Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times

Advertisements

Since this thread has a music theme to it... I appreciate that a lot of the music I came of age with is mentioned & still appreciated. We all will always prefer the artists we loved from 13 - 23 years old. I swore I wouldn't stop digging new rock but the inevitable happened: the next crew rebelled against my era & punk, disco, metal, rap etc.... And as the years go by there is less & less I can bear to hear, almost nothing today is listenable to me (although I love current young americana artists).

Conversely there is a fair amount of the punk (ok, mostly The Ramones) & disco tunes I hum along to if the car radio is on & I won't turn it off, I've mellowed & those tunes are now assigned an era in my history. Still no rap or metal tho! (Zep & Hendrix aren't metal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
We are old and Rock is dead in america.

I have all the 70s era Black Sabbath CDs permanently in my CD changer in my car, I listen on my daily commute.

I'm sure some kid reading this is wondering what a CD changer is.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 AM

503 posts, read 899,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
We are old and Rock is dead in america.

I have all the 70s era Black Sabbath CDs permanently in my CD changer in my car, I listen on my daily commute.

Love Black Sabbath.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
People used to communicate more and kids used to come outside and play until it got dark. You weren't tied to your phone and email 24-7. Now everyone is like paranoid robots surfing cyberspace all the time looking for a clue to humanity.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People used to communicate more and kids used to come outside and play until it got dark. You weren't tied to your phone and email 24-7. Now everyone is like paranoid robots surfing cyberspace all the time looking for a clue to humanity.
Oh, there's still kids outside until dark; they're just not playing.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post

Way back in the 60s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.... I hitched-hiked around on occasion & one time I got picked up by this nice "older" man (he probably wasn't older than late 20s - early 30s ) neatly dressed in a suit & a bit of an older car. We drove along & chatted for a bit & then he reached over & opened up his glove compartment & out slid a 45 rpm record turntable! He had taped a quarter to the arm to keep it from jumping.

He had a small case with his 45s filed, mostly Motown. I picked one & put it on & he slowed down so we could listen without too many jumps & scratches. Quite a cast out there...

Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Way back in the 60s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.... I hitched-hiked around on occasion & one time I got picked up by this nice "older" man (he probably wasn't older than late 20s - early 30s ) neatly dressed in a suit & a bit of an older car. We drove along & chatted for a bit & then he reached over & opened up his glove compartment & out slid a 45 rpm record turntable! He had taped a quarter to the arm to keep it from jumping.

He had a small case with his 45s filed, mostly Motown. I picked one & put it on & he slowed down so we could listen without too many jumps & scratches. Quite a cast out there...
Up until he reached the glove compartment I thought this was a satire of how you bumped into a serial killer.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
I wish I could have been around for the 60's and 70's. I'm too young to have enjoyed or even remember the 70's. The 80's were awesome, to me, the 90's were meh. But these last 14 years? Suckage. Whether you are a fan of any of those decades having lived them or what not, at least they had a very definitive identity. It seems the current and last decade are bleeding together with little to no identity. Music sucks and offers little thrill. There has always been bad music, but now with technology, one is forced to wade through a massive sea of mediocrity to get to anything good. In the past, it was easier to find. Music had soul and substance. Now it's doctored to the point it offers little other than getting stuck in your head, good or bad. The internet and all it's advantages has really destroyed a lot of things. I hate that my remaining youth is being wasted on this era. It is boring and dismal.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
It's not a New York thing either. The same holds true of London in the 2000s, which was culturally vapid and soullessly hollow.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I was born in the 70's so I've lived through the late 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and 2010's. The best years in my opinion were the 80's and 90's, since I was too young to enjoy the 70's. The music was great, we had styles that were created in those era's (rather than trying to reinvent things like today) and NYC was a lot more fun. The city was just electric in the 90's. I was living in Long Island but I used to come out to the city at least 3-4 times a week. You didn't even need a plan. I called up a few of my boys and said lets get in the car and head to the city. We will find something to do. The village was all open. All the stores on 8th Ave alive. There were art shops, head shops, clothes shops, etc.

There were so many clubs, bars and night clubs to go to. I had a place to go every night.
The Rave scene was just starting and we had parties in warehouses in Brooklyn followed by the transition to the clubs.

I saw the Grateful Dead several times (when Jerry was alive), Nirvana, The Who, Beastie Boys, etc. If I wanted to see a band play in the city I'd go to the Wetlands, Knitting factory, Coney Island High or CBGB. Now all of them are gone.

Before cell phones got popular you had to call my house and speak to my parents or whoever answered to phone to get to me. Just waiting around for someone to call was exciting. Now you can just text me and find me anywhere. Growing up in the 80's-90's was just so exciting. It just seems like you appreciated things more.

The 2000's started off in fear of the Y2K bug, followed by 9/11 and then the recession. The music for this decade sucked. All I can remember is boy bands, Britney Spears, and other lousy pop bands. Rock and Roll was practically non existent. What good rock bands came out around that era? The clothing styles were uninspiring and unimaginative. The city started attracting the wealthy and rent started going up. Most of the cool clubs shut down, the stores along 8th ave are now empty.

I feel bad for the kids that grew up in 2000's. I don't think they will know what they missed out on.

No,they won't but the kids born 10 years from now will never know how great things were in the early 2000's.
The country is on a permanent decline and has been for at least 50 years already.The 60's were better than the 70's,the 70's were better than the 80's,the 80's were better than the 90's,the 90's were better than the 2,000's.Things get a little worse every decade.It means we are sliding downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: