Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 AM

255 posts, read 475,904 times

Advertisements

Now, Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit actually began to build a SI-Bklyn connection and it got as far as 150 feet into the Narrows before construction stopped. The tunnel exists under Owls Head Park and a ventilation shaft exist there. The Independent "City-Owned" Subway System also had plans for Staten Island a part of their Second System expansion which as a whole, would have added 100.12 miles of new subways and Els to the city (52 would have been in Queens).

Imagine how built up SI would be if those connections had been built. The rest of this city for that matter. Makes me wish I had a way to see that possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI197981 View Post
One year after the bridge first opened to traffic, calculations were made to estimate when it would be ideal to open the lower level. In 1965, nearly 50,000 vehicles crossed the bridge on a daily basis. It was said vehicular traffic would steadily increase one year after the next. The ideal year was 1975 based from estimations, but there was a significant rise in traffic volume before 1970. It was then decided to open the lower level 6 years earlier, in which was not anticipated.
Interesting, thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I remember the lower level of the bridge was added on after the upper was done.

It is a sin that the zoning laws allow for such dense housing on small parcels of land. I really do hate all the stuck together homes with concrete all around. It looks so horribe and takes away and country feeling you were supposed to get.

To me, Brownstones in Brooklyn are ten times nicer looking, at least they look regal and sturdy, not like the cheap crap they build now, and don't even get me started on "fedders" specials......

Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Do you know how many lights I've blown simply because am not used? *LOL*

Richmond Terrace after Jersey Street was pretty much light free until you got towards Port Richmond, not no more as I found out! *LOL*

Hylan Blvd is a disgrace. It is almost like the Westside Highway for the lights and amount of traffic.

it is worse than that.
86th street in brooklyn where I live moves faster, no lie.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
it is worse than that.
86th street in brooklyn where I live moves faster, no lie.
Hylan Blvd except late nights especially on weekends/holidays is a disaster.

God forbid there is an accident or something on the VZNB, you can often get traffic backed up far as Ocean Breeze not to mention Fingerboard Road and other side approach streets.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Now, Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit actually began to build a SI-Bklyn connection and it got as far as 150 feet into the Narrows before construction stopped. The tunnel exists under Owls Head Park and a ventilation shaft exist there. The Independent "City-Owned" Subway System also had plans for Staten Island a part of their Second System expansion which as a whole, would have added 100.12 miles of new subways and Els to the city (52 would have been in Queens).

Imagine how built up SI would be if those connections had been built. The rest of this city for that matter. Makes me wish I had a way to see that possibility.
IIRC one of the mains point of the tunnel was to link freight rail service which was then active on SI through to Brooklyn. This would have helped bring down the costs and so forth.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I remember the lower level of the bridge was added on after the upper was done.

It is a sin that the zoning laws allow for such dense housing on small parcels of land. I really do hate all the stuck together homes with concrete all around. It looks so horribe and takes away and country feeling you were supposed to get.

To me, Brownstones in Brooklyn are ten times nicer looking, at least they look regal and sturdy, not like the cheap crap they build now, and don't even get me started on "fedders" specials......
So many beautiful older homes on both the North and South shores have been torn down for those God awful town houses. It just breaks your heart.

Cannot imagine who would pay >$250K to live in such things, but guess if you are coming from an apartment in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx living in a "house" such as that is a step up. What kills me is that these town houses often are duplexes or worse four family.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
When they 1st proposed the bridge they said that tolls will only be collected for 30 years then it will be free like the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges. NOT!

It turns out to be the most bridge with the most expensive toll in NY/NJ.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI197981 View Post
Richard Ramaglia and George Scarpelli waited six days at the toll plaza to be the first two people to cross the bridge. November, 1964.
And hundreds of thousands of Brooklyn Italians followed them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Staten Island needs a direct subway link to Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Staten Island does not need a subway to bring yet more trash onto the Rock. ... it will only encourage *more* persons to move onto SI
Have to agree with Bugsy on this one. If you think SI is crowded now, imagine twice as many people, which would happen with a subway link.
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements...e-1940s-to-now

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GAL...07_2_07_28.gif

Last edited by bigjake54; 04-11-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When they 1st proposed the bridge they said that tolls will only be collected for 30 years then it will be free like the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges. NOT!

It turns out to be the most bridge with the most expensive toll in NY/NJ.

yes, this is true.

I do remember something like that.

I'm sorry, but 15 dollars to cross a bridge is absolute INSANITY.
I really feel everyone should have stuck together as taxpayers and simply not paid it or do a strike or run thru it, something to let our elected officials know that all the taxpayers are not having this.

15 dollars, to cross a bridge....................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City