Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 AM

47 posts, read 68,046 times

Advertisements

Do they have unemployment rates for Hispanics/Whites/Asians in the same areas? If so can someone link it. Why only report AA's instead of all races

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwamemack View Post
Do they have unemployment rates for Hispanics/Whites/Asians in the same areas? If so can someone link it. Why only report AA's instead of all races
The thread is about AA men and unemployment in NYC. The rate for AA men is much higher than all other groups. The only group that is running close is Newyorican men.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The thread is about AA men and unemployment in NYC. The rate for AA men is much higher than all other groups. The only group that is running close is Newyorican men.
No, the thread has moved on beyond unemployment in NYC and AA men.

If you talk about the rates of poverty among Blacks nationally, a big part of it is many (including NYC) work in low wage jobs. Just as 20% of low wage temps are Blacks (both male and female, immigrant and US born are included in this states) so are 20% of low wage temps Latino (of all races, disproportionate as well). Of course there are many low wage white temps as well, it's just that Blacks and Latinos have disproportionately high numbers in that category.

That suggests the advice given to AA men on this forum (go to school and get an education) will not work out for the vast majority of them. If the vast majority of AA men in NYC got bachelor degrees it would still be back to temp jobs at warehouses, retail, etc. It'd take structural changes in the economy to change the plight of working class people, something this forum does not want to deal with.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwamemack View Post
"Parrott also noted that the reported decline in New York City's unemployment rate in November to 10.0 percent (seasonally adjusted) from 10.3 percent in October did not signal an improvement in the local job market. A closer look at the data shows that this decline was entirely due to people leaving the labor force, rather than an increase in the number of jobs.
The FPI report found that the citywide unemployment rate in the third quarter was 15.7 percent for blacks, 11.8 percent for Hispanics, 7.3 percent for white non-Hispanics, and 6.1 percent for the Asian and other category. Unemployment was higher for men (11.0 percent) than for women (9.1 percent).
The highest rates of unemployment were for blacks, particularly black men. In ten of the 24 neighborhoods identified in the report, black non-Hispanic unemployment was over 15 percent - one and a half times greater than the city's overall unemployment rate. For black men, the official city-wide unemployment rate for the third quarter was 19.9 percent."

First Ever NYC Unemployment Estimates By Neighborhood And Race/Ethnici...

So there's the unemployment rates among all races.

"New York - Huge variations underlie the unemployment situation in New York City, according to a new study by the Fiscal Policy Institute (FPI).
The institute estimates that unemployment was 5.1 percent on Manhattan's Upper East and West Sides in the third quarter, compared to 15.7 percent in the South and Central Bronx and 19.2 percent in Brooklyn's East New York neighborhood.
The overall unemployment rate in New York City was 10.1 percent in the third quarter of 2009."

This is old, but this is still telling of even more information. If you're a Black person who remains among other poor Blacks, you'll likely remain unemployed and poor because you're living in a place like East New York and marginalized from the rest of society.

But believe it or not, there are Blacks living in wealthier areas and those who live, work, go to school or socialize in wealthier areas tend to have better contacts and social networks than people who live in poor areas. People living far from the main centers of wealth and surrounded by NYCHA's tend to remain poor unless they make major lifestyle changes and get out of those dumps.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM

Those stats did something else interesting by breaking down the unemployment rate by race and by neighborhood.

East New York, long one of the city's worst neighborhoods, has the WORST unemployment rate! Duh! Blacks who could afford it have long bailed out, leaving poor people, criminals, and the like.

Yet some people want to take ENY and declare that ENY is representative of all Blacks in the nation if not all Blacks in the world!

There's no mention that there are Blacks who live in better neighborhoods (with lower unemployment rates) and low and behold there are many Blacks who do not live in Black majority neighborhoods (and these neighborhoods have lower unemployment rates). No, all Blacks in the US live in Brownsville and ENY and whatever the condition of Blacks in those neighborhoods is the condition of Blacks everywhere. Obviously that's pure bull****.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, what is this the point of this desperate rant?

Show me statistical evidence or proof that AAs interact with Caribbean people more than they do people of other races or ethnic origins or move on.
Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US - Page 8 of 10 - Atlanta Blackstar

NYC is the 3rd most racially segregated city in the USA. so whether AAs and West Indians wish to interact or not they are forced to do so. Living in the same communities means that they face the same problems and so will collaborate to resolve them. It also means that the second generation Caribbean blacks, and even more so the third generation Caribbean blacks, will be highly impacted by AAs. This because AAs are the dominant black group in the USA.

Whereas Africans (and to some degree Haitians) have radically different cultures, when compared to AAs, this is not the case with West Indians and AAs. Remove the Caribbean accent, and reduce the taste for Caribbean music and food and you will not see a radical difference. Indeed they even share the SAME names, so there again distinction gone. Turns out that they were LITERALLY enslaved by the same people as both Jefferson and Washington had slave owning relatives in the British West Indian colonies.

