Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
First thing you should check is if those listings you saw are really walking distance to the LIRR. If not, you'll have to drive or wait for the bus to the station and that adds to your commute time.

The other thing is that there are no good groceries in the center of town. The nearest is the Milk Farm at 35th which is a long walk with limited merchandise. Otherwise, you'll drive to go to the grocery or maybe have to shop in Manhattan.

If you can deal with driving then Bayside should work for you (or also look into Secaucus Junction though further away from family). Not sure if you will be satisfied with it.

Bayside has bars and restaurants but probably not in the same league as Manhattan or Smith/Court streets in Brooklyn.
Bar's on smith/court street are filled with transplants/Hipsters. Bayside is not that type of area. Also I would put Uncle Jacks up against any steakhouse in NYC including that one in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Bar's on smith/court street are filled with transplants/Hipsters. Bayside is not that type of area. Also I would put Uncle Jacks up against any steakhouse in NYC including that one in Brooklyn.
Maybe, but that is all up to personal preference. I think the situation in Smith and Court is such that the patrons are yuppies/yupsters with some immigrants from France, while the hipsters work the tables and counters. At least that was my impression with Prime Meats, Kittery, Milkbar, French bistros etc.

Question is what would Liz's preference be given that she is accustomed to the bars and restaurants in Manhattan. Will she be satisfied with what Bayside has to offer?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Question is what would Liz's preference be given that she is accustomed to the bars and restaurants in Manhattan. Will she be satisfied with what Bayside has to offer?
That would indeed be the biggest adjustment. I don't go out a great deal, though, these days, so I am thinking it will probably be ok.

But to respond to an earlier post of yours, if I move out of Manhattan, I consider a car to be a necessity. (Truth be told, I miss driving quite a bit.)

My "landlord" has no intention of moving back to NY these days, so I am good for now. But this thread has been helpful!

Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Did a quick search through this forum, and found an older 12 page thread titled the same way, but it was a disaster of racism and crap. Not at all the info I'm looking for (not that I think the OP from that thread was looking for that either...)

Born and raised in the Bronx (Throggs Neck/Country Club). Currently living in Manhattan (UES). 35, female, single. I have a very unique and amazing sublet right now, that allows me to live very cheaply on the UES. I've been trying to figure out "what next" for when this arrangement ends (probably not anytime immediate, and will have plenty of notice).

Family is all still in TN/CC, and of course Mom would love it if I moved back there. While I like the idea of being close to my family, I just can't fathom the thought of the commute. I work near MSG, so a commute from TN/CC entails a local bus, then 4 different subways (about 1:15) or the express bus then either a subway or a long walk across town (minimum 1:45 in the morning, a lot better in the evening).

I was thinking of Bayside...easy to commute in and out the city for work/play on the LIRR (25 minutes + travel to station), and an easy hop over the Throggs Neck Bridge for family time. Rents are decent (I've been seeing $1300-$1600 for a 1 bedroom, I'd be looking on the lower end of that since my transportation costs would be going way up, between LIRR ticket and getting a car).

I just worry that it's not the right "fit" for me. Being 35, I'm a bit past the party all night, every night lifestyle, but I DO like to go out to dinner, and still do have my "get crazy" nights, just way fewer and further between. This is another part of what's holding me back from moving back to TN/CC - I recently lived back there temporarily, and it wreaked havoc on my social life. No one ever wanted to come visit, and if I wanted to go out, I had to drive and plan on not drinking, or plan for a very expensive cab ride home. I worry that this will also exist, albeit to a lesser degree, in Bayside. Being single (and hoping to not remain so forever), I also worry about meeting someone and how/if proximity will affect the development of a relationship.

Anyone have any input? If you live in Bayside, how often do you go into Manhattan to "play", and is it a pain in the ass? If you looked at moving to Bayside, but decided against it, why? Any 30's singles live there?

Thanks in advance!!!

(BTW, please take any kind of race-baiting posts elsewhere - I'm completely comfortable with the ethnic makeup of Bayside and that's not at all a consideration here.)
Hi, I went through the same thing recently as my rent in LES expired and weighed all the neighborhoods outside Manhattan. I eventually ended up moving to Sunnyside where I'm paying $1600 for a large 1 bedroom. I contemplated places like Bayside (too far), Astoria (too expensive), down to Brooklyn, Prospect Heights, Greenpoint (overrated) etc. I'm in my late 30's and enjoy eating out, nightlife, etc etc and work in Manhattan. There are certain things I considered. One is, if you have to take the LIRR, and the commute goes above the 30-45min threshold, at some point you will stop hanging out in Manhattan. I have seen this happen to all my friends who moved out to the other boroughs. Once you go to Bayside, your leisure habits will change. Places like Williamsburg/BedSty, tho they boast a fast commute isn't really fast at all. I've timed the L train and it takes me to Union Sq usually in 30-45 minutes including wait time (the L train is the worst in reliability and they come around so SLOW). Sunnyside doesn't offer a great nightlife, but the point is, it's 15 minutes away from Manhattan via 7 train. There is no faster train than the 7 train coming into Manhattan. In your situation, the 7 train would be a real quick transfer over to where you work.

I have lived in several hyped neighorhoods in Brooklyn and Queens, and to be honest, I got bored with it real soon even tho they offer their own nightlife communities, ie Williamsburg (way overrated). It gets old quick, so having sprawling nightlife right outside my door isn't important. I actually prefer that. So for me, cheap rent and accessibility to Manhattan led me to Sunnyside. The neighborhood is safe, quiet, ethnically diverse, lots of nice family owned businesses, groceries, local butcher shops, cafes etc. I was surprised to also discover plenty of nice restaurants, beer/wine bars too.

Most importantly, I like the fact that I can go home to peace and quiet, but am only 15 minutes away from Manhattan. Perfect for someone in their 30's in my opinion.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 06-25-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 05:37 PM

335 posts, read 503,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Very helpful - thanks! I'm familiar with the different car routes, so know all the ins and outs of driving in - not much different than driving from TN/CC. In fact, a lot of the characteristics are similar, just far better commuting options, hence why it's being considered!
Bayside has an express bus into Manhattan and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City