Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 04:53 PM

211 posts, read 519,614 times

Advertisements

I've been on the ferry many times, and have visited friends before in SI (mainly in Sunnyside and Todt Hill) and sorta know my way around being someone from Manhattan. My only problem is, I know St. George (Downtown) is surrounded by bad neighborhoods (New Brighton, Castleton, etc). Also whenever I get off the ferry and take a glance at Downtown SI it just seems extremely seedy and grim, not sure why. I've passed through St. George, but when I get off the terminal I just immediatly get on the bus and end of story. Anyway I hope some Staten Islanders can give me some input on the safeness of a teen walking around the St. George area (like around Bay Street, Wall, and a few other streets around Borough Hall.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
I've been on the ferry many times, and have visited friends before in SI (mainly in Sunnyside and Todt Hill) and sorta know my way around being someone from Manhattan. My only problem is, I know St. George (Downtown) is surrounded by bad neighborhoods (New Brighton, Castleton, etc). Also whenever I get off the ferry and take a glance at Downtown SI it just seems extremely seedy and grim, not sure why. I've passed through St. George, but when I get off the terminal I just immediatly get on the bus and end of story. Anyway I hope some Staten Islanders can give me some input on the safeness of a teen walking around the St. George area (like around Bay Street, Wall, and a few other streets around Borough Hall.

Thanks
You'll have few if any problems walking around Saint George during daylight or even early evening hours long as you keep the usual precautions for NYC in mind. Yes, there is crime and or some bad areas but SI actually has the lowest overall crime rate in the City. Indeed you probably could walk from the Ferry to Sung Harbor ( and back) without issues. This includes passing Jersey Street and their infamous projects.

Just "maintain" and go about your business. Do not act like Opie from the Hicks. keep your valuables hidden and so forth. Also remember there is safety in numbers, so perhaps bring along a friend or two to ride (or walk in this case) shotgun.

It would also help if you have some sort of idea where you are going and or what you want to see. Wandering aimlessly around is a recipe for disaster, so hit a few websites and or other sources of information and make a plan.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You'll have few if any problems walking around Saint George during daylight or even early evening hours long as you keep the usual precautions for NYC in mind. Yes, there is crime and or some bad areas but SI actually has the lowest overall crime rate in the City. Indeed you probably could walk from the Ferry to Sung Harbor ( and back) without issues. This includes passing Jersey Street and their infamous projects.

Just "maintain" and go about your business. Do not act like Opie from the Hicks. keep your valuables hidden and so forth. Also remember there is safety in numbers, so perhaps bring along a friend or two to ride (or walk in this case) shotgun.

It would also help if you have some sort of idea where you are going and or what you want to see. Wandering aimlessly around is a recipe for disaster, so hit a few websites and or other sources of information and make a plan.
I really do appreciate this. Also I've never even heard of Sung Harbor, but I definitely wanna see it. I also wanna visit the Staten Island Zoo too. I've been to the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, and the Queens Zoo except the SI Zoo and I think it's worth seeing. Besides, I could just take the bus from the terminal to these places. Also in Downtown Staten Island, all I really wanna do is walk on Bay Street Landing (if you are even allowed to do that), and walk a little bit at the North Shore Esplanade. Also do you have any idea where I could see the old homes of St. George? I mean like what streets. Thanks again

Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I've done it into the area a bilt South of the ferry. Not sure of the name but it was where all the sailors had rooming houses.
It was an interesting walk and we were never fearful for a moment.
But the neverending hills were a pain in the ass.

I recommend instead, catching the LIRT (?) right in the ferry station, Metrocard works, and riding to the last stop and walking around Tottenville. A bit like going back 100 years. I was looking for someone wearing wooden shoes. The streets are nearly empty midday and the old wooden houses, some restored Victorians some derelict, are interesting.
Like a Twilight Zone episode: "Last Stop Willoughby."

Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I've done it into the area a bilt South of the ferry. Not sure of the name but it was where all the sailors had rooming houses.

I recommend instead, catching the LIRT (?) right in the ferry station, Metrocard works, and riding to the last stop and walking around Tottenville. A bit like going back 100 years. I was looking for someone wearing wooden shoes. The streets are nearly empty midday and the old wooden houses, some restored Victorians some derelict, are interesting.
This is what I've wanted to do for a few years, and when I was younger and I'd be on the bus when I was like 11 and 12 we'd always pass Tompkinsville and I always thought it was very quaint. I've never understood why investors haven't put their money into Downtown SI and Tompkinsville, there is so much potential especially because it is in walking distance to the ferry, so many buses to the rest of the Island, right by the SI railroad, and it overlooks Lower Manhattan. Someday, I bet you Downtown SI will be a developed modern young, and hip area.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

That would be "Snug Harbor". On Richmond Terrace near Bard Avenue in West Brighton.

Yeah, we do love our hills on the Rock. Makes for great bike riding though!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
I really do appreciate this. Also I've never even heard of Sung Harbor, but I definitely wanna see it. I also wanna visit the Staten Island Zoo too. I've been to the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, and the Queens Zoo except the SI Zoo and I think it's worth seeing. Besides, I could just take the bus from the terminal to these places. Also in Downtown Staten Island, all I really wanna do is walk on Bay Street Landing (if you are even allowed to do that), and walk a little bit at the North Shore Esplanade. Also do you have any idea where I could see the old homes of St. George? I mean like what streets. Thanks again
Cannot remember if Bay Street Landing is open to the public or just residents. Assume you mean the walkway between the Ferry and complex.

Anyway unless things have changed you might not want to go down there anyway: Violent robbers on prowl along Staten Island's waterfront esplanade | SILive.com

Forgotten NY has run some interesting tours of the North Shore in the past. You might want to see if more are planned in future.

St. George | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Staten Island | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old homes? Yes the North Shore has tons of them this includes Saint George, Stapleton and Rosebank.

If you just want to get your toes wet simply walk up the hill to Saint Mark's Place and walk around.

ForgottenTour 44, St. George/New Brighton, Staten Island | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

If you are serious about this I'd either go now before school begins (Curtis High School students can be a handful), and or on a weekend during the school year when the students won't be around.

As one said just "maintain" and you should be fine. Go with a friend or two and don't flash you phone, camera and so forth. If you see some sketchy individuals cross the street or turn back. Go with what the little voice inside of you says.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 PM

107 posts, read 198,503 times
This is the first time I've ever heard of St. George as "downtown." There's nothing town-like about it, and it's certainly not "down" with anything. As for your teenager in questions, they will be fine. St. George is intensely boring except for the odd murder of innocent black men selling unlicensed cigarettes.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Well, for starters, there's no neighborhood called Castleton. There's Castleton Corners, which is a nice area a few miles from the ferry, and there's Castleton Avenue, which has a rough section that's also a few miles from the ferry (well, except for Castleton & Jersey).

In any case, during the day, I'd say St. George is fine. The Fort Hill section (around Fort Hill Circle) has a lot of nice houses. As far as areas to avoid wandering into, once you hit Westervelt Avenue, if you're coming from a side street, I would turn back, because then you start getting near the Jersey Street area. (The exception would be if you're along Victory Blvd or Richmond Terrace, which are main streets). Going south along Bay Street, I wouldn't go past the park by Victory Blvd. (A few blocks further down, around Grant Street or so, is the border between Tompkinsville and Stapleton, and there's nothing to see between Victory & Grant anyway).

Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of St. George as "downtown." There's nothing town-like about it, and it's certainly not "down" with anything. As for your teenager in questions, they will be fine. St. George is intensely boring except for the odd murder of innocent black men selling unlicensed cigarettes.
Well as one who was born and raised on the Rock, Saint George was as close to a "downtown" as Staten Island had, aside from perhaps main shopping drag along Richmond Avenue.

Besides the Ferry not only was the seat of SI government in Saint George but so was many offices of NYC municipal government (courts, social services, etc...). Brooklyn Union Gas had their offices on Bay Street. Richmond College (later College of Staten Island) had a campus on Saint Mark's Place. Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera.

When Staten Island was a much more rural place Saint George was where you went to get most anything done. There were also plenty of bars, restaurants and other things. From Victory to Richmond Terrace. Bay Street to Saint Mark's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City