Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on this? Apparently they are putting these up do to a lot of people jumping off to commit suicide. This year so far 13 people have jumped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
What is your opinion on this? Apparently they are putting these up do to a lot of people jumping off to commit suicide. This year so far 13 people have jumped off.
What type of opinion would you like people to have?

"No, people should have the right to jump off the bridge....?"

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
I guess my opinion is why wasn't there one already? I always wondered that.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
I think they should be free to jump off the bridge because jumping in front of trains and jumping out of windows onto the street is a danger to others,traumatizes witnesses and creates major inconvenience for other subway riders.Jumping off a bridge is much more considerate of others.

DoomDan,are you sure that's why they are putting up barriers? I saw on TV that they are about to undertake a major reconstruction/redesign of the GW and wonder if it doesn't have something to do with that.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think they should be free to jump off the bridge because jumping in front of trains and jumping out of windows onto the street is a danger to others,traumatizes witnesses and creates major inconvenience for other subway riders.Jumping off a bridge is much more considerate of others.

DoomDan,are you sure that's why they are putting up barriers? I saw on TV that they are about to undertake a major reconstruction/redesign of the GW and wonder if it doesn't have something to do with that.
I'm pretty much just going by what I heard on the news today. I agree that if someone really wanted to end their life, jumping off a bridge is more considerate. If you prevent them from doing that, they'll simply find another way to do it.

However, I think the barriers are still good. What if you're riding your bike on the bridge and almost fall off?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
I was thinking that if the barrier was high enough and blocked the view of the water I might ride a bike on there. On second thought however, probably not cos of the ramps to get on the bridge are too high off the ground

Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Put 50,000 volts through the barrier and have a trap door leading to a morgue. People can still commit suicide but without disrupting traffic.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

They still give NYPD the trouble of having to go to the bridge. Whatever happened to running the car in the garage with a garden hose to the exhaust pipe, or a whole bottle of Tylenol? Do it in your own house.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They still give NYPD the trouble of having to go to the bridge. Whatever happened to running the car in the garage with a garden hose to the exhaust pipe, or a whole bottle of Tylenol? Do it in your own house.
The bridge is patrolled by the port authority police department. If anything NYPD helicopters and dive teams look for bodies.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The bridge is patrolled by the port authority police department. If anything NYPD helicopters and dive teams look for bodies.
So why waste their time? Do it in your house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City