Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM

34,149 posts, read 47,382,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It's called venting, man. One can be secure in their career or whatever they're doing and still find major annoyances with the new New York and it's current inhabitants. And some people cannot just up and leave so easily. It's just venting. Online forums are used for that sometimes...
Yeah but the venting mostly stems from this image that the media portrays NYC to be, then when they come they cry online. It's pretty juvenile. This is the one of the most competitive places in the country to do anything - everything is going to be harder here to achieve. Meh, it's mostly young 20-somethings that come on here and start these threads anyways...even when you're honest and try to convey the truth, 3 more new threads pop up.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 PM

124 posts, read 150,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ok - and the problem is like I said a few threads back - the people that complain can't afford the lifestyle they want (or think they are entitled) to live here. Every few weeks somebody starts a thread with the same premise....

Times change. NYC used to be a manufacturing city. A blue collar guy could work in a factory and buy a house and the wife could stay home. NYC has little manufacturing areas left. Manhattan south of 14th Street used to heavily industrial, that's completely vanished. When people realize that times, the economy, and demand changes, then they will come to realization with how things are. Complaining about the rent?? Go get a second job, go back to school to get an advanced degree, or move. Either way - change your life, because the rents/taxes are not coming down because you feel some kind of way about it.
Well like I said I am moving. The thread is about justifying to live here so its all relevant.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah but the venting mostly stems from this image that the media portrays NYC to be, then when they come they cry online. It's pretty juvenile. This is the one of the most competitive places in the country to do anything - everything is going to be harder here to achieve. Meh, it's mostly young 20-somethings that come on here and start these threads anyways...even when you're honest and try to convey the truth, 3 more new threads pop up.
Theres noth wrong with comparing NYC to other livable cities. It might help people to move outta here or prevent new "juveniles" from moving here, and everyones better off.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 AM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
What cities are you considering?
Think tornado alley.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Think tornado alley.
Midwest? I saw u mention Iowa before.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times
I have a good friend in Iowa, but I've never considered moving there. I like Arkansas, Tennessee, northern Georgia and SC/NC. We're pretty zoned in on TN though.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Quote:
Ok - and the problem is like I said a few threads back - the people that complain can't afford the lifestyle they want (or think they are entitled) to live here. Every few weeks somebody starts a thread with the same premise....

Times change. NYC used to be a manufacturing city. A blue collar guy could work in a factory and buy a house and the wife could stay home. NYC has little manufacturing areas left. Manhattan south of 14th Street used to heavily industrial, that's completely vanished. When people realize that times, the economy, and demand changes, then they will come to realization with how things are. Complaining about the rent?? Go get a second job, go back to school to get an advanced degree, or move. Either way - change your life, because the rents/taxes are not coming down because you feel some kind of way about it.
All good points, 7th. But those things would require that people be proactive and that they take charge of their lives. Complaint is passive and perpetual. A true complainer will have the same complaints 15 years later, and anyone who has heard that person will know the complaints by heart.

Though do keep in mind older people who worked and made little money and who now live on social security will not be able to create much change in their lives. If they don't already have property paid off, living off social security alone is insufficient income anywhere in this country. They'll have to move into some sort of governmental housing. And yes, that sucks, and there will be those who complain about it endlessly. Homelessness is growing upon that type of older worker who worked in the old industrial NY and who often didn't report all of their earnings, meaning their social security isn't much. And of course they have no pension or savings, so unless the inherited assets from their parents, they are so screwed. And it's too late for them to change.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,145,627 times
I ask that question many times a year. I enjoy the diverse cultures and the amount of things to do. Plus the biggest concerts, events, and activities come through NYC often. The food is amazing. It's exciting to live in.

I do plan on leaving for a cheaper place, but for now I have a good job and a nice apartment. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. People I grew up with don't get why I would want to live here. I don't get why they would want to live in a rural area. To each his own.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM

21 posts, read 38,160 times
I think justifying it depends on your priorities. A lot of people that enjoy living in NYC would not prioritise cost of living over excitement, entertainment and other things the city has to offer. I don't live in NYC, but would love to and would gladly pay 10x more for that privilege. Now what's a privilege for you depends on what believe it's important for you...

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I am saying NYC can survive by importing all its food even if it happened today. Think of whatever reason the rest of the country stops selling produce to NYC, and whoever causes it to happen. Those port facilities in Newark will be put to good use. To say that the city and wall st., silicon alley, media etc. cannot exist without food from the heartland is untrue. I myself can't envision NYC grinding to a halt if food shipments from other states stop flowing in.
Well, much of the food from NYC is already from overseas anyway. Mangos, Bananas, Pineapples all come from tropical places. Rice is grown in the US, but some of it is imported. Apples are grown in the US, but some of them are imported as well.

But the rest of the country would never attempt to stop selling produce to NYC or to any other big city anyway. Business people don't think like that. US farmers sell their products to people all around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City