Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 PM

51 posts, read 311,585 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well I finally made the decision to make the move to NYC late next year. I was being choosey between NYC, Charlotte NC and ATl but in the end, I think NYC is the better fit for me.

In any case, I'm iffy about where to stay there. While I've never visited NYC as a tourist (I have friends up there and usually hang out with them whenever I go up there), I'm not 100% sure about the neighborhoods either. I'm seeking the advice of the peopel that know the city best.

First and foremost, I'm telling you now... I'm sure I won't be able to afford anything south of 96th Street in Manahttan for awhile. I'm a 27-yr old working IT professional. I'm expecting to be making in the 60s or 70s when i first get up there (going off of what I make right now). What areas do you think I will be able to afford, or will be suitable for me? It doesn't have to be the SAFEST OF THE SAFEST of neighborhoods, but of course safety is always nice. I grew up and spent a great amount of time in the "less safer" neighborhoods of Washington DC, so I'm pretty street smart and I'm not afraid of being in certain areas. However, I don't want to live in the complete gutter either.

Even though I don't know much about the other burroughs (I've spent very minimal time in Brooklyn and the Bronx and I've never even been to Queens), I'd like to hear more about them. the only areas of the Bronx I've been to is the area around yankee stadium (didn't seem bad) and the area Jennifer Lopez grew up in (my best friend is a huge fan of hers and wanted to see her house ). The only area of Brooklyn i've been to was around Prospect Park near a movie theater (if that helps anyone out) and Coney Island (YUCK). I'm not opposed to living outside of Manhattan as long as the area is relatively decent and the commute isn't so bad to Manhattan (south of Central Park) on the subway (I'm talking 20-30 mins).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading articles and such, but like I said, it would be great to hear form the people themselves that know the city. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
What is your rent budget? Are you willing to get a roommate? Do you have a job lined up, and if so, where geographically? If you don't have a job lined up, how much do you have in savings?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 PM

My rent budget is about $1500 (or less of course). I wouldn't rule roommates out completely as long as we have plenty space to share between us. But of course living by myself is MUCH better.

I don't have a job lined up YET but I have a couple contacts in the area. Ideally the job I obtain will be in midtown Manhattan.... I can deal with downtown as well but whatever...basiclaly anything south of Central Park.

Savings... well..... only a couple thousand for right now....

Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,197 times
I hate to say but if you don't get a job right away - and how would you know that? - you'd better have way more than a couple thousand.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Like I said before, I'm not moving up there in the next couple months. My plan is to go up there a little less than a year from now.In between that time, trust me when I say I will be actively searching.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
The job is going to be a very important factor, unless you have a years rent saved up.

Most landlords are going to want to verify your employment and salary before they rent to you. The job market in NYC is actually very competitive, especially in IT. Do you have anyone you could stay with locally while you job hunt?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The job is going to be a very important factor, unless you have a years rent saved up.

Most landlords are going to want to verify your employment and salary before they rent to you. The job market in NYC is actually very competitive, especially in IT. Do you have anyone you could stay with locally while you job hunt?
Yeah I have a couple friends up there.... but their apts are as big as my bedroom in my apt in the DC area. My closest friend up there lives in East Harlem which I've read is oen of the worst areas of the city. I actually don't think its THAT bad (and yes ive walked around there at 3am alone) but then again... I grew up around stuff liike that.

I was actually planning on having the job already before I moved up there so I wouldnt have to stay with anyone....

Old 12-19-2007, 05:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
In Brooklyn, try Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, South Slope, Greenpoint and possibly Clinton Hill (though realtors love to confuse Bed Stuy with Clinton Hill).

For Queens, I think you would like Astoria.

Just my gut feeling from what you wrote. There are plenty of other neighborhoods as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Your proposed salary of $60 to $70k is right in line with your rental budget of $1500--that's what most brokers would say you can afford, thus meaning you will have to prove your income. Here's the problem you are going to run into when trying to rent an apartment through an owner (rare) or a broker (super common): You will need 2 full years of the $60-$70k income to be approved for the apartment. If you don't, your options are a) paying the full year's rent (sounds ridiculous but is common in NYC), b) getting a guarantor for the apartment (co-signer)--and sadly, they must earn 100 times the rent of the apartment per year ($150k in the "$1500" rent example) c) having around $15k to $20k+ in the bank and you must be able to prove it. Also, you need good credit (620 or higher usually), a landlord recommendation letter, tax returns (depends on the broker/owner) for the past 2 years, and the letter from your new employer.

I'd recommend Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Ridgewood, Astoria, Long Island City, Brooklyn Heights, or Park Slope in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn & Queens). As for the Bronx, Riverdale or near Fordham/Little Italy area. In Manhattan, you will be able to find an apartment in that budget in Inwood/Washington Heights and potentially East Harlem areas. You may get lucky and you may be able to find an apartment for $1500 (studio) in the East Village/Alphabet City/Lower East Side. IF you hunt really hardcore.

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Just curious - why Ridgewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City