Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I was born in the 70's so I've lived through the late 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and 2010's. The best years in my opinion were the 80's and 90's, since I was too young to enjoy the 70's. The music was great, we had styles that were created in those era's (rather than trying to reinvent things like today) and NYC was a lot more fun. The city was just electric in the 90's. I was living in Long Island but I used to come out to the city at least 3-4 times a week...
Typical narrow-minded suburban nonsense. OF course NYC was fun if you didn't have to actually LIVE here in the 80s and 90s. Come in for the fun stuff and then go back to the lawn and barbecue and split-level and not have to put up with the druggies, the homeless, the crime, the lousy subways, the bad schools, etc etc. For people who lived here it wasn't a music theme park for bored suburbanites. For those of us living here New York is a hell of alot better now than it was then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
The 2000's was a terrible decade, especially for music. Rock, Metal, Hip Hop etc. was all much better during the 90s then the 2000s. My life in general took a turn for the worst when the new millennium started as well. 9/11 happened, our economy declined etc. I miss the Clinton years. 2010-2020 doesn't look like it'll be any better so far.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBroGuy11 View Post
I will accept that 2001 was a major negative for the decade, but it was still far and away better than the 80s, and certainly the 70s. The economy was better in the 90s, and things were just started to turn the corner in NYC then, but I much prefer the changes happening in the 2000s, and the visible improvements and change of mindset about living in the outerboroughs in particular.

If you miss the Clinton years, you might be in for round 2 in 2016.
NYC after 9/11 has improved greatly, a trend that thankfully continues today. Although the "character" of the city has been somewhat sucked out, at least the city is much safer. If the city was still like the way it was in the 80s-90s I would of moved out a long time ago.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:

The 2000's started off in fear of the Y2K bug, followed by 9/11 and then the recession. The music for this decade sucked. All I can remember is boy bands, Britney Spears, and other lousy pop bands. Rock and Roll was practically non existent. What good rock bands came out around that era? The clothing styles were uninspiring and unimaginative. The city started attracting the wealthy and rent started going up. Most of the cool clubs shut down, the stores along 8th ave are now empty.

I feel bad for the kids that grew up in 2000's. I don't think they will know what they missed out on.
It's called nostalgia for one's youth. Every generation of people growing old always says the current times suck and when they were kids was wonderful and glorious and pure. It's easy to say why. When you're much younger you aren't dealing with the difficulties of adult life, and memories get distorted. Taken from the movie Her, the past is just a story we tell ourselves.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Typical narrow-minded suburban nonsense. OF course NYC was fun if you didn't have to actually LIVE here in the 80s and 90s. Come in for the fun stuff and then go back to the lawn and barbecue and split-level and not have to put up with the druggies, the homeless, the crime, the lousy subways, the bad schools, etc etc. For people who lived here it wasn't a music theme park for bored suburbanites. For those of us living here New York is a hell of alot better now than it was then.
Very good points. Especially since the OP was a kid in the 80s and early 90s, coming into the city sporadically and not having to deal with the daily grind could give you a very different perspective from those that had to deal with it regularly.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Very good points. Especially since the OP was a kid in the 80s and early 90s, coming into the city sporadically and not having to deal with the daily grind could give you a very different perspective from those that had to deal with it regularly.
I was in the city long enough to deal with all that. I stayed with friends and girlfriends for weeks on end that lived in the city. I had jobs in the city and I was single till a few years ago. I went out just as much in the 2000's as I did in the 1990's so I saw the transformation taking place as the years went by. I wasn't just a weekend warrior.

The point was not just about the city but about the times. Please read the thread properly next time before you reply.

Last edited by deeken; 05-02-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Stop acting like an old, miserable know it all. I'm sorry it was so bad for you. At least your rent was cheaper back then. But look on the bright side, in a few years you will be up for social security and won't have to work anymore.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
I was in the city long enough to deal with all that. I stayed with friends and girlfriends for weeks on end that lived in the city. I had jobs in the city and I was single till a few years ago. I went out just as much in the 2000's as I did in the 1990's so I saw the transformation taking place as the years went by. I wasn't just a weekend warrior.

The point was not just about the city but about the times. Please read the thread properly next time before you reply.
No uh you are wrong and they have a right to their opinion which is you knew jack and was for lack of better term, a transplant.

"Please read the thread properly next time before you reply" lol that is funny.

Visiting Manhattan is not the same as living lulz anyone can visit Manhattan, work here, and party

Skimming but if you were less than 30 years old in the 70s-90s your opinion of the city is warped, deranged, and invalid. Young people tend to be leaching off of mommy and daddy durring teenage years/ early 20s, live a care free life, and have no responsibilities. How anyone can take the word of someone like that is ridiculous. Your mind doesn't even fully develop until I believe its mid to late 20s.

As far as music goes, uh no 80s-90s-00s all sucked and more or less the same. Of course each decade has their Michael Jacksons, Madonnas, 2pacs, and Metallicas. However, ultimately, each decade was dominated by crappy sub par POP music. Guess what next decade and the decade after POP will still reign supreme if anything, music trends should tell you that history repeats itself. Like one artists said, forgot name, "all you need is a good beat that's it."

Last edited by MilksFavoriteCookie; 05-04-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: