Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why do you even live here?
i was born here. lived here until i went away to college. came back for a year, left for 4 more years, worked and lived in RI while the crack epidemic burnt out in NYC.

when i came back to NYC, I was 26, had 5 years of industry work experience, got a job transfer, and was able to buy a co-op apartment with my own savings and downpayment.

i think i was paying about $700/mo. my apt was great, in a good, safe neighborhood.

i joined a ski club, biked, and hung out with my friends a bit, traveled, but my life didn't evolve around entertainment as it seems to in the NYC of today.

perhaps to you, i may appear to be snubbing their lifestyle but, honestly, i don't understand it and i'm looking for answers to some simple questions.

i answered yours ... how about answering mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Okay but my post is still open to discussion IMO. I'm very curious about why they come. Maybe suburban/small city life is boring to some. Maybe they're interested in diversity? Maybe they like skateboarding and biking everywhere ;-)

Not being facetious -- I am really very curious -- especially how this lifestyle is paid for when it's ridiculously expensive here.
Wait. Is this a serious question? Why people come to a city that is world renowned, has exiting night life, great restaurants, great cultural institutions and is a hub for several high paying or glamorous industries... Yeah I cant imagine why people would move here

On a side note, my friend, also from Ohio, moved here because of industry specific work. She works in TV.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
i was born here. lived here until i went away to college. came back for a year, left for 4 more years, worked and lived in RI while the crack epidemic burnt out in NYC.

when i came back to NYC, I was 26, had 5 years of industry work experience, got a job transfer, and was able to buy a co-op apartment with my own savings and downpayment.

i think i was paying about $700/mo. my apt was great, in a good, safe neighborhood.

i joined a ski club, biked, and hung out with my friends a bit, traveled, but my life didn't evolve around entertainment as it seems to in the NYC of today.

perhaps to you, i may appear to be snubbing their lifestyle but, honestly, i don't understand it and i'm looking for answers to some simple questions.

i answered yours ... how about answering mine?
I repeat with a little bit more clarity...why do you even live here, now?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I repeat with a little bit more clarity...why do you even live here, now?
I am based here now because I had deep familial roots and employment over the course of several years. Now, I'm not so excited about living here anymore. Family is gone and I can base my work from anywhere. For the past 4 months I was living in Florida but it's not for me. Still searching.

Why do you live here?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Greenpoint is really nice also. there are great places to ride a bike along Kent To Franklin then up Ash......It is always fun to explore.
i ride my bike down in Williamsburg and Greenpoint, and make new discoveries all the time.
i do like greenpoint a lot however.

I really like greenpoint. I wanted to live more in greenpoint propper but I found the commute using the G train to be annoying.

I am excited to explore my new area. I have a bunch of places written down to try off of various train stops.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wait. Is this a serious question? Why people come to a city that is world renowned, has exiting night life, great restaurants, great cultural institutions and is a hub for several high paying or glamorous industries... Yeah I cant imagine why people would move here

On a side note, my friend, also from Ohio, moved here because of industry specific work. She works in TV.

If night life and culture is one's thing, then this is the place but everyone who comes here isn't in a high paying, glamorous industry job. How do they afford it?

I have met quite a few "interns" who get no pay, administrative assistants, clerks, etc.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheem_nyc View Post
Clearly she been watching a lot of Hollywood movies/sitcom that was New York City based and assume the life style is similar to real life. my assumptions always come to that, when people from the Midwest think about moving to NYC. I know these group of hipsters from the Midwest, who chose to move to Bedstuy Brooklyn because they wanted to get a dose of rap culture.

Well considering I loved here almost 6 years ago I would say you assumptions are wrong. I am not a hipster really. Just a normal girl who came here for school and stayed.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Well considering I loved here almost 6 years ago I would say you assumptions are wrong. I am not a hipster really. Just a normal girl who came here for school and stayed.
You're one of the fortunate ones. Enjoy
Where did you move to Brooklyn from?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:57 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
For ambitious people in any number of industries, e.g., media, publishing, theater, art, music, fashion, finance, corporate law, etc., NYC is the only place. I don't want to reduce it to that alone because of course there is a lot else about the city that draws people, but career ambition plays a role, even if people find it tacky to talk about it overtly.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Everyone who comes here isn't in a high paying, glamorous industry job. How do they afford it?
NYC is the hub for several industries. People go to where there are JOBS. You get a college degree you want to settle in an area that has many companies to work for. The bigger the city, the more companies there are to work for and the more jobs available. It's pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City