Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You might be able to get a rent-stabilized studio apt. in Rego Park, Queens for $1000 a month along the R train which goes to Times Square (which is the same stop as the Port Authority).
I suggested looking for a stabilized apartment - another poster convinced the OP that this is "subsidized housing" and s/he is not interested in that.

I decided not to elaborate, so much explaining and there would just be all of this responding and insane babble from the other ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
there are SO MANY studios for 1k in brooklyn in safe areas. you may pay 1100 for a nicer one but no more. i am surprised you can't find anything. flatbush? lmao. yeah, luh. mao. he can get studios in midwood, sheepshead bay, marine park, gravesend neck. those areas are far safer than flatbush or other ghetto places. if you're gonna pay rent, you shouldn't be living near ghetto govt.-paid-for housing projects. the working class blacks leave those ghettos as do the hispanics and join the lower to middle middle class in these areas i mentioned.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 43,415 times
I know what a rent stabilized apartment is. I didn't think they had them anymore, or they were really hard to find. Ok so I looked on Craigslist now and found one for $925.00 a month in East Flatbush with "first month rent free". Of course it sounded to good to be true, and also the realty company that was listed in the ad is nowhere to be found on Google. That's not a good sign.
Truth is, over $900.00 is stretching it for me. I would have no extra money for traveling or saving.
I've already considered sharing housing in Jersey, I have seen some pretty good deals in Weehawken and Union City with faster commutes than my current Brooklyn pad.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
have you considered Kinsgbridge in The Bronx? I have a studio not far from K'bridge and pay what you want to be paying. you said you wanted to take a bus cos you work near the PABT. the #1 train could get you there in the time you specified and there are also express buses than stop at 230th and Broadway(the W Side express buses stop at 7th and 42nd I think). Not Kingsbridge near the Gr Concourse but W Kingsbridge along Broadway

Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 PM

I was only talking about the bus if I lived in Jersey. If I stay in NYC I would definitely still be taking the trains.
I have never considered the Bronx, ever. Then again I have never been there.
I will look into it.
What areas should I avoid at all costs?
South Bronx?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Northern NJ

Look into West New York and North Bergen

Many of studios under $1000

Buses to port authority every 20 mins.

Bergenline ave is the main strip

safe neighborhoods....hispanic dominated

Old 08-03-2014, 04:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
you could also take the 9 bus to 228th street and transfer to the 7 or 20 bus to the A train terminal at 207th street. from there youd take the A to 42 street

Kingsbridge doesn't carry the "Bronx" dubious reputation. for the most part its a family oriented uneventful area

since you want to be aligned with the Port Authority area (ie straight north-south route) any parts of The Bronx that are farther east, even if in a nice area, will mean added commute time

since you say youre not familiar with The Bronx, i could not imagine that youd be content with any but these following areas:

Riverdale, Kingsbridge, parts of Norwood, Bedford Park. Woodlawn, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay, Pelham Pkwy

Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromGowanus View Post
But isn't it just a matter of time before those other neighborhoods get overpriced as well?
Where are all the people who make less than $50,000.00 a year and have lived for over a decade in NYC moving to?
You could be dead and or the world come to an end in "a matter of time". Take the other poster's advice and deal with things on the ground as they are now and not worry about the distant future. After you find a place and the immediate crisis is over you can then take your time and look at the long haul.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromGowanus View Post
I was only talking about the bus if I lived in Jersey. If I stay in NYC I would definitely still be taking the trains.
I have never considered the Bronx, ever. Then again I have never been there.
I will look into it.
What areas should I avoid at all costs?
South Bronx?
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure your current apartment isn't rent-stabilized? If you live in an older building with six or more units, it may well be. You should call DHCR and find out.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:21 PM

Its a three story place. My apartment is on the bottom floor in back of a Pizza place that is in the storefront. The top 2 floors have 1 apt each (only 1 door on each floor), although I know they each have 3 bedroom's I think and get rented out by the one lease holder that is on each floor.

Is it just a matter of calling the DHCR and giving them the address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City