Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,255,125 times

Advertisements

Where in Staten Island is your job located? Staten Island is a big place and not as friendly as with public transportation as other areas of nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,374,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
I spoke to my friends in Brooklyn and they said Park slope is the best place for a young, single professional. Perhaps they are wrong?

But yes, Bay Ridge is appealing as well because of the easier commute. I am shying away from SI because I heard there is not much to do.

But again, I may be wrong.

PS and BR are very similar in terms of atmosphere---they both have avenues with a lot of restaurants, bars and shopping. They also both have a lot of families, so that doesn't really matter. BR will save you a lot of time and money. And if you're concerned about being in a "hip" place for young, single professionals, the financial district is not it.

Couldn't you spend a day checking out each area? I mean, you didn't want to listen to any of the advice on the previous thread so why ask again? Just curious.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM

133 posts, read 204,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
PS and BR are very similar in terms of atmosphere---they both have avenues with a lot of restaurants, bars and shopping. They also both have a lot of families, so that doesn't really matter. BR will save you a lot of time and money. And if you're concerned about being in a "hip" place for young, single professionals, the financial district is not it.

Couldn't you spend a day checking out each area? I mean, you didn't want to listen to any of the advice on the previous thread so why ask again? Just curious.
Appreciate your input.

Well my previous thread was focused just on Brooklyn. Now a co-worker has talked about moving to FiDi, so this thread was basically looking to you guys for advice if FiDI is a viable option. Thats all.

But yeah, I'm here in the UK, thats why I'm relying heavy on this site for lots of opinions before I move over to NYC mid May to find places. Of course I will check out the area in person, but I enjoy having my research done heavily before entering the craigslist jungle...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Where in Staten Island is your job located? Staten Island is a big place and not as friendly as with public transportation as other areas of nyc.
Primarily at Staten Island Univ. Hospital- North Site

Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,044,908 times
Quote:
True.

Are there 24/7 express buses from Manhattan to SI?

I may explore SI living on craigslist and see what I find.

Thanks again,

Buses are not 24.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM

19,079 posts, read 14,032,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Buses are not 24.
The X1 is, and it would be a viable option from downtown to SIUH since it makes stops on Hylan Blvd.

If you're really dead set on living off of SI, good luck. Your salary will really limit you. The more you spend on housing to live in a "hip" area, the less you'll have to actually enjoy it.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,044,908 times
Thanks, didn't know any ran all night.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,255,125 times
Quote:
Primarily at Staten Island Univ. Hospital- North Site
I'd go with bay ridge and hop the bus that takes your right over the bridge. You not that close enough to the ferry to walk to work after you get off so if you live in FIDI you will have to walk to the ferry, take the ferry and then a bus. Live in Bayridge and you can take a 35 minute bus ride to work.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'd go with bay ridge and hop the bus that takes your right over the bridge. You not that close enough to the ferry to walk to work after you get off so if you live in FIDI you will have to walk to the ferry, take the ferry and then a bus. Live in Bayridge and you can take a 35 minute bus ride to work.
thanks man. I agree. I am leaning away now from FiDi and Park Slope and zooming in on Bay Ridge or SI.

If I remember correctly, the bus from Bay Ridge is 5 bucks return to SIUH? Where exactly would I pick up the bus from? 86th or 92nd?

cheers,

Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM

so just checkin the mta website: mta.info | Staten Island Bus Schedules

It looks like there are 2 buses that run from bay ridge:

S79
S53

S79 looks to be a bit more frequent. Is it also quicker than S53? Or do both buses take 35 min from 86th station?

$112/month for unlimited bus/subway...not bad. NYC is CHEAP compared to LDN.

Last edited by Blitz2014; 04-08-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: