 posts, read 112,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's because I am a NY'er and can talk real-world slang with the best of them without a big stick up my ass like yourself, regardless of my "education and social milieu." I am a real three-dimensional person, not a pretend snob like yourself. My education was at top schools and my ancestors on my mother's side were well established in this country before the American Revolution, so touche, moron.

For added value, I suggest you leave NYC immediately without further comment, because frankly we DO NOT CARE where you end up. If you cannot afford it here, you cannot afford it. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. Try East Jesus, Southland, Virginia or North Carolina for a nice McMansion.
Only read your first sentence since you're a complete waste of time and haven't added anything of value yet again. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder and feel threatened by me so lash out for no reason.

There are obviously some sad things going on in your life to cause your bizarre outbursts so hopefully you find some peace. Enjoy your day and may your troubled soul find some rest.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM

75 posts, read 112,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Read some...maybe I missed something, but it seemed he was just defending himself.
Sadly Jen there are a lot of unsuccessful, deranged lunatics who add seek to just troll and add nothing of value. Maybe it fleetingly gives some false sense of importance to their sad, pathetic little lives.

You are spot on in all you said so you are definitely an astute observer! Enjoy your day and don't let trolls get you down.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Some people take it personal when others want to leave NYC. They then decide that it is their responsibility to decide what can and can't be discussed on a forum. Rather than choose the easy path and ignore that which they are disinclined to enjoy reading, they spend far more time berating the person who wrote it.
you are 100% right! Can for the life of me figure out why some people defend a city like it is a close relative

Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You really do not think that it is more useful to post these type of questions in the forums of the cities in which the OP may want to move to? So the berating is helping this OP find his way through life, since he is obviously lost since he has not a clue of where to go. Post it in the Tampa or San Diego forums. I'm sure there are ex-NYers that moved there that can provide advice.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM

384 posts, read 512,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You really do not think that it is more useful to post these type of questions in the forums of the cities in which the OP may want to move to? So the berating is helping this OP find his way through life, since he is obviously lost since he has not a clue of where to go. Post it in the Tampa or San Diego forums. I'm sure there are ex-NYers that moved there that can provide advice.
If the op's post had been at all disruptive, instead of just disruptive in the imaginations of those who believe New York City should be praised with North Korean unanimity, I'd agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City