Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:32 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Now my question is will owners be allowed to specifically write into lease that tenant cannot sublease through an arrangement like what they do with Airbnb?

2. (a) A tenant renting a residence pursuant to an existing lease in a
dwelling having four or more residential units shall have the right to
sublease his premises subject to the written consent of the landlord in
advance of the subletting. Such consent shall not be unreasonably
withheld.
New York Real Property - Article 7 - § 226-B Right to Sublease or Assign - New York Attorney Resources - New York Laws

There is sub-letting and there is what AirBnB does which is a short term rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Such consent shall not be unreasonably
withheld.
A one month minimum sublet lease is almost universally considered a reasonable limitation by the landlord.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am on the horns of a dilemma and would like to do some travelling but I know the cost of hotels is SOOO prohibitive. I would like the idea of switching apartments with someone in London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna for a month or two and I have a decent accommodation that would be a fair trade. But I am petrified of coming home to a trashed apartment.

I would treat any place that I go like it was my own, but if I came home to a wreckage, I'd be shattered. I don't have much but I like it.

Has anyone ever done a short term apartment switch?
Unfortunately renting out your place to others while you're absent you run a high risk of coming home to a wreckage. It's one thing if your apartment doesn't have much stuff in it and you don't really care what happens. But if you're really worried about a wreckage you just shouldn't do it. It's not like you would be able to sue them.

Someone like you should probably only do apartments swaps with people you KNOW and TRUST.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM

AirBnB now has commercials on YouTube showing how "struggling" New Yorkers earn money using the service.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
AirBnB now has commercials on YouTube showing how "struggling" New Yorkers earn money using the service.
They have ads on subway cars now too.

But really, if AirBnB is getting big somewhere, does that mean there is too much demand for hotel rooms, and a lack of supply of them?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They have ads on subway cars now too.

But really, if AirBnB is getting big somewhere, does that mean there is too much demand for hotel rooms, and a lack of supply of them?
Decent hotel room rates per night in NYC especially Manhattan below 125th Street are expensive. Even dive and cheap hotels in suspect areas cost dear for what they are. Then there are the fact NYC and NYS has some of the highest hotel taxes piled on top.

Airbnb and similar listing services aim to succeed by creating a virtual bed and breakfast network. Persons rent out portions of their homes and or share/allow others to use their apartments/homes when they are away. The cost is less than staying in even a cheap hotel and guests have all the advantages of staying in a private home (fridge, use of cooking appliances, etc...) which saves even more.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Decent hotel room rates per night in NYC especially Manhattan below 125th Street are expensive. Even dive and cheap hotels in suspect areas cost dear for what they are. Then there are the fact NYC and NYS has some of the highest hotel taxes piled on top.

Airbnb and similar listing services aim to succeed by creating a virtual bed and breakfast network. Persons rent out portions of their homes and or share/allow others to use their apartments/homes when they are away. The cost is less than staying in even a cheap hotel and guests have all the advantages of staying in a private home (fridge, use of cooking appliances, etc...) which saves even more.
So the AirBnB rooms are cheaper?

I ask because my company have some beef with someone using AirBnb. I imagine she wants to profit off of it, but she started sending us rent checks every month that was around like $1500 more than her rent, and here rent is close to $3000

Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So the AirBnB rooms are cheaper?

I ask because my company have some beef with someone using AirBnb. I imagine she wants to profit off of it, but she started sending us rent checks every month that was around like $1500 more than her rent, and here rent is close to $3000
If this tenant is RC or RS it is against the law for him or her to profit from subletting no matter the duration. Such actions can be grounds for lease termination.

Why someone would pay more than their rent each month is a mystery to me at least. Can see if one is going away or something for a few months and wishes to make sure the rent is current, but still. All major banks offer bill pay via online so it is quite easy to send in the rent from anywhere with computer access.

Many landlords do not want the accounting hassle of dealing with excess rent. Sending in thousands per month in excess of rent would also raise questions in my mind at least about money laundering. By that one means is this AirBnB money properly reported on taxes.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
If this tenant is RC or RS it is against the law for him or her to profit from subletting no matter the duration. Such actions can be grounds for lease termination.

Why someone would pay more than their rent each month is a mystery to me at least. Can see if one is going away or something for a few months and wishes to make sure the rent is current, but still. All major banks offer bill pay via online so it is quite easy to send in the rent from anywhere with computer access.

Many landlords do not want the accounting hassle of dealing with excess rent. Sending in thousands per month in excess of rent would also raise questions in my mind at least about money laundering. By that one means is this AirBnB money properly reported on taxes.
This person feels that if they pay more, it will entice us to allow her subletting to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: