Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
So, what, they're driving across the bridge and they decide, "Hey, maybe I should jump off"?

I can see jumping out of a window on impulse. But a bridge?
Lol, no. They're already depressed and decide that day to jump. But if something interferes with that plan, they often don't have plan B. Or bridge B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I was going to post ACE HARDWARE, but they charge too much. Just because you have only a few hours to live is no reason to waste money?

Clerk: "And can I help you with something"

Customer sadly: "Some cheap wire cutters that can quickly get me though the fence surrounding the George Washington Bridge...an 18 inch cut should do the trick"

Clerk: "May I suggest that most of our customers have switched to the Brooklyn Bridge or for a really nice dive, the Verrazano. With the tide going out, they'll never find the body so it cuts down on funeral expenses, especially if you fill your pockets with rolls of pennies. But if you REALLY want to save time we have a special on this pneumatic nail gun and we can rent you the compressor for just an hour."

An analogy for preventing jumping from a single bridge: "A study found that most people slash their throats with 10 inch chef knives, so that size will be banned to save lives." Silly isn't it?
Yes, of course it is, but you've got the political factor here. The public has been whining for years now for authorities to put fences on the bridges so people don't jump, right? Now the PA can say they're putting a fence on their most-popular bridge for suicides. What're the MTA and city gonna do? There's competition for public perception involved.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:

The public has been whining for years now for authorities to put fences on
the bridges so people don't jump, right?
I have never heard, seen, or read a single whine from any member of the public about the need to fence in our bridges. Some police-state types, aka politicians, seem to have the feeling that anything without a fence is somehow immoral.
Since when has "the public" had it's will followed about ANYTHING in the last 4 decades?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
This was inevitable, but it's a damn shame since that was one of the last great unobstructed bridge views in the city.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
So, who will put up the first thread about the multi-year traffic tie-up on the GWB for the fence installation. Much more convenient to have 1000 jumpers.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
So, who will put up the first thread about the multi-year traffic tie-up on the GWB for the fence installation. Much more convenient to have 1000 jumpers.
what a silly comment

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I have never heard, seen, or read a single whine from any member of the public about the need to fence in our bridges. Some police-state types, aka politicians, seem to have the feeling that anything without a fence is somehow immoral.
Since when has "the public" had it's will followed about ANYTHING in the last 4 decades?
I've seen it frequently on newspaper websites in the comments sections after the article about bridge suicides. "Why don't they put up a fence?" "Why don't they put up a fence?" And the public also asks that question when there are new bridge projects, not just here but all over the country. It definitely is a common concern.

It's got nothing to do with the public's will really. It's got to do with politicians wanting to get re-elected and so making a show of listening to their constituents to accomplish that goal. That's pretty much what politicians DO, isn't it?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
This was inevitable, but it's a damn shame since that was one of the last great unobstructed bridge views in the city.
I love the view from the GWB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City