Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 10:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And they will wait and wait and wait and wait, because the public sector is shrinking. Try to read Crain's. You might learn something.
I've read Crain's, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, Barron's, etc.

Your point?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Carly Fiorina, who was the CEO of Hewlett Packard, for her undergraduate degree had a degree in Medieval European History.
Which was useless. It wasn't until she received an MBA, that she was hired by AT&T, as a management trainee, at age 25. Her prior jobs were office temp, receptionist, real estate sales & teaching English in Italy ...

Old 08-30-2014, 01:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Sorry to come across as inconsiderate but don't you think black men have a hard time getting hired because their work ethics aren't great ? I cannot speak for all but very often I am less than pleased with the service I get from black (male or female) employees. Especially in a retail environment where frankly they couldn't give a F about anything. Not all please don't take this the wrong way but it seems like I am frequently confronted with bad attitudes and a lack of inspiration to help.

I guess if I was in a similar position I would feel the same way but you can't blame the business owners whose lively hood depends on the ability of their employees. In this regard mexicans win hands down as the ideal workers. They are polite hungry to work and manage themselves. I loathe having to deal with blacks in most working environments.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Which was useless. It wasn't until she received an MBA, that she was hired by AT&T, as a management trainee, at age 25. Her prior jobs were office temp, receptionist, real estate sales & teaching English in Italy ...
Carly Fiorina is a real B**CH and that's the qualification that helped propel her through her amazing career. Former odd jobs, history or buisness majors mean nothing. It's the cruel and heartless character that counts.

Last edited by oberon_1; 08-30-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Sorry to come across as inconsiderate but don't you think black men have a hard time getting hired because their work ethics aren't great ? I cannot speak for all but very often I am less than pleased with the service I get from black (male or female) employees. Especially in a retail environment where frankly they couldn't give a F about anything. Not all please don't take this the wrong way but it seems like I am frequently confronted with bad attitudes and a lack of inspiration to help.

I guess if I was in a similar position I would feel the same way but you can't blame the business owners whose lively hood depends on the ability of their employees. In this regard mexicans win hands down as the ideal workers. They are polite hungry to work and manage themselves. I loathe having to deal with blacks in most working environments.
It is known that different groups have different levels of culture, education level, economic level, and entrepreneurial skills.

However, I'm very critical of opinions like these because somehow they are used to justify racism.

You're judging black people by some bad experiences that you've had, but of course I'm not surprised thats the way it goes. Where everything negative one or a few black person does somehow represents all black people.

Mexico has some of the worlds most dangerous cities, as well as some of the world's biggest druglords, and they will kill their own people out of a desire to gain money or funds, where often innocent people are targeted and killed.

But of course you would never assign these traits to them because only black people do things like this...right? These are the opinions of people like you...and several other people who post on these forums.

Quote:
If they live as your buddies (just around AAs and West Indians) that in and itself is a major flaw and would definitely substantially reduce employment and other opportunities.

And this cannot be attributed solely to racism. It's a lack of curiousity about the greater world, and a fear of interacting with things that they aren't comfortable with.

A college education cannot alone eliminate social handicaps. Want to improve the calibur of work available to you? Then don't socialize in distant, poor AA/West Indian neighborhoods like Wakefield and ENY. Both are far from NYC job centers or the center of action, both are in no danger of gentrification, and neither neighborhood has anything going on in it.
I honestly think you and caribny should stop arguing this cause it seems like no type of solutions has been made and you just keep arguing the same arguments over and over again.

Last edited by Relaxx; 08-30-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Name one person who was a business major from a state school that did anything of note careerwise!
Several on this list:
The Nation's Top 10 Black-Owned Companies - The Root

Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
People with bachelors in engineering and the sciences also don't become CEOs. Generally you need a MBA if you want to be an executive.

So the point stands, in terms of rising to the top, STEM majors absolutely are no more successful than humanities majors.

Nearly all the politicians I named where humanities majors undergraduate, then they went to law school and got their JDs. Then they went into politics.

I think the disdain the working poor have of the humanities is that they don't understand them, as from some backgrounds there's a high rate of functional illiteracy.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

I honestly think you and caribny should stop arguing this cause it seems like no type of solutions has been made and you just keep arguing the same arguments over and over again.
The reason I continued is not because of CaribNY. Carib NY likes to paint one picture of Black people, and it's similar to the way racists like CNYC will take a couple of negative experiences with Blacks and extend them to all Black people.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
the very day I went to visit Cornell, police and fire fighters were at the bottom of the gorge looking for a student who jumped off a bridge and committed suicide. ... I hope they put up a net for would be jumpers on the Cornell campus.
Cornell Suicides: Nets To Cover Gorges Around School's Campus

Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

You know, you did both Mexicans and Blacks a huge disservice.

I hope you aren't suggesting Mexicans are mindless drones who are always happy and cheerful. No one of any race is.

I also don't know what kind of help you require. While it's certainly the job of a person in the retail/service sector to provide good customer service, there are lunatic customers who think they are kings. In a busy environment, it gets to the point where it's not worthwhile for the customer or the business itself to lavish attention on one needy customer. That maybe the attitude you're getting from retail employees.

When you go into a store, for the most part you buy what you need, go to the cash register, pay for it, and get out. You really shouldn't need help unless you're really having a hard time finding something. In today's era of cutbacks and checkout machines (cashier positions are being replaced by machines in the retail sector), it's figure it out for your self dude. Eventually you won't have to worry about anyone of any race helping you, it will all be the automated machine (remaining workers will be reserved for other tasks).

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-30-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City