Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times

Advertisements

Maintenance on that kind of apartment will EASILY run $3500/month. And that's lowballing it. I have a large apartment in a pre-war co-op and there's no way that I'm paying $1500/month. And in a condo, there'll be the real estate taxes, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Maintenance on that kind of apartment will EASILY run $3500/month. And that's lowballing it. I have a large apartment in a pre-war co-op and there's no way that I'm paying $1500/month. And in a condo, there'll be the real estate taxes, too.
I stand corrected. Ive never owned a co-op. Condos have lower mainainence costs.

Even more reason why the OP cant afford such an expensive home. Unless, as I said, they have a decent sized down payment saved up.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Condos aren't always that much cheaper, because there's the real estate tax to pay, as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I know of someone thinking they can rent in the Upper East/West Side, Chelsea or Greenwick areas for 3K a month (2 brms,2 bath,lvg,kitchen,study)! Native New Yorkers, how possible is this? Wants to send two kids to private schools and live the "good life". Combined salary? About $160K a year. I'm LMAO since I know the realities of NYC but biting my tongue. I have friends who make $200K a year and had to move to Brooklyn to even get by. Another friend makes about $300k and still couldn't afford two kids in private schools.

Thoughts on the 2bdrm, private school dream on $160K salary a year?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAttorney08 View Post
I know of someone thinking they can rent in the Upper East/West Side, Chelsea or Greenwick areas for 3K a month (2 brms,2 bath,lvg,kitchen,study)! Native New Yorkers, how possible is this? Wants to send two kids to private schools and live the "good life". Combined salary? About $160K a year. I'm LMAO since I know the realities of NYC but biting my tongue. I have friends who make $200K a year and had to move to Brooklyn to even get by. Another friend makes about $300k and still couldn't afford two kids in private schools.

Its impossible.
Its literally impossible.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAttorney08 View Post

The apartment described is a Classic 6, and there's no way that that could be had for $3k on the UES/UWS, unless it were literally falling apart, as in plaster dropping from the ceiling. A classic 6 does not generally have a study, but does have a formal dining room, and generally one maid's room, though some can have two. One of those rooms can be the study if it was not knocked out for a larger kitchen, as expected in modern apartments. A general range where I would expect to start finding good Classic 6s in those areas, would be around $6k, though some can top $10k. To qualify for the apartment, they would need 40-50x rent, depending upon building, in annual income, so a $6k apartment would need $240-$300k in annual income.

On $160k, they would be looking at a $4k max for rent, which would not get the UES/UWS anywhere near the desired apartment description. It could be possible to find it in Queens or a a good part of The Bronx, like Riverdale, within budget, on $160k, but not Manhattan. Even in Queens or The Bronx, the study could be problematic, though in a family building (i.e., not full-amenity luxury), a 3BR/2BA might be in range such that one room could be a study, but some secondary bedrooms are too small for children to share.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
A study? A study? I've only been in multi-million dollar apts or in long-time rent controlled units where the study had not long ago been converted to something useful.

Oh well, we can all dream.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,317 times
"Study" is not a hip word any more. On the high end, the riches call it library. For the average folks, it is a home office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: