Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM

72 posts, read 125,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NTell all the millionaires that live here that NYC has a low quality of living. You just can't afford it, and think you're entitled to live a certain way.
You think is a prestige to ask to have a decent salary in order to pay for the rent of an average apartment in average neighborhood, fresh food, normal transport, good healthcare, a car, right for vacations etc? Well my friend, unless you are a millionaire as you said, or some lucky SOB, than this city is becoming everyday a mission impossible. I would have moved in a heart beat to Florida if it wasn't for the high unemployment in this state. Quality of life is the first thing. You abuse with you life you gonna pay latter all the money to the doctors.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,357,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Auto-correct changed "seated" to "seeded" for me. I am not sure what a $50 phrase is though?

Thanks for stating I am better off thinking for myself though. You've been an amazing help.
Lame excuse, especially since you made that mistake SEVERAL TIMES, as you kept repeating the phrase over and over again at SeventhFloor like a parrot because you thought you were "so clever."

Are your fingers broken? If you knew any better in terms of usage, you would have changed it back from what "auto-correct" changed it to.

A fifty dollar phrase (or word) is when someone is using a phrase (or word) incorrectly in a hilarious attempt to try and make someone ELSE look stupid.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM

75 posts, read 112,322 times
[=I_Love_LI_but;34173698]Lame excuse, especially since you made that mistake SEVERAL TIMES, as you kept repeating the phrase over and over again at SeventhFloor like a parrot because you thought you were "so clever."

Are your fingers broken? If you knew any better in terms of usage, you would have changed it back from what "auto correct" changed it to.

A fifty dollar phrase (or word) is when someone is using a phrase (or word) incorrectly in a hilarious attempt to try and make someone ELSE look stupid.[/quote]

The truth is not an excuse.

What you refer to as "fifty dollar" words or phrases are in the common vernacular of anyone with an education. Speaks volumes about your own education and social milieu that you believe rather pedestrian terms to be overly sophisticated.

You have added nothing of value to the thread I started. Perhaps you will write back more meaningless nonsense of no value or you will learn to do something better with your time. Up to you really.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
The OP has constantly attacked anyone who disagrees with him -- even those who make the most innocuous remarks that conflict with his POV -- through name-calling and personal attacks, insulting their intelligence and literacy (all the while showing questionable traits in these areas himself).

Pretty obvious to me he's either trolling or at least not to be taken seriously.
I love it when people think they're so intellectual and such great writers when abusing others on CD and then they make these glaring mistakes (like using "deep-seeded" for "deep-seated" ... really?!?!) that show they're nothing but frauds and actually don't know very much about language and writing after all ... and unintentionally show their true idiocy!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
The truth is not an excuse.

What you refer to as "fifty dollar" words or phrases are in the common vernacular of anyone with an education. Speaks volumes about your own education and social milieu that you believe rather pedestrian terms to be overly sophisticated.

You have added nothing of value to the thread I started. Perhaps you will write back more meaningless nonsense of no value or you will learn to do something better with your time. Up to you really.
It's because I am a NY'er and can talk real-world slang with the best of them without a big stick up my ass like yourself, regardless of my "education and social milieu." I am a real three-dimensional person, not a pretend snob like yourself. My education was at top schools and my ancestors on my mother's side were well established in this country before the American Revolution, so touche, moron.

For added value, I suggest you leave NYC immediately without further comment, because frankly we DO NOT CARE where you end up. If you cannot afford it here, you cannot afford it. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. Try East Jesus, Southland, Virginia or North Carolina for a nice McMansion.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,512,241 times
I don't get the hostility towards the OP at all....I re-read the original post and it just seemed like he was asking opinions. Why the nastiness??

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,348,787 times
Not sure where I'd move, but leaning towards Vermont. This winter was the best ever regarding snow, but it is too inconsistent year after year in NYC. I'd rather it almost be guaranteed that we'll have snow on the ground every day during the winter months. Hopefully this winter is the new norm going forward, forcing all those that cry about it out.

One thing I do know is that I would of probably posted this thread in the forums of the top 100 locations that I'd consider moving to rather than in the forum of the city that I am wanting to move out of.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I don't get the hostility towards the OP at all....I re-read the original post and it just seemed like he was asking opinions. Why the nastiness??
Did you read ALL his posts? He can be quite nasty himself.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure where I'd move, but leaning towards Vermont. This winter was the best ever regarding snow, but it is too inconsistent year after year in NYC. I'd rather it almost be guaranteed that we'll have snow on the ground every day during the winter months. Hopefully this winter is the new norm going forward, forcing all those that cry about it out.

One thing I do know is that I would of probably posted this thread in the forums of the top 100 locations that I'd consider moving to rather than in the forum of the city that I am wanting to move out of.
Well you're a logical thinker!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,841,300 times
I am actively looking to locate to South Beach, Miami. It's my perfect mix of urban and suburban. You can walk or ride a bike the majority of the time, but it's not overbearingly crowded. They actually have fantastic public elementary schoos, which I will be able to walk my children to in a few years. I am really into fitness, so being in new york has really been tough on me.

I am 31 and engaged. I love some things about the city, hate others. I absolutely despise the subway and hate how dirty the city is with an ever increasing homeless population.

South Beach is beautiful in my opinion. With a family income of $200 - $250k, you can live a very comfortable life, something I don't see in NYC (for what I'm looking for.) You can get an amazing apartment with direct bay or ocean views, be within walking distance of your kids school, and a 15 minute beautiful drive to Brickell business / financial district. I have no desire to raise my kids in NYC, and have promised myself I won't be one of those dads driving to the train station, taking a 45 minute train into that zoo of penn station or grand central, then taking a miserable subway ride, to a five block walk to my office.

Yes, I know it has its draw backs down there - I've spent a ton of time down there.

I won't knock anyone who likes NYC. But please save your defense mechanism of telling me I'm leaving b/c I can't cut it in NYC, or can't afford it, blah blah. I would also very much like San Diego or Tampa, but I spend a ton of time in Miami, so have a great set of friends down there, like the social element and 'cool factor' of SoBe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City