Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The Manhattanville projects aren't that bad. Certainly not as bad as the projects in East Harlem.
Not true. Manhattanville is just as bad. When there was a huge gang bust last June, Manhattanville was included in that bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So why did the city break down the some aparrtments in Manhattanville with a battering ram and do a mass arrest of gang members?

Manhattanville projects are pretty crappy too. People just don't like hearing bad things about where they have friends or relatives.
People don't like hearing the truth about where they live too.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They are addicts, but the true problem is so many homeless services/shelters nearby. Plus they have the places where they can sell cans and bottles for money for drugs.
Yes, this is true. You're usually out of touch when it comes to things in the hood, but this here you're spot on with.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Not true. Manhattanville is just as bad. When there was a huge gang bust last June, Manhattanville was included in that bust.
There are shootings just about every week around or involving Manhattanville, which residents and sympathizers call "the village," I do think East Harlem is somewhat worse.

Bigger police presence is probably one of the factors.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:03 PM

It's not K2 which is solely the problem of the druggies in the particular area. It's plagued with social issues in one concentrated area. You got Wagner, Taino, the AK Houses, 1890 lex and 1990 lexington, 1775 Houses, shelters, rehabs, halfway houses, drug programs, like the odyssey house, all situated in one area. That all makes the area mindbogglingly horrible. It wont be until the area is completely redeveloped, when all these things will be eradicated. I will give the fact that NYPD has been cleaning up the area as of lately. I don't see the druggies camped out under the 125th street Metro North Bridge. Some have moved in front of whats to be 1800 Park Avenue.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
It's not K2 which is solely the problem of the druggies in the particular area. It's plagued with social issues in one concentrated area. You got Wagner, Taino, the AK Houses, 1890 lex and 1990 lexington, 1775 Houses, shelters, rehabs, halfway houses, drug programs, like the odyssey house, all situated in one area. That all makes the area mindbogglingly horrible. It wont be until the area is completely redeveloped, when all these things will be eradicated. I will give the fact that NYPD has been cleaning up the area as of lately. I don't see the druggies camped out under the 125th street Metro North Bridge. Some have moved in front of whats to be 1800 Park Avenue.
There was just a story about that - they were removed, yesterday ... ?
Each said he would be back.

The social service housing and clinics are definitely the problem.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
There are shootings just about every week around or involving Manhattanville, which residents and sympathizers call "the village," I do think East Harlem is somewhat worse.

Bigger police presence is probably one of the factors.
I'm not saying East Harlem aint bad, because it's horrible. I'm saying lets not act like Manhattanville isn't one of the worst projects in Harlem.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
This issue was on the NY Times today if I am not mistaken, East Harlem is a sad place. My dad went to CCNY, Harlem used to be even worse back in the day in the 70s and 80s but that area is still horrible.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
This issue was on the NY Times today if I am not mistaken, East Harlem is a sad place. My dad went to CCNY, Harlem used to be even worse back in the day in the 70s and 80s but that area is still horrible.
The area around City College isn't horrible.
And it is definitely better than East Harlem.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The area around City College isn't horrible.
And it is definitely better than East Harlem.
I know but its still not great but I agree its way better than East Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City