Malcolm X, icon for a certain segment of the AA community....GRENADIAN mother, and his AA father was very active in the Marcus Garvey movement.

Constance Baker Motley. First AFRICAN AMERICAN federal judge, she is often described. VERY involved in the Civil Rights movement. NEVIS BORN parents.

Eric Holder. Who cares that his parents are Bajan? As far as most AAs are concerned he is black. Cicely Tyson, regarded as a talent BLACK actress. And I can go on. Do you think that AAs reject them because they have Caribbean born parents? Billo Thompson, yet another example. And there are reall;y too many.

Publisher and owner of Black Enterprise. Bajan parents, yet I have never seen any one describe that magazine as Caribbean.

Even urban black culture. Hip hop and Caribbean blacks were there from the beginning, as indeed wedre Puerto Ricans, except that PRs LOOK different (usually) and almost always have different last names, so that people know that they arent AA. US born West Indian blacks......few AAs know who they are.

Writer you harbor animosity towards West Indians. I mean look how long you rage on this topic. You dont like them, while other AAs are more indifferent, and just accept them as fellow blacks. You seem to have issues in accepting that fact.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US - Page 8 of 10 - Atlanta Blackstar

NYC is the 3rd most racially segregated city in the USA. so whether AAs and West Indians wish to interact or not they are forced to do so. Living in the same communities means that they face the same problems and so will collaborate to resolve them. It also means that the second generation Caribbean blacks, and even more so the third generation Caribbean blacks, will be highly impacted by AAs. This because AAs are the dominant black group in the USA.

Whereas Africans (and to some degree Haitians) have radically different cultures, when compared to AAs, this is not the case with West Indians and AAs. Remove the Caribbean accent, and reduce the taste for Caribbean music and food and you will not see a radical difference. Indeed they even share the SAME names, so there again distinction gone. Turns out that they were LITERALLY enslaved by the same people as both Jefferson and Washington had slave owning relatives in the British West Indian colonies.

Malcolm X, icon for a certain segment of the AA community....GRENADIAN mother, and his AA father was very active in the Marcus Garvey movement.

Constance Baker Motley. First AFRICAN AMERICAN federal judge, she is often described. VERY involved in the Civil Rights movement. NEVIS BORN parents.

Eric Holder. Who cares that his parents are Bajan? As far as most AAs are concerned he is black. Cicely Tyson, regarded as a talent BLACK actress. And I can go on. Do you think that AAs reject them because they have Caribbean born parents? Billo Thompson, yet another example. And there are reall;y too many.

Publisher and owner of Black Enterprise. Bajan parents, yet I have never seen any one describe that magazine as Caribbean.

Even urban black culture. Hip hop and Caribbean blacks were there from the beginning, as indeed wedre Puerto Ricans, except that PRs LOOK different (usually) and almost always have different last names, so that people know that they arent AA. US born West Indian blacks......few AAs know who they are.

Writer you harbor animosity towards West Indians. I mean look how long you rage on this topic. You dont like them, while other AAs are more indifferent, and just accept them as fellow blacks. You seem to have issues in accepting that fact.
Where have I said West Indians are not Black? I said no such thing.

I said that AAs are no more linked to West Indians than they are any other racial/ethnic group.

The article you presented from Atlanta actually didn't delve into NYC that much at all. Then again what would an Atlanta based publication really know about New York.

The poorest Blacks are concentrated in places like Brownsville and East New York. And yes, THOSE blacks (in the Blackest parts of NYC) rarely interact with non Blacks.

However, not all Blacks in NYC live in Black majority neighborhoods. I live in Manhattan now, and I am originally from Central Queens (also not Black majority).

What your article didn't give stats on (because it's not of interest to the writer or the publication) is what percentage of Blacks in NYC live in non Black majority neighborhoods.

The article you presented is anecdotal (cherry picked) evidence!

It also does not display how many Blacks work at jobs or go to school where they have significant non Black exposure.

Btw, if it's any consolation, CaribNY, I don't have a preference for other AA's either. It's actually not how I think The majority of combination AA/West Indian neighborhoods you cherish so are the neighborhoods with the highest murder rate in the city and the highest unemployment rates in the city. Certain parts of Brooklyn and certain parts of the North Bronx. No, that's not all Blacks in the city (certain parts of Eastern Queens are nice) and not all Blacks in the city live in Black neighborhoods, something you refuse to acknowledge.

And for the record, when Blacks have the money and/or the opportunnity to do so (and I am no different) nobody lives in a Black majority neighborhood. Even in NYC when people move up socioeconomically, they move to nicer, more affluent neighborhoods. Not Northeast Brooklyn and not the North Bronx.

I'm going to be honest. It's true that there are a lot of issues among poor people of all races and it's true poverty hits people of all races. There's a high rate of single motherhood among many different groups these days.

However, when it comes to crime, the worst neighborhoods are the AA/West Indian combo neighborhoods, and ANY Black person with the ability to bail out of these neighborhoods does so. These are the neighborhoods with lots of hoods, thugs, and addicts. The Hispanic neighborhoods, even the ones with many Afro Latinos are not as bad (Washington Heights is no East New York or Wakefield) in terms of violent crime or poverty. The Asian and Hispanic neighborhoods will have issues with prostitution and drugs (I grew up in Central Queens which is heavily Asian and Hispanic) but they have nowhere near the violent crime of the neighborhoods that CaribNY LOVES so much. And yes CaribNY, because I'm not a fan of such scummy people I want NOTHING to do with this FILTH.

So save your Black unity nonsense for the hoods just released from prison, after all, they specialize in that nonsensical talk.

Now, lest I be accused of going back on what I said, I stand by my point, AAs are no more connected to West Indians than they are many other racial groups. East New York, Wakefield, etc have a lot of people on government programs and in housing projects (Some of whom are AA and others are first or second generation Americans from the Caribbean), and the poorest immigrants live in these places long term, along with the project people. In short, they can't afford to live anywhere nicer. There's no unique bond there, just a group of poor people who can't leave.

AAs with more money bailed out to the South, to the suburbs, or better neighborhoods in NYC proper itself!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM

For the record, East New York and Wakefield do not represent all Blacks in the nation. Just pointing out so people don't say the extreme pathologies in these places are this bad for Blacks everywhere. Not all Blacks live in these ghettoes and not all Blacks live in all Black or close to all Black neighborhoods, not even in NYC.

There are many Blacks, even in NYC that work and go to school with non Blacks, and that marry non Blacks. CaribNY hates this because of some deranged AfroUnity nonsense.

17% of Blacks nationally marry non Blacks, and this is a threat to CaribNY's identity politics.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:

And for the record, when Blacks have the money and/or the opportunnity to do so (and I am no different) nobody lives in a Black majority neighborhood. Even in NYC when people move up socioeconomically, they move to nicer, more affluent neighborhoods. Not Northeast Brooklyn and not the North Bronx.

I'm going to be honest. It's true that there are a lot of issues among poor people of all races and it's true poverty hits people of all races. There's a high rate of single motherhood among many different groups these days.
What I'm reading is appears to be a generalization and is very opinionated. You're right about people moving up economically, they move to better areas but I'm certain majority black neighborhoods of Harlem and Bed-Stuy generally have a number of blacks who are more economically affluent and educated than the rest. To say this, there are affluent black people who do live around other black people. Just maybe not blacks in your social circles.

Quote:
For the record, East New York and Wakefield do not represent all Blacks in the nation. Just pointing out so people don't say the extreme pathologies in these places are this bad for Blacks everywhere. Not all Blacks live in these ghettoes and not all Blacks live in all Black or close to all Black neighborhoods, not even in NYC.
Ok this is true but a large segment of black poverty in the US is concentrated in urban centers. White poverty is concentrated for the most part in rural areas. I'm talking on average nationwide.

Quote:
However, when it comes to crime, the worst neighborhoods are the AA/West Indian combo neighborhoods, and ANY Black person with the ability to bail out of these neighborhoods does so. These are the neighborhoods with lots of hoods, thugs, and addicts. The Hispanic neighborhoods, even the ones with many Afro Latinos are not as bad (Washington Heights is no East New York or Wakefield) in terms of violent crime or poverty. The Asian and Hispanic neighborhoods will have issues with prostitution and drugs (I grew up in Central Queens which is heavily Asian and Hispanic) but they have nowhere near the violent crime of the neighborhoods that CaribNY LOVES so much. And yes CaribNY, because I'm not a fan of such scummy people I want NOTHING to do with this FILTH.
Is Wakefield truly on par with East New York in terms of violent crime and poverty? I know white plains road is really bad but I don't think thats descriptive of the entire area.

These people may not have advanced economically or academically as you, but not everyone in these neighborhoods is filth or scum. By your comments its clear you look down on these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

He does not harbor animosity towards West Indians. I think hes just stating facts which are true that you don't want to hear.

Last edited by Relaxx; 08-23-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 AM

47 posts, read 68,046 times
Quote:
No, the thread has moved on beyond unemployment in NYC and AA men.

If you talk about the rates of poverty among Blacks nationally, a big part of it is many (including NYC) work in low wage jobs. Just as 20% of low wage temps are Blacks (both male and female, immigrant and US born are included in this states) so are 20% of low wage temps Latino (of all races, disproportionate as well). Of course there are many low wage white temps as well, it's just that Blacks and Latinos have disproportionately high numbers in that category.

That suggests the advice given to AA men on this forum (go to school and get an education) will not work out for the vast majority of them. If the vast majority of AA men in NYC got bachelor degrees it would still be back to temp jobs at warehouses, retail, etc. It'd take structural changes in the economy to change the plight of working class people, something this forum does not want to deal with.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City